.69 Caliber 3 Ringers at Nashville

texasrig26

Cadet
I am soliciting help in trying to identify which units would have been firing .69 caliber weapons at Nashville. I have recently found a half dozen or so dropped and/or wormed 3 ringers in a yard on the Confederate Right, and I am trying to determine who would have been carrying these. I have read that the USCT may have been carrying these, but I do not have any substantiated proof of that. I have also heard that some Confederate batteries included .69s in their canister and case shot, and I have found both canister and case at this location as well. Does anyone have any info that could help? Thanks!
IMG_3004 (002).jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. This is going to be a tough one as we will need more info such as just what area they came from and a list of the units that were there. Then the hard part starts tracking down the ordnance records of the units.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. This is going to be a tough one as we will need more info such as just what area they came from and a list of the units that were there. Then the hard part starts tracking down the ordnance records of the units.
I'll get more detail on the individual units, but this location is just South of the Peach Orchard Hill and would have involved S.D. Lee's Corp and Steedman on the Federal side probably as he was on the extreme Federal left. Thanks!

I am soliciting help in trying to identify which units would have been firing .69 caliber weapons at Nashville. I have recently found a half dozen or so dropped and/or wormed 3 ringers in a yard on the Confederate Right, and I am trying to determine who would have been carrying these. I have read that the USCT may have been carrying these, but I do not have any substantiated proof of that. I have also heard that some Confederate batteries included .69s in their canister and case shot, and I have found both canister and case at this location as well. Does anyone have any info that could help? Thanks!

Several years ago I wrote an article for Tennessee Historical Quarterly that analyzed the Confederate Army of Tennessee's infantry inspection reports for shortly after the fall of Atlanta. In the article I didn't get down to the level of individual regiments, but I did keep my detailed spreadsheets.

After a quick glance it appears that the following regiments reported having at least some .69 caliber weapons in their inventory.

29th and 30th Mississippi
23rd Alabama
46th Alabama
18th Alabama
36th Alabama
38th Alabama
32nd & 58th Alabama
1st Cav (dismounted) and 66th Georgia

Obviously, there may have been some changes between Atlanta and Nashville. The reports were incomplete and some of the text was illegible. However, this list might give you an educated guess about which rebels might have been shooting .69s at Nashville.

If there is a particular regiment you're curious about, please let me know and I can double check my sources.

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

Several years ago I wrote an article for Tennessee Historical Quarterly that analyzed the Confederate Army of Tennessee's infantry inspection reports for shortly after the fall of Atlanta. In the article I didn't get down to the level of individual regiments, but I did keep my detailed spreadsheets.

After a quick glance it appears that the following regiments reported having at least some .69 caliber weapons in their inventory.

29th and 30th Mississippi
23rd Alabama
46th Alabama
18th Alabama
36th Alabama
38th Alabama
32nd & 58th Alabama
1st Cav (dismounted) and 66th Georgia

Obviously, there may have been some changes between Atlanta and Nashville. The reports were incomplete and some of the text was illegible. However, this list might give you an educated guess about which rebels might have been shooting .69s at Nashville.

If there is a particular regiment you're curious about, please let me know and I can double check my sources.
Sorry that I went missing for a few months! This is great intel. Let me know if you would be open to a call to talk about Nashville. Thanks again!

Back