60th New York Infantry - an incident

rpkennedy

Colonel
Member of the Year
From page 82-83 of Richard Eddy's History of the Sixtieth Regiment New York State Volunteers:

The spot where our barracks stood had been covered with stunted oaks and other brushwood, the tops of which were cleared off at the time the buildings were erected, but the stumps and roots left in the ground were very much in the way, especially on the parade. Colonel Greene provided the prisoners in the guard-house with picks, wheelbarrows and shovels, and set them to clearing up. The men did not much over-exert themselves to finish their job, but after a while it was completed, and we had a smooth and comfortable ground. The prisoners desiring to do everything according to military art, made a complete organization among themselves, calling it Company "Q," being at that time sufficiently numerous to elect all the necessary officers, fomr the colonel down to corporal. The greatest scamps were selected for the highest offices, which they affirmed was invariably the rule in the regiment, although it was generally denied there but they, as honest men, were bound to have agreement between their professions and their practice! Among their number, was one fellow from Company "E," who, on account of his frequest arrests for abusing his pass by overstaying his time and getting drunk, was constantly in the line of promotion. He was something of a wit, and caused no little merriment among us all.

On one occasion, while talking with the men, and inquiring into the cause of their arrest, I came to him and was answered:

"I am here because I was devoted to my religion."

"Some mistake about that, I guess. Nobody in the regiment is punished on account of their religion."

"No mistake about it. I am persecuted for devotion to my religion."

"How so?"

"Why, you see, I got a pass on Sunday, to be gone from 6 o'clock till 8; but at 8 services wa'nt over, and I was inrested and couldn't get away; and when my church was out thought 'twas too late to come back, and so waiting till Monday noon. So they arrested me for devotion to my church!"

"You ought to have come back Sunday night; you would have been excused if you were late on account of being at church. You know what the Regulations require?"

"The Regulations! O, but they're awful hard on a fellow! Why, the Bible don't have but Ten Commandments, and the regulations have five hundred or more! How can they expect a fellow like me to know the Regulations!"

I had to join in the laugh that followed; and heard him remark, as I went away: "I reckon I got well clear of a lecture that time!"

On the 26th, Company "Q" men with an irreparable loss. Three of its most brilliant members, Nicholas Hoffman, Wm. Morehead and Washington Liskum, had been honored with a trial by Court-Martial, and being found guilty of several misdemeanors and villanies, were sentenced to be dishonorably discharged from the service, drummed out of camp, and put to hard labor on the public works. The execution of the sentence in the morning mentioned, somewhat dampened the enthusiasm of the remaining prisoners; and although they frequently joked about the promotion, as they called it, I believe they never took heart to go into another election.

I am proud to say that Lewis Washington Liscum was my great x4 uncle.

Ryan

Back