69 caliber belted ball

foxholefrank

Cadet
Ok guys,
I've been relic hunting for over 50 years and have dug many round balls, but none like this. I feel its intentional belt not a mold mark. There's no sprue mark. They measure about .64 cal for the ball and 65 cal adding the belt. I found them in a union camp up north. I have thought of a swage built ball, or a possible ball for a early breechloader such as a Hall. I have found about 25 of them. The photo is just an example. One is fired and has a flat side with possible rifling but not positive. The fired example looks as if it was in a breechloader as its really squezzed through as if being oversized.
I would appreciate any ideas you may have.
FOXHOLEFRANK

balls.jpg

These are very early belted bullets as you suspected and they were used in the 2 groove Brunswick or Jacobs rifle. The all so made a 4 groove.

Thanks very much for your input. I thought of Brunswick and failed to mention it. I feel these balls are not Brunswick as the belt is far more narrow and not near as pronounced as a Brunswick.. The caliber seems to be off too for a 70 caliber Brunswick. Don't get me wrong for I do appreciate the input . Its possible the could be a varient of Brunswick balls.
Thanks, Foxholefrank.

Hmm.... well, if you don’t think Them Brunswick perhaps you might consider a variant of case-shot balls? Were artillery fragments found nearby?

@Tom Hughes might have some insight.
I noticed the same thing Alan. The last ball shown looks to have some iron rust on it and possibly some tar. Sure looks like a case shot ball.
I've only dug one .69 calibre round ball with a similar belt around it. I thought it was just a mold mark. Great I.D. !!

Thanks, Its not a mold line or mark at all, its too pronounced. No rust or tar either. Its not case shot as its from a union conscript camp in New England with no artillery I know what you mean about the tar and iron. Thanks very much for your input.
Foxholefrank
Well, post the pictures on treasurenet.com under “what is it” forum. Perhaps Pete George will see it and weigh in on the matter.

I have gone thru all 3 of my bullet books and its either a very worn Brunswick mold or a lot of mold seam on a musket ball or some gunsmith was making barrels of the Brunswick pattern only smaller grooves (which is a stretch)

Try here http://www.bulletandshell.com/forum/

Last edited:
Hello Tom Hughes,
Now that seems to be the same type round ball. I'm just not sure what it is. I know there was some Brunswicks at Vicksburg with the 26th or 27th La. Infantry, but I don't know if they fired belted balls or minies made for them. I really wonder if its Brunswick at all. Its good to see a photo of one that somebody else dug. Please let me know if you learn more. Thanks very much for sending this.
Frank McGlothlin

Hello Tom Hughes,
Now that seems to be the same type round ball. I'm just not sure what it is. I know there was some Brunswicks at Vicksburg with the 26th or 27th La. Infantry, but I don't know if they fired belted balls or minies made for them. I really wonder if its Brunswick at all. Its good to see a photo of one that somebody else dug. Please let me know if you learn more. Thanks very much for sending this.
Frank McGlothlin
Thanks, Frank.
Very interesting indeed.
I thought my bullet looked a lot like yours too. It is the only one I've ever found that had that belted seam.
It may just be that it's a mold seam. But in my 40 years of hunting Vicksburg area sites, this was the first one like this I had ever found too.

Hey Tom,
I feel it can be a mold seam as the belt is so deep. The mold had to a groove cut in it . There's also no sprue mark on any of them. I feel if it was a mold seam then there would be a space on the belt or seam for the sprue.
Thanks again,
Frank

Hey Tom,
I feel it can be a mold seam as the belt is so deep. The mold had to a groove cut in it . There's also no sprue mark on any of them. I feel if it was a mold seam then there would be a space on the belt or seam for the sprue.
Thanks again,
Frank
Do you want me to post your pictures on Treasurenet.com and see what response we get from there?

Back