5th Texas at Sharpsburg: Bravest Act I Ever Witnessed

@lelliott19 , @AUG , @Brian Downey , @bdtex , & others --

I have been trying to piece this together as I'm wondering if Wofford was mistaken with the identify of the regimental flag rescued by Monroe.

map_attack_seq_2.gif

As shown by the map, the 4th Texas and 18th Georgia fought along the Hagerstown Pike while the 5th Texas was in the East Woods with the 21st Georgia and 4th Alabama. I thought it might be possible the flag in question might actually have belonged to the 4th Alabama rather than the 4th Texas? But I have been unable to find much about the 4th Alabama.

Here is the situation a bit later after Hood's men had been driven back and Mansfield's 12th Corps joined the battle. The 5th Texas has fallen back and is still joined to the 21st Georgia and 4th Alabama:

map_attack_seq_3.gif

Here are some excerpts from Carman regarding the 5th Texas and this portion of the fighting:

"In the earlier part of Crawford's maneuvering, Hood's Division, save the 4th Alabama and 5th Texas, which, with some Georgians, remained in the East Woods, had retired, and Anderson's Brigade, of Meade's Division, charged through the cornfield on the heels of the 1st Texas and was obliged to fall back on the advance of Ripley's Brigade...."
***​
With the exception of Patrick's Brigade and the 10th Pennsylvania Reserves, on its right, west of the Hagerstown road, and a few of Magilton's men in the northern part of the East Woods, the infantry of Hooker's Corps was out of the fight, and Hood's Division, with the exception of the 4th Alabama and the 5th Texas, still in the East Woods, had withdrawn or was withdrawing to the woods at the Dunkard Church, and Ripley's Brigade had become engaged with the Twelfth Corps.
The 4th Alabama had come under a left oblique fire from the Ohio regiments, who were contending with Colquitt's right; it had already lost one-half its men in killed and wounded, and it, with the Georgians on the right, fell back obliquely to the right and rear through the woods, soon followed by the 5th Texas. Captain Turner, commanding the 5th Texas, had four times sent to Hood for support, and had as often been informed that it could not be given and that he must hold on and about the time Hood's last message came the right of Garland's Brigade came up and took position on his right, when, the 28th Pennsylvania advancing, Garland's men fired their wild volley, broke and ran. The Texans were now nearly out of ammunition, the 4th Alabama and the Georgians were giving way on the left, the Union line was closing in on the right, and, as the volley of the 28th Pennsylvania was delivered, Turner gave the order to fall back, but not soon enough to prevent the capture of some of his men. In the charge into the woods the 5th Ohio and the right wing of the 28th Pennsylvania pushed straight to the east fence of the cornfield, and after firing four or five volleys into corn, which swept down Colquitt's line, charged into it as the 7th and 66th Ohio cleared the north fence of the cornfield. Powell says: “The sight at the fence, where the enemy was standing, when we gave our first fire, was awful beyond description; dead men were literally piled upon and across each other. We had been enabled to pour a volley into an entire line, at a few rods distance and striking them in the flank at about the same time. No line of men in the world, of equal strength, could have done better than they tried to do, or have recovered from the situation. The circumstances were all against them, and thus they had to go down.”
***​
The 5th Texas escaped by going down the Smoketown road before the Ohio men reached it; Robbins, with the remnant of the 4th Alabama, went south, beyond the Mumma buildings, and thence to the Dunkard Church, where Stonewall Jackson, D. H. Hill, Hood and others were endeavoring to rally the broken lines to dispute the possession of the woods about the church.

I am curious as to anyone else's thoughts on this. Now that @lelliott19 has shared this awesome story, I'd like to figure it out. It seems obvious Wofford did not make it up, but to me it seems also obvious it wasn't likely to have been the 4th Texas.

Also, any information regarding the 4th Alabama and the fate of its flag might shed some light.

Last edited:

I have been tryiny to piece this together as I'm wondering if Wofford was mistaken with the identify of the regimental flag rescued by Monroe.
Thanks for the tag. I see some folks replied to me back in September and I didn't even see it. To be honest,I am not very knowledgeable about Antietam. I have only read one book about it and that was almost 4 years ago.

My first visit to Sharpsburg is scheduled for late June next year and I am about to embark on an Antietam reading binge. I might reread that book first then read a book about Second Manassas that I have had for a few years. I have at least 3-4 other books on Antietam and one Blue & Gray Magazine issue on Antietam. Gonna read all of them before I go. I've spent the last 3.5 years reading about and visiting Western and Trans-Mississippi Theater battles. I haven't visited an Eastern Theater battlefield since January 2016.

I have been tryiny to piece this together as I'm wondering if Wofford was mistaken with the identify of the regimental flag rescued by Monroe.

As shown by the map, the 4th Texas and 18th Georgia fought along the Hagerstown Pike while the 5th Texas was in the East Woods with the 21st Georgia and 4th Alabama. I thought it might be possible the flag in question might actually have belonged to the 4th Alabama rather than the 4th Texas? But I have been unable to find much about the 4th Alabama.

Here is the situation a bit later after Hood's men had been deiven back and Mansfield's 12th Corps joined the battle. The 5th Texas has fallen back and is still joined to the 21st Georgia and 4th Alabama:

Here are some excerpts from Carman regarding the 5th Texas and this portion of the fighting:

"In the earlier part of Crawford's maneuvering, Hood's Division, save the 4th Alabama and 5th Texas, which, with some Georgians, remained in the East Woods, had retired, and Anderson's Brigade, of Meade's Division, charged through the cornfield on the heels of the 1st Texas and was obliged to fall back on the advance of Ripley's Brigade...."
***​
With the exception of Patrick's Brigade and the 10th Pennsylvania Reserves, on its right, west of the Hagerstown road, and a few of Magilton's men in the northern part of the East Woods, the infantry of Hooker's Corps was out of the fight, and Hood's Division, with the exception of the 4th Alabama and the 5th Texas, still in the East Woods, had withdrawn or was withdrawing to the woods at the Dunkard Church, and Ripley's Brigade had become engaged with the Twelfth Corps.
The 4th Alabama had come under a left oblique fire from the Ohio regiments, who were contending with Colquitt's right; it had already lost one-half its men in killed and wounded, and it, with the Georgians on the right, fell back obliquely to the right and rear through the woods, soon followed by the 5th Texas. Captain Turner, commanding the 5th Texas, had four times sent to Hood for support, and had as often been informed that it could not be given and that he must hold on and about the time Hood's last message came the right of Garland's Brigade came up and took position on his right, when, the 28th Pennsylvania advancing, Garland's men fired their wild volley, broke and ran. The Texans were now nearly out of ammunition, the 4th Alabama and the Georgians were giving way on the left, the Union line was closing in on the right, and, as the volley of the 28th Pennsylvania was delivered, Turner gave the order to fall back, but not soon enough to prevent the capture of some of his men. In the charge into the woods the 5th Ohio and the right wing of the 28th Pennsylvania pushed straight to the east fence of the cornfield, and after firing four or five volleys into corn, which swept down Colquitt's line, charged into it as the 7th and 66th Ohio cleared the north fence of the cornfield. Powell says: “The sight at the fence, where the enemy was standing, when we gave our first fire, was awful beyond description; dead men were literally piled upon and across each other. We had been enabled to pour a volley into an entire line, at a few rods distance and striking them in the flank at about the same time. No line of men in the world, of equal strength, could have done better than they tried to do, or have recovered from the situation. The circumstances were all against them, and thus they had to go down.”
***​
The 5th Texas escaped by going down the Smoketown road before the Ohio men reached it; Robbins, with the remnant of the 4th Alabama, went south, beyond the Mumma buildings, and thence to the Dunkard Church, where Stonewall Jackson, D. H. Hill, Hood and others were endeavoring to rally the broken lines to dispute the possession of the woods about the church.

I am curious as to anyone else's thoughts on this. Now that @lelliott19 has shared this awesome story, I'd like to figure it out. It seems obvious Wofford did not make it up, but to me it seems also obvious it wasn't likely to have been the 4th Texas.

Also, any information regarding the 4th Alabama and the fate of its flag might shed some light.
Here is some information on the flag of the 4th Alabama Infantry from the Alabama State Archives:

Now that @lelliott19 has shared this awesome story, I'd like to figure it out. It seems obvious Wofford did not make it up, but to me it seems also obvious it wasn't likely to have been the 4th Texas.
Thanks for working on this Andy. I'll see if I can find anything on the 4th AL

Thanks for the tag. I see some folks replied to me back in September and I didn't even see it. To be honest,I am not very knowledgeable about Antietam. I have only read one book about it and that was almost 4 years ago.

My first visit to Sharpsburg is scheduled for late June next year and I am about to embark on an Antietam reading binge. I might reread that book first then read a book about Second Manassas that I have had for a few years. I have at least 3-4 other books on Antietam and one Blue & Gray Magazine issue on Antietam. Gonna read all of them before I go. I've spent the last 3.5 years reading about and visiting Western and Trans-Mississippi Theater battles. I haven't visited an Eastern Theater battlefield since January 2016.
Have fun! My current Antietam binge is inspired by 1-day visits each of the last two years.

Thanks for working on this Andy. I'll see if I can find anything on the 4th AL
Its been on my "to do" list. This is how I enjoy my Thanksgiving break! That and a lot of food :wink:

Another possibility (assuming Wofford was right with 4 as a numerical designation) is the 4th Georgia of Ripley's brigade. They were in the Cornfield area as the 5th Texas was withdrawing down the Smoketown Road.

Regarding the 4th Alabama (from From Huntsville to Appomattox):

"It was reported in the Union camp after the battle that our brigade was completely annihilated and the colors of the 4th Alabama captured. This, as to the capture of the 4th Alabama flag, was a gross error. Our flag was never captured, and was not even surrendered at Appomattox. In regard to this matter, Major Gould, Adjutant of the 10th Maine in this engagement, wrote me: "The 111th fellows (referring to the 111th Pennsylvania, a part of General Greene's forces which made the final 'onslaught' on the 4th Alabama) wrote to me ... [and] claim that they captured the flag of the 4th Alabama...."

Last edited:
Its been on my "to do" list. This is how I enjoy my Thanksgiving break! That and a lot of food :wink:

Another possibility (assuming Wofford was right with 4 as a numerical designation) is the 4th Georgia of Ripley's brigade. They were in the Cornfield area as the 5th Texas was withdrawing down the Smoketown Road.

But I don't think the 4th Georgia was hard pressed during that time period?

Back