71st Regiment, New York Militia

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This is an Otto Boettischer print of the 71st Regiment, New York Militia "The American Guard" in their 1853 uniform. I am posting this thread in an effort to discuss militia uniforms and why certain styles of uniforms were worn just prior to the Civil War.

The American Rifles formed as the American Rifles in 1849 under the Order of the United Americans, which was related to the Known Nothing Party. The American Rifles were formed to counter the militia companies being formed in New York City by foreign immigrants. To show that they were American and anti immigrant its choice of uniforms reflected this. The 71st adopted "American style uniforms" of the working class. In 1853 elite militia units often wore long tailed coatees (see the "silk-stocking 7th New York who wore coatees) and foreign born militia units often wore European style uniforms. In 1853 the simple frock coat was considered a working man's uniform. But as one can see here The American Guards still wanted to look impressive. In 1857 The American Guard switched to more modern caps. At the start of the Civil War fancy militia regiments where dropping the coatee and adopting the frock coat while many militia units who considered themselves "American working class" units were starting to wear blue or gray roundabout style jackets. The 7th Regiment of New York helped spearhead the drive by some militia units to look "American". Some militia units who were anti-immigrant adopted Continental style uniforms to demonstrate they were "Americans". Care should be used when viewing the wearing of Continental style uniforms as an anti-immigrant symbol because some militia units in 1851 adopted this style of uniform for the 75th anniversary of the American Revolution

The American Guards enlisted for 90 days at the start of the Civil War and were considered a well trained unit as can be seen by the fact they were selected to accompanied the New York fire Zouaves when they captured Alexandria Virginia, the first major Confederate town to fall to the Union. They went on to fight at the First Battle of Bull Run. Called to active service again during the Gettysburg Campaign they held Harrisburg and after the battle hurried back to New York to help quell the Draft Riot.
am rgt.jpg

Thanks for posting this.
The variety of uniforms worn by militia units must have made for interesting parades, something like modern-day highschool bands, each with a different style and different colors.

I should note that the image in post #1 is The American Guards but the date is mistaken this was later corrected. The problem was the image in post #1 shows The American Guard in the headwear it adopted in 1857 so is from 1857 or later. Here is what The American Guard looked like in 1853. This image shows them with their original long arms, do we need a cue on their arms?

am am.jpg

I should note that the image in post #1 is The American Guards but the date is mistaken this was later corrected. The problem was the image in post #1 shows The American Guard in the headwear it adopted in 1857 so is from 1857 or later. Here is what The American Guard looked like in 1853. This image shows them with their original long arms, do we need a cue on their arms?

They look like M. 1841 "Mississippi" Rifles to me.

A whole unit of those going off at once would be hard on the ears. I hate those two banders. Too short for those of us with three banders. What was their fatigue uniforms? our button sack and kepi, or the frock coats and tall 1851 shakos?

They look like M. 1841 "Mississippi" Rifles to me.

They do look like M. 1841 rifles. The reason is that important because they forms as The American Rifles and used the M. 1841 but in 1853 changed to muskets and became The American Guards.

Here is one of the silk-stocking militia units. These were popular not only in major East Coast cities but Southern cities and even Midwest towns and cities. One of the things about these elite was that their uniforms were expensive and thus they were made up of the sons of wealthy or upper middle class citizens. The very cost of the uniforms would keep the middle class from joining. The elite of the elite were usually hussar units that not only required very expensive uniform but special horse equipment as well. I am using the Milwaukee Light Guard as an example. Note the tall bearskins which were very costly. They coats were usually coatee tail coats with plenty of trim. Many of these units had white trousers for summer and overalls for rainy weather. This illustration shows the Milwaukee Light Guard also had fatigue uniforms as well. The cost of dress uniform, fatigue uniform and rent for an armory were out of the reach for most middle class citizens. The dress uniform was completely unfit for wearing to war and in many cases the fancy fatigue uniforms were impractical as well. When war came many of these elite units purchased or were provided with much simpler fatigue uniforms to wear to war. There are a fair number of photographs of both Northern and Southern pre war militia units wearing this style of uniform.

The Milwaukee Light Guard 1858.

mill.jpg

These uniforms look similar to the Detroit Light Guard. The description reads pretty much the same, at least for the dress uniform. How were they different?

The Detroit Daily Free Press indicated that when the Milwaukee Light Infantry visited in 1859, that the Detroit Light Infantry and the Milwaukee Light Infantry wore almost identical uniforms except the Detroit Light Guard wore light blue trousers and waist belts.

You should note that the Detroit Light Guard added a gray Zouave fatigue uniform in 1860.

“Visit of the Milwaukee Light Guard”, The Detroit Daily Free Press June 8 1859, p. 1, col. 1.

Last edited:
A whole unit of those going off at once would be hard on the ears. I hate those two banders. Too short for those of us with three banders. What was their fatigue uniforms? our button sack and kepi, or the frock coats and tall 1851 shakos?
Not if your unit knows their rifle drill.....

Although many of the elite militia companies had fatigue unifoms some of the more middle class militia units had but one uniform. They would leave off their epaulets, sashes and other dress items and wear their coats and trousers. Some units would have less expensive fatigue caps to save wear on their dress caps. Even some working class militia companies might have roundabout jackets and overall trousers for fatigue dress. The truth being that most militia companies did not do a lot of work that required fatigue dress and mostly marched in parades and such.

Even at encampment well off militia companies would have little need to do fatigue work. They hired people to set up their tents and do the cooking and such. Often fatigue uniforms would be worn in rainy wrather to keep the dress items from getting damaged in the wet weather. Who would want their bearskin cap smelling like a wet dog?.

Nice uniform. It is nice to see, as I usually see smaller images. This one is pretty big and I can see details usually missed. How many of these militia units served in the draft riots in their guard uniforms? I know it is easy to forget that they did see actual service, some died and lived and a number were injured. Thanks for posting!

The 71 New York as they looked when they defended Carlisle Pennsylvania from Confederate troops and wire when they help put down the New York Draft Roit. Note the New York uniform and the white belts.

View attachment 154395
I hate to disagree, but the uniform of the 71st (American Guard) was more in line with normal federal issue clothing in 1861 on, as can be seen in the attached photograph of them at Camp Douglas in 1861:

1920px-Infantry_camp._71st._N.Y._Inf._at_Camp_Douglas%2C_1861_-_NARA_-_524509_%28cropped%29.jpg

I hate to disagree, but the uniform of the 71st (American Guard) was more in line with normal federal issue clothing in 1861 on, as can be seen in the attached photograph of them at Camp Douglas in 1861:

View attachment 154440

You may be right. Are they wearing legging in the photo? The man in front seems to wear russet leggings but the second man from the left is wearing something that would be too tall to be a normal Civil War legging. In fact the second man from the left wears something that looks more like false boot tops.

Also one should note the very short hair. Does the man on the left have an odd collar on his coat (well odd when campared to the collars of the other men).

View attachment 154440
In full disclaimer, this photo has been attributed to both the 71st militia 90 day unit and 71st NYSM 3 year unit. The two band Enfield should give a better idea.

You may be right. Are they wearing legging in the photo? The man in front seems to wear russet leggings but the second man from the left is wearing something that would be too tall to be a normal Civil War legging. In fact the second man from the left wears something that looks more like false boot tops.

Also one should note the very short hair. Does the man on the left have an odd collar on his coat (well odd when campared to the collars of the other men).
I find this picture fascinating, the slippers on the corporal and the diverse headgear.

No, I think he just rolled his collar, it also appears that he got "duded" up for the photo, but was too lazy to change shoes.

Back