Trivia 6-17-19 Don't Want to Blow My Own Horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Who am I as I don't want to blow my own horn?

I was born April 1, 1841 in Charlestown Mass. Prior to the Civil War I was an illustrator/lithographer which came to good use during my Union service. I also had an interest in music which also served me well during the war.

I wrote the following letter to my mother and sister about the action that my Artillery battery experienced on July 2nd.

I must say I was surprised at myself at not experiencing more fear than I did as it was it seemed more like going to some game or a review but I assumed a more serious aspect after we had been at it a short time at the foot of the hill on which we took position were Major Gen Sickles headquarters under a tree. We halted here a few minutes give me time to take a sketch of him. One of his aides was already wounded by a piece of shell in the back and a surgeon was doing it up.

My lack of fear is surprising considering what I endured. My battery fired 92 rounds of canister at the confederates just south of the Oak tree by the Trostle Barn. 80 of the battery's horses were killed. Remarkably, you can still touch the Oak Tree today.

If that isn't enough, I earned the Medal of Honor by mounting my horse and leading another mount which was carrying my wounded captain to safety.

After the war, I sold copies of my Civil War Etches. I also illustrated a book by John Billings in 1887.
I died in 1926.

Who am I?

credit: @Wallyfish

Who am I as I don't want to blow my own horn?

I was born April 1, 1841 in Charlestown Mass. Prior to the Civil War I was an illustrator/lithographer which came to good use during my Union service. I also had an interest in music which also served me well during the war.

I wrote the following letter to my mother and sister about the action that my Artillery battery experienced on July 2nd.

I must say I was surprised at myself at not experiencing more fear than I did as it was it seemed more like going to some game or a review but I assumed a more serious aspect after we had been at it a short time at the foot of the hill on which we took position were Major Gen Sickles headquarters under a tree. We halted here a few minutes give me time to take a sketch of him. One of his aides was already wounded by a piece of shell in the back and a surgeon was doing it up.

My lack of fear is surprising considering what I endured. My battery fired 92 rounds of canister at the confederates just south of the Oak tree by the Trostle Barn. 80 of the battery's horses were killed. Remarkably, you can still touch the Oak Tree today.

If that isn't enough, I earned the Medal of Honor by mounting my horse and leading another mount which was carrying my wounded captain to safety.

After the war, I sold copies of my Civil War Etches. I also illustrated a book by John Billings in 1887.
I died in 1926.

Who am I?

credit: @Wallyfish
for gallantry in action on July 2, 1863, during the battle of Gettysburg. Despite sustained firing on his position near the Trostle farm, Reed mounted his horse and led to safety another mount carrying the wounded Captain John Bigelow, thereby saving Bigelow's life. I
Charles W. Reed (1824-1926), bugler of 9th Independent Battery, Massachusetts Light Artillery. Reed was awarded the Medal of Honor for saving the life of Captain John Bigelow in action near the Trostle Farm at Gettysburg on July 2, 1863.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back