65th Indiana Infantry

Anyone happen to be working on the 65th Indiana Infantry? I am looking for the enlistment records of a Pvt. Landon C. Burlison (Burleson). Someone has posted on Ancestry/findagrave that he was from Mitchell County, North Carolina, and I am looking for conformation of this. Private Burleson died in 1865 and is buried at the Upper Colony Cemetery, Laurel County, Kentucky. Thanks!
1601742995609.png

Landon is a pretty unusual name for the mid-19th century. A Landon C Burleson is enumerated on the 1850 US Census for Yancey County, NC as the 6yo son of Aaron Burleson. It's unusual that his name appears prior to the name of Vianna Burleson, age 28, perhaps indicating that Vianna is not the mother of Landon and is perhaps the sister of Aaron?
1601743641787.png

But to further confuse matters, it seems that Aaron's brother, Thomas Burleson, is living next door in 1850 with his family-- and he also has a son named Landon C. Burleson.
1601744166228.png

Here is the Aaron Burleson family, enumerated again in the 1860 US Census for Yancey County, NC
1601743893893.png

And in 1860, we find the Thomas Burleson family, including son Landon, enumerated in District 5, Washington County, TN.
1601744561041.png

Last edited:
Thanks
Landon is a pretty unusual name for the mid-19th century. A Landon C Burleson is enumerated on the 1850 US Census for Yancey County, NC as the 6yo son of Aaron Burleson. It's unusual that his name appears prior to the name of Vianna Burleson, ages 28, perhaps indicating that Vianna is not the mother of Landon and is perhaps the sister of Aaron?

Here is the Aaron Burleson family, enumerated again in the 1860 US Census for Yancey County, NC
(This project I am working on has confused us for years.) The Landon, son of Aaron, in the 1860 Yancey County census, is the one I am trying to find.

Since Landon C Burleson, son of Thomas, had a brother named Lewis M. Burleson; and since a Landon C Burleson and a Lewis M Burleson both served in the 65th Indiana, I think its a pretty good possibility that they were the sons of Thomas Burleson of Yancey County, NC.

Back