Trivia 6-18-19 Who Am I

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was born in Indiana in poor circumstances but through hard work and perseverance I became a influential member of society. I came a printer by trade and owned and published a small local newspaper. When war came I was instrumental in raising a company for an Illinois regiment though I declined a commission and enlisted as a private. I was detailed as a clerk to General Grant’s headquarters and received promotions till I eventually replaced John Rawlins as Assistant Adjutant-General, a position I held till the end of the ACW. I was later appointed Brig Brigadier-General a rank I held till my tragic death shorty after the war ended.

Who am I and how did I die?

credit: @Ole Miss

My guess is Theodore S. Bowers. He died in a train accident March 7th, 1866.

He was boarding General Grant's railroad car as the train was leaving Garrison's Station .. opposite West Point. They had stopped there the previous day to drop Grant's son at the Point. Bowers grabbed the handrail of Grant's car ... the motion of the train caused him to fall between Grant's car and the car ahead. He died instantly as he was run over and dragged some distance by the train.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/lt-colonel-theodore-s-bowers-asst-adjutant-general-to-grant.141921/#post-1779293

Note: Bowers was not born in Indiana, but in Pennsylvania. He only moved to Mount Carmel at a very young age.

Wallyfish

First Sergeant
I am hoping our man is Theodore S Bowers.

He was killed on March 7,1866 when he attempted to grab the handrail on Grant's rail car. The motion of the car resulted in Bowers falling under the car and he was run over and dragged for some distance. Talk about gruesome deaths, geez!

Only concern is Bowers was born in Pa not Indiana but everything else fits.

CWT thread on Bowers.

gentlemanrob

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Theodore Shelton Bowers 1832 - 1866

Cause of Death: Col. Bowers was killed on March 7, 1866. He was boarding General Grant's railroad car as the train was leaving Garrison's Station .. opposite West Point. They had stopped there the previous day to drop Grant's son at the Point. Bowers grabbed the hand rail of Grant's car ... the motion of the train caused him to fall between Grant's car and the car ahead. He died instantly as he was run over and dragged some distance by the train.

DBF

First Sergeant
I’m thinking this was Theodore Bowers, although he fits all the clues, except being born in Indiana - I found 2 sources that have him born in Pennsylvania as well as 1 source claiming Wabash County, Illinois. The rest of the clues fit - struggled in humble circumstances, printer, owner, publisher of the Mt. Carmel Register, went into service declining the rank of Captain, enlisted as a private, replaced John Rawlins when he was promoted, promoted to Brig. General and was killed March 6, 1866 when he was boarding Grant’s train after dropping off Grant’s son at West Point. There was some confusion regarding a carpet bag and he ran to get on the train and as he grasped the handle, train he fell between the cars killing him instantly.

https://friendsville1.homestead.com/tsbowers.html - born in Pennsylvania
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7468598/theodore-shelton-bowers - born in Pennsylvania
https://archive.org/stream/jstor-40186784/40186784_djvu.txt - - - this source states: “This chivalrous and brilliant hero was born in Wabash County, Ill., October 10, 1832”

Unfortunately I found no source that states Indiana as his place of birth but I don’t know where else to look so this will have to be my answer, but I’ve never had so many clues that lined up as Theodore Bowers did. Looking forward to seeing the correct answer.

Brenal

Sergeant Major
Theodore S Bowers.
He died when he fell between the cars of a train and was runover.

"Col. Bowers was killed on March 7, 1866. He was boarding General Grant's railroad car as the train was leaving Garrison's Station .. opposite West Point. They had stopped there the previous day to drop Grant's son at the Point. Bowers grabbed the handrail of Grant's car ... the motion of the train caused him to fall between Grant's car and the car ahead. He died instantly as he was run over and dragged some distance by the train."

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/lt-colonel-theodore-s-bowers-asst-adjutant-general-to-grant.141921/

Eleanor Rose

Captain
Forum Host
Lt Col Theodore S Bowers - He was killed March 6, 1866 when he slipped beneath a train he was hurrying to board.

He was boarding General Grant's railroad car as the train was leaving Garrison's Station .. opposite West Point. They had stopped there the previous day to drop Grant's son at the Point. Bowers grabbed the handrail of Grant's car ... the motion of the train caused him to fall between Grant's car and the car ahead. He died instantly as he was run over and dragged some distance by the train.

Source

luinrina

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
You should be Theodore Shelton Bowers. You died in a train accident when you tried to jump onto the already moving train and fell in-between two cars, with the train subsequently rolling over you and killing you instantly.

Sources: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7468598/theodore-shelton-bowers, https://civilwartalk.com/threads/lt-colonel-theodore-s-bowers-asst-adjutant-general-to-grant.141921/, https://archive.org/details/jstor-40186784/page/n1

Not sure where Indiana as his birth place came from in the question. I've seen sources stating he was born in Pennsylvania and Illinois, though the majority seems to make him a Pennsylvanian by birth who removed to Illinois at a very young age.

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
I was born in Indiana in poor circumstances but through hard work and perseverance I became a influential member of society. I came a printer by trade and owned and published a small local newspaper. When war came I was instrumental in raising a company for an Illinois regiment though I declined a commission and enlisted as a private. I was detailed as a clerk to General Grant’s headquarters and received promotions till I eventually replaced John Rawlins as Assistant Adjutant-General, a position I held till the end of the ACW. I was later appointed Brig Brigadier-General a rank I held till my tragic death shorty after the war ended.

Who am I and how did I die?

credit: @Ole Miss
Theodore S. Bowers (1832-1866) replaced John A. Rawlins (1831-1869) as Assistant Adjutant-General on Grant's Staff. However, sources differ showing his birthplace as Hummelstown, Pennsylvania or Wabash County, Illinois, not Indiana.
A Democrat, he was the owner/editor of the Mount Carmel, Illinois Register. With the outbreak of the rebellion, he raised Company G, 48th Illinois Volunteer Infantry in which he chose to serve as a Private. He joined Grant's Staff as a Clerical Assistant on January 25, 1862. He was captured at Holly Springs, Mississippi, but escaped. He was rewarded with increasingly important responsibilities, replacing Rawlins, who was promoted, after the Battle of Vicksburg.
A member of Grant's post-war staff, he was killed when he fell onto the railroad tracks while boarding Grant's car in a moving train at Garrison Station, New York.
<Theodore G. Risley, "Colonel Theodore S. Bowers", Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society, Volume 12, pp. 406-411.>

Status
Not open for further replies.