Trivia 7-14-17 Confederate Governors

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Marmaduke - the 25th Governor of Missouri - and Sterling Price, who served as the 11th Governor of Missouri. Claiborne Jackson became influential and wealthy from teaming up with his father in law, Dr. John Sappington and manufactured and sold "Dr. Sappington's Anti-Fever Pills" - a medicinal cure for malaria. The pills were widely distributed and a best-seller, especially in the American south and the then-Mexican southwest due to Saline Counties proximity to the Santa Fe trail.

Bonus: Henry Thomas Harrison. The song by Johnny Rivers was "Secret Agent Man"

Last edited by a moderator:
Main question: In answer to the first part of the question, Claiborne Jackson and Thomas Caute Reynolds were the two Confederate governors.

I'm guessing that the second part of the question, asking what Jackson was also known for, refers to his indignant refusal to provide any Missouri troops to suppress the rebellion, calling Lincoln's request for such troops illegal, unconstitutional, inhuman, and diabolical, among other things.

Bonus: Henry Harrison

Claiborne Fox Jackson (April 4, 1806 – December 6, 1862) was governor of Missouri from January 1861 until July 1861, when the State Convention declared the governor's office vacant after Jackson took off. After Jackson died in 1862, Thomas Caute Reynolds (October 11, 1821 – March 30, 1887) became the second - and last - "Confederate Governor" of Missouri.

Claiborne Jackson was also well known for going into business with his father-in-law to make and sell "Dr. Sappington's Anti-Fever Pills" for malaria, and did pretty well with this. He may also have been well known given the incredibly creepy fact that he married three Sappington sisters, one after the other. Not cool, dude.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Claiborne_Fox_Jackson&oldid=789535218
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Thomas_Caute_Reynolds&oldid=787751238

BONUS: This is Henry Thomas Harrison, who did good scouting work for James Longstreet.
https://www.nps.gov/people/henry-thomas-harrison.htm

Assuming you mean men who served as Governor of Missouri and also served in the Confederate Army? (Not necessarily in that order?)
Maj Gen Sterling Price; 11th Governor of Missouri (1853-1857)
Maj Gen John S Marmaduke; 25th Governor of Missouri (1885-1887)

Governor Claiborne Fox Jackson (15th Governor of Missouri) was known for falsely claiming loyalty to the Union and moderate stance on secession to gain election in 1860; refusing Lincoln's call to supply to troops; clandestinely collaborating with the Confederate Government; being present with his State Guard at the battle of Booneville; leading the Confederate troops to victory at the Battle of Carthage; and being ousted from the governorship by the state's provisional government. http://www.civilwaronthewesternborder.org/encyclopedia/jackson-claiborne-fox

Bonus:

Henry Thomas Harrison
(23 April 1832 – 28 October 1923)
http://www.civilwarprofiles.com/henry-harrison-secret-agent-man/

Last edited by a moderator:
I am making myself look very bad, but I here is my last and hopefully final answer.

The 2 Confederate Governors were Claiborne Fox Jackson and Thomas Caute Reynolds.

The session, and therefore the vote, was not legal, as it did not have a majority of members present. The results of the vote were accepted by the Confederate Government though, and Jackson would serve as the governor of the Missouri government in exile until his death on December 6, 1862.

Thomas Caute Reynolds
(October 11, 1821 – March 30, 1887) was Confederate Governor of the divided border-state of Missouri in the American Civil War, following the death of Claiborne Jackson. He would govern from Marshall Texas.

Main second question. Jackson was a successful chemist. Jackson worked with his father-in-law in the manufacture and sale of "Dr. Sappington's Anti-Fever Pills" which were for malaria. He also was a Banking Commissioner doing good work in establishing bank controls. But his work on the Malaria pill is better known.

https://www.awesomestories.com/asset/view/Claiborne-Jackson-Missouri-s-Governor
Reynolds source is Wikipedia.

Bonus. Credit for question submission.

I wish questions could be edited or deleted as I would not look so bad. My apologies again.

One more statement to complete my answer regarding Governor Claiborne Jackson - at the battle of Carthage - he became the first sitting U.S. Governor to lead troops into battle against the Union to which his state belonged. I think puts in one thought what he might have been "most" remembered doing.

Friday Question - Claiborne Fox Jackson and Thomas Caute Reynolds were the 2 Confederate Missouri governors. As far as what Jackson was known for, that's rather subjective but I'll say IMHO, he was known for sponsoring the Jackson Resolutions, named after him which asserted that Congress had no power to limit or prohibit slavery in the territories. He was also known as a back-stabber claiming that he was pro-Union while running as the Democrat candidate for governor in 1860 while secretly plotting to lead Missouri out of the Union in secession after he had won the governor's race, although a majority of the citizens were against secession. And finally, IMHO, Jackson is known for his response to President Lincoln's initial call for troops:
"Sir: Your dispatch of the 15th instant, making a call on Missouri for four regiments of men for immediate service, has been received. There can be, I apprehend, no doubt that the men are intended to form a part of the President's army to make war upon the people of the seceded states. Your requisition, in my judgment, is illegal, unconstitutional, and revolutionary in its object, inhuman, and diabolical and cannot be complied with. Not one man will the State of Missouri furnish to carry on any unholy crusade."

Friday Bonus - Johnny Rivers' 1966 hit of Secret Agent Man must mean you are Henry Thomas Harrison, the informant

Claiborne Fox Jackson was also known as a successful manufacturing chemist. He also worked with his father-in-law in the manufacture and sale of Dr. Sappington's Anti-Fever Pills which was a patent medicine cure for Malaria. The other MO Confederate Governor was Thomas Caute Reynolds following Jackson's death.
********************************************************************************
Bonus: Henry Harrison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back