6th Massachusetts Volunteer Militia in Baltimore

General Casey

First Sergeant
6th_Massachusetts_in_Baltimore.jpg

Picture taken on July 1, 1861 of the 6th Massachusetts Volunteer Militia in Monument Square, Baltimore

The 6th Mass had uncomfortable memories of Baltimore. Back on April 19th, passing through on the way to the relief of Washington, a mob attacked them, causing the first bloodshed of the war.

When the photo was taken, they must have been just preparing to leave the city after another visit. During most of June and July, the 6th was in camp at Relay House, between Baltimore. According to the diary of a member of Co. E:
6mvi.jpg
The regiment passed through Baltimore on the way home, on July 29th.

The 6th Mass had uncomfortable memories of Baltimore. Back on April 19th, passing through on the way to the relief of Washington, a mob attacked them, causing the first bloodshed of the war.

When the photo was taken, they must have been just preparing to leave the city after another visit. During most of June and July, the 6th was in camp at Relay House, between Baltimore. According to the diary of a member of Co. E:
The regiment passed through Baltimore on the way home, on July 29th.

Ah- was wondering if it was the same regiment. Crazy to see them back there, makes you wonder what any of them thought while posing for this photo. Heck, for anything we know the shot was taken exactly because of their history there.

Yes the monument is still there. Its to commemorate the citizens of Baltimore who died during the war of 1812. It's called the Baltimore Battle Monument. We have some fantastic monuments in that area, not far from there is our Washington Monument.

We tend to make the hop down to Hopkins- and it's ridiculously interesting although we were discouraged from poking around near Johns Hopkins itself. Next time down will look this one up, any recommendations would be welcome about more. Ravens aside, it's a hugely interesting city. :angel: Sorry- Steelers girl. Couldn't resist.

Ah- was wondering if it was the same regiment. Crazy to see them back there, makes you wonder what any of them thought while posing for this photo. Heck, for anything we know the shot was taken exactly because of their history there.

We tend to make the hop down to Hopkins- and it's ridiculously interesting although we were discouraged from poking around near Johns Hopkins itself. Next time down will look this one up, any recommendations would be welcome about more. Ravens aside, it's a hugely interesting city. :angel: Sorry- Steelers girl. Couldn't resist.

"...we were discouraged from poking around near Johns Hopkins itself."

Discouraged by whom? Why?

If you are taking about the main hospital grounds, which is geographically separate from the undergraduate campus, then I can understand. That area has a reputation for street crime.

This is an amazing image, thanks for sharing! I'm curious about the July date though, as they appear to be wearing greatcoats.

Great pic, thanks for sharing. IIRC the 6th was later alongside/ with the 11th MA, the "Boston Volunteers," that afternoon on Henry Hill during first Manassas.

This is an amazing image, thanks for sharing! I'm curious about the July date though, as they appear to be wearing greatcoats.

Yeah, very odd. I wonder if they were wearing frock coats which were generally longer. I'll take a look through their regimental history and see if I can find anything in regards to their June - July 1861 Baltimore time

As clear as the soldiers are it appears they were in the middle of a halt from marching. Definitely at rest right in the middle of a thoroughfare, I cannot believe they would remain idle for long. Makes me feel they were somewhere mid-march, beginning or end, and the photographer happened to be nearby and saw opportunity.
Lubliner.

Back