72nd Pennsylvania Zouaves

Frederick14Va

Sergeant Major
Very nice period image grouping of unidentified members of the 72nd Pennsylvania Infantry... also known as Baxters Fire Zouaves... of the Philadelphia Brigade, II Corp, 2nd Div. AoP...

72PV-18034305-5.jpg

Just curious: were there any Zouave units on either side that continued to wear their unique uniforms throughout the war? Or renewed the uniform style after the war?
I've often heard that most threw them away about their first combat experience....

Last edited:
Just curious: were there any Zouave units on either side that continued to where their unique uniforms throughout the war? Or renewed the uniform style after the war?
I've often heard that most threw them away about their first combat experience....
I know the 114th Pennsylvania "Collis Zouaves", 5th New York "Duryee Zouaves", 165th New York "2nd Battalion Duryee Zouaves", and 8th Missouri "American Zouaves" all continued to wear their Zouave uniforms or at least elements of them throughout the war or up until they were mustered out of service.

The 140th and 146th New York and 155th Pennsylvania - the Zouave Brigade in the AoP - were all issued Zouave uniforms half way through the war due to their proficiency at drill and continued to wear them until the end of the war.

Often if they couldn't be supplied throughout their service then the uniforms quickly wore out with campaigning and were replaced with the standard government issue. But I don't believe I've ever heard of a regiment throwing their Zouave uniforms away following their first combat experience. Usually they were worn with a sense of pride, and not all were so red and flashy.

I know the 114th Pennsylvania "Collis Zouaves", 5th New York "Duryee Zouaves", 165th New York "2nd Battalion Duryee Zouaves", and 8th Missouri "American Zouaves" all continued to wear their Zouave uniforms or at least elements of them throughout the war or up until they were mustered out of service.

The 140th and 146th New York and 155th Pennsylvania - the Zouave Brigade in the AoP - were all issued Zouave uniforms half way through the war due to their proficiency at drill and continued to wear them until the end of the war.

Often if they couldn't be supplied throughout their service then the uniforms quickly wore out with campaigning and were replaced with the standard government issue. I don't believe I've ever heard of a regiment throwing their Zouave uniforms away fallowing their first combat experience. Usually they were worn with a sense of pride and not all were so red and flashy.
Thanks for your response!
So there were several who continued with the 'Sahara look'! I'll have to look into some of those you mention.

AKA The Philadelphia Fire Zouaves.
Organized in Philadelphia as the Third California Volunteer Infantry, one of four regiments of the California Brigade, a propaganda effort to demonstrate California support for the Union.
In late 1861 the Brigade became the Philadelphia Brigade, and units were renumbered as Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiments: Third CA became 72nd PA, First CA became 71st PA, Second CA became 69th PA. Fifth CA became 106th PA....

Just curious: were there any Zouave units on either side that continued to wear their unique uniforms throughout the war? Or renewed the uniform style after the war?

72Pa-Main-4c-448-026.jpg

When Ward took over the Brigade and force-marched them to Gettysburg, I understand that the R&F took umbrage when he had them cross a creek w/o removing their (distinctive) gaiters (while he rose his horse across, wearing boots). They then resumed the march in wet gaiters.

View attachment 133689

When Ward took over the Brigade and force-marched them to Gettysburg, I understand that the R&F took umbrage when he had them cross a creek w/o removing their (distinctive) gaiters (while he rose his horse across, wearing boots). They then resumed the march in wet gaiters.
Thanks for your response.
That conjures up interesting images. Imagine modern-day soldiers or Marines about to cross a stream, becoming angry because their CO rode past in a vehicle while they slogged through water and mud....
My advise to the 72nd? "Get used to it! You'r soldiers now!" (Other responses- with a lot more profanity- come to mind as well....)

Just to muddy the waters, this comment from someone not on the forums who has studied the 72nd with intent.

Not so sure they are 72nd PVI. Jackets, pants and hats aren’t right and no vests.
2nd corps badge but can’t tell division so I guess some other zous???

That conjures up interesting images. Imagine modern-day soldiers or Marines about to cross a stream, becoming angry because their CO rode past in a vehicle while they slogged through water and mud....

Soldiers complain. It's what they do. If they don't complain, leadership should take note.

Reactions: WJC
Were the members of the 72nd all Philadelphia city fireman?

No but almost every fire company of the city was represented within the regiment, most of whom had served under DeWitt Baxter in one of the early three-month regiments (the 19th, IIRC).

Ryan

Last edited:
Just to muddy the waters, this comment from someone not on the forums who has studied the 72nd with intent.

Not so sure they are 72nd PVI. Jackets, pants and hats aren’t right and no vests.
2nd corps badge but can’t tell division so I guess some other zous???

That's possible. There were a couple of other partial or full zouave units in the Second Corps.

Ryan

They were a rather star crossed unit according to at least one history of the 2nd Corps.

Back