6th Annual WHL Wallace Memorial Event, Illinois, 2017

LoriAnn

Retired User
This past Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending this event, dedicated to General WHL Wallace.

WHL_Wallace.jpg

Photo credit to Wiki

"At the Battle of Shiloh, Wallace, as a division commander, managed to withstand six hours of assaults, located in the famous Hornet’s Nest. When his division was finally surrounded, he ordered a withdrawal and many escaped, but he was mortally wounded and only later found barely alive on the battlefield by his troops.

He was carried from the field and his wife joined him afterwards. She tended to him, until he died three days later in her arms. His last words were “We meet in heaven.” He is buried in in Ottawa, Illinois at his home. His war horse, Prince, is buried next to the General."

OttawaHistory.org

It was on the smaller side, but what it lacked it size, it made up for in enthusiasm. I met some very nice people who I hope to see again at future events. I shall link to my full album here:

6th Annual WHL Wallace Memorial

I'll share a few highlight photos in this thread. :smile:

Great shots as always @LoriAnn ! I think you need to take a winter trip down here with your camera.
Thank you! Will you let me lurk around camp and get photos of you? :smug:

Some very good pictures @LoriAnn I have some favorites of course. People tend to forget about Wallace, killed so early in the war at Shiloh. It's one of those Civil War stories that end in heartbreak.
Thank you, Mo. :happy: (Like how I've started calling you "Mo"?)

Great pics! Thanks!
Thank you, Albert! When and where is your next event?

Thank you! Will you let me lurk around camp and get photos of you? :smug:

Thank you, Mo. :happy: (Like how I've started calling you "Mo"?)

Thank you, Albert! When and where is your next event?
Of course but I bet you'll find much better looking mugs than mine to take pictures of. I'll even set you up a tent so you can get the full experience.

Of course but I bet you'll find much better looking mugs than mine to take pictures of. I'll even set you up a tent so you can get the full experience.
I bet your mug is just fine. :smile:

Oh man. You are very kind, but I couldn't do that to you. You would not want to be part of my very first camping experience. :D (Unless your plan was to set me up amongst the enemy, which is pretty darn clever.)

There'd be you, trying to be normal.
Then there'd be me:

"It's hot out here."
"Where's the ladies room?"
"Is that fully cooked?"
"OMG SOMETHING TOUCHED MY LEG!!"
"I'm itchy. Are you itchy?"
"There's a Starbucks around here, right? There has to be."
"Oh, here...I have baby wipes. And hand sanitizer. And nag champa oil."
"I brought my favorite New Age CDs everyone!"
"Ew, I smell like smoke."
"I'll just roll out my yoga mat right here."
"I'm gonna go find General Lee."
"Are there bears around here?"

:tongue:

On the other hand, if some of the CWT girls wanna join me, that could be fun! For example... @Eleanor Rose @Cavalry Charger @AshleyMel . Or perhaps @donna and @Anna Elizabeth Henry . And that's just off the top of my head. All ladies would be welcome to help provide shenanigans. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I bet your mug is just fine. :smile:

Oh man. You are very kind, but I couldn't do that to you. You would not want to be part of my very first camping experience. :D (Unless your plan was to set me up amongst the enemy, which is pretty darn clever.)

There'd be you, trying to be normal.
Then there'd be me:

"It's hot out here."
"Where's the ladies room?"
"Is that fully cooked?"
"OMG SOMETHING TOUCHED MY LEG!!"
"I'm itchy. Are you itchy?"
"There's a Starbucks around here, right? There has to be."
"Oh, here...I have baby wipes. And hand sanitizer. And nag champa oil."
"I brought my favorite New Age CDs everyone!"
"Ew, I smell like smoke."
"I'll just roll out my yoga mat right here."
"I'm gonna go find General Lee."
"Are there bears around here?"

:tongue:

On the other hand, if some of the CWT girls wanna join me, that could be fun! For example... @Eleanor Rose @Cavalry Charger @AshleyMel . Or perhaps @donna and @Anna Elizabeth Henry . And that's just off the top of my head. All ladies would be welcome to help provide shenanigans. :thumbsup:
I think I have this covered, there's hand sanitizer in the outhouses, I make pretty darn good coffee, better than Starbuck's I think, usually not too hot in the winter and I always have some stuff in a mason jar to not think about any of the other stuff. Now all you girls on a road trip would be something, you should do it.

Camping?! Oh my!:frantic:
I grew up doin' that stuff! Been there done that! :bear::frog::beaver:
It would be fun with all us girls though! :wub:
I do LOVE shenanigans! All the shenanigans, in fact!

And I LOVE your pictures! Wonderful faces! Wonderful people!
Thank you, Ashley. :smile:

Yeah. You girls are the only ones who could get me out there. We'd have to break into the boys' moonshine.

If y'all could do that and make a documentary of the trip, I'd pay top dollar to watch it!! You gals make me laugh just in y'all's written posts- can only imagine how hilarious y'all be together on screen!

Back