7-21-21 Not just Women's Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
He was many things; during his life he was a school teacher, printer, newspaper editor, journalist, poet and even a carpenter. He also
penned a variety of poetry and prose, including essays, articles, reviews, fiction and nonfiction for the periodical press, speeches, and autobiographical works.

When the Civil War was just ending its second year, he adopted a new role.

Who was this individual ?
What was the new role he adopted ?

credit: @warbird43

Walt Whitman became a nurse in 1862.

Source: https://www.online.drexel.edu/news/digital-dragon.aspx/year-of-the-nurse-whitman

I didn't know that Whitman had been a carpenter, and I was delighted to find this photo of his carpentry shop, dated 1852, in the Library of Congress. (I assume that's a local character posing in the street.)

1626900268048.png

1626900167786.png

He was many things; during his life he was a school teacher, printer, newspaper editor, journalist, poet and even a carpenter. He also
penned a variety of poetry and prose, including essays, articles, reviews, fiction and nonfiction for the periodical press, speeches, and autobiographical works.

When the Civil War was just ending its second year, he adopted a new role.

Who was this individual ?
What was the new role he adopted ?

credit: @warbird43
Who was this individual? Walt Whitman (1819-1892).
What was the new role he adopted? In December 1862, he arranged to work in Washington part-time in the Army Paymaster's office, so that he could work as a volunteer nurse in DC area Army hospitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back