7-2-21 Man Overboard! Independence Day Bonus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
This foreign born Civil War general and division commander emigrated with his family to the United States as a twelve year old. During the voyage he was washed overboard into the frigid Atlantic Ocean where he survived for 35 minutes before being rescued. During the year 1866 he would be dismissed from the Army for being AWOL and arrested for violations of the neutrality law before being reinstated to the army at his former rank. Who was he?

credit: @ErnieMac

🎆 Happy 4th of July! 🎆

I was a high-achieving West Point grad who made a career of the Army before turning to politics for almost a decade before the Civil War (including a tenure that has become more controversial over time.) When war came, I was named Colonel of a New York regiment - my appointment didn't upset any skirts. I was made a Brigadier General a couple of months later, and I was likely one of the shortest men to wear a star for the United States in the war. I was killed in battle while commanding a Division. My death is not as well known as the death of another, equally brilliant, division commander at the same battle.

1) Who am I?
2) What regiment did I command at the start of the war?
3) At what battle was I killed?
4) How tall was I?

credit: @JeffFromSyracuse

*Reminder No Trivia Posted Monday! Have a Great Weekend!

Main question: Credit for question.

Independence Day Bonus questions:
1) Who am I? Isaac Ingalls Stevens.
2) What regiment did I command at the start of the war? 79th New York Infantry (Cameron Highlanders).
3) At what battle was I killed? Chantilly.
4) How tall was I? 5'-3".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Stevens#Civil_War

This foreign born Civil War general and division commander emigrated with his family to the United States as a twelve year old. During the voyage he was washed overboard into the frigid Atlantic Ocean where he survived for 35 minutes before being rescued. During the year 1866 he would be dismissed from the Army for being AWOL and arrested for violations of the neutrality law before being reinstated to the army at his former rank. Who was he?

credit: @ErnieMac
Thomas William 'Fighting Tom' Sweeny (1820-1892).
Source: William Montgomery Sweeny, "Brigadier-General Thomas W. Sweeny, U. S. A.- A Biographical Sketch- 1820-1892", The Journal of the American-Irish Historical Society. (Boston: American-Irish Historical Society, 1899), Vol. II, pp. 193-201.

🎆 Happy 4th of July! 🎆

I was a high-achieving West Point grad who made a career of the Army before turning to politics for almost a decade before the Civil War (including a tenure that has become more controversial over time.) When war came, I was named Colonel of a New York regiment - my appointment didn't upset any skirts. I was made a Brigadier General a couple of months later, and I was likely one of the shortest men to wear a star for the United States in the war. I was killed in battle while commanding a Division. My death is not as well known as the death of another, equally brilliant, division commander at the same battle.

1) Who am I?
2) What regiment did I command at the start of the war?
3) At what battle was I killed?
4) How tall was I?

credit: @JeffFromSyracuse

*Reminder No Trivia Posted Monday! Have a Great Weekend!
1. Isaac Ingalls Stevens (1818-1862).
2. 79th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment .
3. Battle of Chantilly, Sept. 1, 1862).
4. 5'3".
Source: "Isaac Stevens", Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Stevens#Governor_(1853–1857)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back