Trivia 7-15-19 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two answers to this question. The first would be Colonel Paul Revere of the 20th Massachusetts who was mortally wounded at Gettysburg. The second would be Assistant Surgeon Edward Revere, Paul's brother, also of the 20th Massachusetts, who was killed at Antietam.

Since the question asks who was mortally wounded, technically it was Colonel Paul Revere, but Assistant Surgeon Edward Revere was killed as well and often mortally wounded and killed are used interchangibly.

Perhaps this might be the grandson of Paul Revere - Paul Joseph Revere fighting for the 20th Massachusetts at Gettysburg, was wounded and died July 4, 1863.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/5845791/paul-joseph-revere

However -
“Paul Revere, an activist in the Patriot movement, rode that night with two other men, Samuel Prescott and William Dawes. Only one of them succeeded in reaching Concord to warn of the British invasion. After they left Lexington, Revere, Prescott and Dawes were arrested and detained by a British patrol. Prescott was the first to escape and set off for Concord, where he warned its residents to protect the ammunition and weapons stored in a hidden depot near the town. Dawes later escaped as well, although by some accounts he became lost in the dark and never made it to Concord.” quote from **
**https://history.howstuffworks.com/history-vs-myth/did-paul-revere-really-yell-british-are-coming.htm

But it appears that Samuel Prescott (1751-1777) died approximately between 25-26 years old with no record of wife or children.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7752485/samuel-prescott

William Dawes (1745-1799) had a great-grandson that served in the Civil War - Rufus R. Dawes (1838-1899) but does not fit the clues.
Source from Wikipedia (names and dates)

By process of elimination (based on the clues) my answer is Paul Joseph Revere.

My Grandfather made the midnight right before Lexington and Concord. I was mortally wounded in battle for the Union. Who am I?

credit: @Ian.a8404
Paul Joseph Revere (1832-1863) Colonel, 20th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment. He died of wounds received in the Battle of Gettysburg. On July 2, 1863, while lying in his tent behind Cemetery Hill, a shell fragment tore into his left lung. He lingered for two days before dying in the II Corps Field Hospital.
(Earlier, his older brother, Edward Hutchinson Revere (1827-1862), Assistant Surgeon with the same regiment, was shot and killed while caring for a wounded soldier in the Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862.
A third brother, Joseph Warren Revere (1812-1880), retired as Brevet Major General following a controversial repositioning of his troops in the Battle of Chancellorsville.)

Two of Paul Revere's grandsons died fighting for the Union. Joseph Revere was mortally wounded at The Battle Of Gettysburg and died two days later on July 4, 1863.

Edward Hutchinson Revere fought in the Battle Of Antietam and was shot and killed while caring for a wounded soldier.

Since the question asks for the one "mortally wounded in battle" I'm going with Joseph Revere. Likely either name should count. :smile:

Edit - Paul Revere had three grandsons who served in the Union Army during the Civil War. The one who was mortally wounded at Gettysburg was named Paul Joseph Revere. Another grandson, named Joseph Warren Revere, survived the Civil War. Since you only gave first and last name, I have to mark the answer of Joseph Revere incorrect.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back