Trivia Question 7-26-19 Matching

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
The Yankees’s Had A Picnic

The Yanks went out to the field that day and got a big surprise,
they thought the Rebs would lose this fight, they were not very wise!!
The sandwiches are passed around, it’s going to be a blast,
for they thought the south they’d whip, and this war won’t last.

In time the fighting does begin, they knew their side would win,
but soon the tide is turning, this picnic quickly ends.
The Yanks are in a panic as their army’s in a rout,
a senator finds a loaded gun, as he threatens and he shouts.

A Rebel shell hits a buggy, a buggy rolls on the grass,
this senator needs to get away, a mule he finds at last.
The enemy is getting strong, how the Yankees flee,
a senator blocks the busy road, yet no one hears his pleas.

Someone was not so lucky; for he could not run run away,
so now he is in Richmond, in prison he will stay.
This wasn’t quite the picnic they thought their side would win,
a senator limps to D.C.; “he’ll not do this again”.

A glorious win for the Rebels, they proved that they would fight,
a horrible day for those in blue as they ran away in fright.
The Yankees taught a lesson for their arrogance and pride,
as they ran to Washington for safety and to hide.

"Match ‘Em Up - A Number With A Letter"

1 - He grabbed a gun
2 - Lost buggy/rode mule
3 - Blocked the road
4 - Went to Richmond
5 - Will never do this again

A - Zachariah Chandler
B - James Grimes
C - Ben Wade
D - Henry Wilson
E - Alfred Ely

credit: @DBF
1- He grabbed a gun: C- Ben Wade;
2- Lost buggy/rode mule: D- Henry Wilson;
3- Blocked the road: A- Zachariah Chandler;
4- Went to Richmond: E- Alfred Ely;
5- Will never do this again: B- James Grimes.

bonus:
Though not a combat soldier during the Civil War, I nevertheless, made an important contribution to the Army.
Unfortunately, because of my line of work, I became a very popular target for enemy fire!
Who am I ?

credit: @sarladaise
Thaddeus S. C. Lowe (1832-1913).

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
The only one of these I definitely know is E - Alfred Ely who had the dubious distinction of being the one who was captured and subsequently imprisoned; I would like to comment though, that Chandler, Wade, and possibly the others became members of the witch-hunting committee of oversight that was a bane of the Union high command, and wonder what their negative experiences at Bull Run had on their sour attitudes!

Edit - You're right about Ely, but you needed all five to get credit for a correct response.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallyfish

First Sergeant
I opened up today's question and thought, didn't we just have this question? Duh, I answered it yesterday, dummy! However, I did reread the bonus question and maybe the question is looking for a person versus a non combatant "group" answer such as the color guard.

That "I" stuck out like a sore thumb when I reread the question today (not so yesterday). So assuming the question is looking for an individual, I am changing my answer to President Abraham Lincoln. He clearly was a non combatant and with his stovetop hat and 6'4" frame making him an inviting target for the confederates such as the events at Fort Stevens proved. Get down you **** fool was uttered. And he did make important contributions to the army.

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
A - Zachariah Chandler: 3 - Blocked the road.
B - James Grimes: 5 - Will never do this again.
C - Ben Wade: 1 - He grabbed a gun.
D - Henry Wilson: 2 - Lost buggy/rode mule.
E - Alfred Ely: 4 - Went to Richmond.

Bonus:
Another guess, but I'm going to sat Thaddeus S. C. Lowe, Chief Aeronaut of the U.S. Army Balloon Corps.

Bonus:

With tongue in cheek ... I think you are non other than President Abraham Lincoln!

Of course you were not a combat soldier during the Civil War - and without any doubt you made an important contribution to the Army!
In your line of work it was your task to review the troops at the front from time to time, and unfortunately at one of these occasions your unmistakeable outward appearance, your tall body and signature stovepipe hat made you a very popular target for the enemy.

My answer is best illustrated and proven by this well known event:
"Located atop the parapet of Fort Stevens is a commemorative stone dedicated to Abraham Lincoln, and his involvement with the fort on the second day of the Battle of Fort Stevens. On July 12, 1864, President Lincoln stood atop the parapet of the fort to witness the battle and came under direct fire of Confederate sharpshooters. It is the only time in American history in which a sitting president came under direct fire from an enemy combatant.
Many individuals claimed to be the one to encourage President Lincoln down from the parapet. The most notable individual was a young officer named Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. His remarks to the president were short and straightforward:
“Get down, you **** fool!”

https://www.nps.gov/articles/president-lincoln-under-fire-at-fort-stevens.htm

(Now think about it - doesn't Old Abe fit all requirements of the question?!)

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Matching
1. Grabbed a gun: C - Ben Wade
2. Lost buggy/rode mule: D - Henry Wilson
3. Blocked the road: A - Zachariah Chandler
4. Went to Richmond: E - Alfred Ely
5. Will never do this again: B - James Grimes

BONUS:
Later. This is a conundrum. I'll try to come up with something later. First I have to figure out if the desired answer is a specific person -- like the guy at Cold Harbor who was in charge of the Fresnel lens. :D Or a kind of person - like a flag bearer? Ill post my final answer later - after I have time to do some research.

SWMODave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Thread Medic
no update on bonus so I am apparentlymissing the word or phrase clue that would identify any one person or groups of persons from any other civilian or non military contractor that might be targeted by artillery. Sutlers, surgeons, medical personnel, ....? Looking forward to answer so I can figure out what I am missing

Eleanor Rose

Captain
Forum Host
Bonus: I think this answer could also be drummer boys based on this source. It states, "In battle, they were strategic targets for marksmen, for silencing the drum cut off communication to the troops."

I'm hoping more than one answer will be accepted for the bonus question. I'm going to go with this one as my final answer.

Edit - Although some sources indicate that drummer boys were usually moved to the rear so that they would not be easy targets, your source indicates that in fact, they were strategic targets and that there was a reason why they should be considered such. Therefore, I will accept drummer boys as a correct answer.

hoosier

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
BONUS:
Although I believe a strong case could be made for a number of possible answers, I'm going with:
Color Bearers. They were soldiers, though not a combat soldiers and they contributed to the Army by providing a visual guide for movement of the regiment. The color bearers became a target for enemy fire because of the visibility of the flag and the important role the flag played in guiding the men.

"Being a color bearer was considered a mark of great distinction and it required a soldier of extraordinary bravery. The job was to carry the flag where the regimental officers directed, while unarmed and under fire. As the regimental flags were so conspicuous in battle, they were often used as a target for rifle and artillery fire. Of course, the mortality rate of color bearers was high." https://www.thoughtco.com/flags-importance-in-the-civil-war-1773716

Edit - See edit to post # 4.

hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.