Trivia 6-13-18 MOH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume that was the skirmish at Schultz' Mill, Jan. 14, 1864. The location is sometimes given as Crosby's Creek, sometimes as Cosby Creek

You are Sgt. Everett W. Anderson and you served in the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry (either Company H of M, sources vary). You were given the Medal of Honor because you had captured Confed. Brigadier General Robert B. Vance singlehandedly.

"JANUARY 13-14, 1864.-Affair at Sevierville (13th) and skirmish at Schultz' Mill, Cosby Creek, Tenn. (14th)."
[...]
. Report of Major General John G. Foster, U. S. Army, commanding Department of the Ohio.
KNOXVILLE, TENN.,
January 16, 1864.

I have the honor to report that on the 14th General Vance, brother of Governor Vance, of North Carolina, with 300 cavalry, made a raid toward Sevierville and captured a train of 23 wagons sent out from Knoxville for forage. General Sturgis immediately ordered Colonel Palmer with the Fifteenth Pennsylvania (Anderson Cavalry) to pursue them. He did so with such activity that he came up with the party as they had halted to feed, 23 miles from Sevierville, surprised them, recaptured all the wagons, drivers, and animals, and in addition a fine ambulance filled with medical stores, 150 saddle-horses, and 100 stand of arms. General Vance, with his adjutant-general and inspector-general, were among the prisoners"

https://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records/057/0073

"He rejoined the Union effort on October 9, 1862, when he was mustered in as a Private on Company H, 15th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry. He would go on to be awarded the CMOH for his bravery at Crosbys Creek, Tennessee on January 14, 1864. His citation reads "Captured, single-handed, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy".

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/19200

"ANDERSON, EVERETT W. Sergeant, Company M, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Entered service at: Philadelphia, Pa. Birth: Louisiana. Citation: At Crosbys Creek, Tenn., 14 January 1864, captured, single-handed, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy. Date of issue: 3 December 1894.
http://www.pacivilwar.com/regiment/160th.html

Everett W. Anderson (July 12, 1839 - February 4, 1917). Anderson served in the American Civil War in Company M, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry for the Union Army. Captured, single-handed, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy.
On January 14, 1864, he was assigned a mission at Cosby Creek, Tennessee. Vance intercepted a major supply train going to General Ambrose Burnside's troops near Knoxville, but when he tried to take the wagons to North Carolina, Vance, and nearly all of his troops, were captured by Sergeant Everett W. Anderson of the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry).

I won the Medal of Honor for something I did during a skirmish at Cosby Creek. What is my name and regiment and what did I do?

credit: @Iron Brigade
Everett W. Anderson (1839-1917), Sergeant, Company M, 15th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry. Captured, single-handed, Confederate Brigadier General Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy at Cosby Creek, Tennessee, January 14, 1864.

William Palmer, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry, for his actions as colonel leading the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry at Red Hill, Alabama, January 14, 1865 where "with less than 200 men, [he] attacked and defeated a superior force of the enemy, captured their fieldpiece and about 100 prisoners (including Confederate Brigadier General Robert Vance) without losing a man." (Source: Wikipedia)

Edit - I am giving credit for this as a correct answer. See edit to post # 31.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little confused as to the spelling of the actual skirmish. The question is about Cosby Creek whereas Crosby Creek is the spelling of a skirmish where an individual was awarded the Medal of Honor. That being said here are my answers
1) Sergeant Everett W. Anderson,
2) 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company M
3) He captured Brigadier General Robert B Vance CSA
Regards
David

ANDERSON, EVERETT W. Sergeant, Company M, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Entered service at: Philadelphia, Pa. Birth: Louisiana. Citation: At Crosbys Creek, Tenn., 14 January 1864, captured, single-handed, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy. Date of issue: 3 December 1894.

ANDERSON, EVERETT W.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, Company M, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Place and date: At Crosbys Creek, Tenn., 14 January 1864. Entered service at: Philadelphia, Pa. Birth: Louisiana. Date of issue: 3 December 1894. Citation: Captured, single-handed, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy.
Source: https://history.army.mil/html/moh/civwaral.html

ANDERSON, EVERETT W. Sergeant, Company M, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Entered service at: Philadelphia, Pa. Birth: Louisiana. Citation: At Crosbys Creek, Tenn., 14 January 1864, captured, single-handed, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy. Date of issue: 3 December 1894.

I'm going to go with Col. William J. Palmer of the 15th PA Cavalry, whose MOH citation says he attacked and defeated a superior force of the enemy, capturing their fieldpiece and about 100 prisoners without losing a man.

For those who, like me, enjoy "Homicide Hunter" on the Investigation Discovery channel, Palmer is credited with being the founder of the city of Colorado Springs, where Joe Kenda's exploits take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back