5th NY Infantry

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
5thInfRegimental2003.0286.jpg

I don't know much about the regiment but I came across something about it and looked here first and found no thread about the regiment. I am currently reading "Return to Bull Run,The Campaign And Battle Of Second Manassas" by John J. Hennessy. His narrative of the fight at Chinn Ridge on August 30,1862 includes this on page 373 of his book:

"During those ten awful minutes atop that ridge, the 5th New York lost nearly 300 men shot -- 120 mortally. For a single infantry regiment it was the largest loss of life in any single battle of the entire Civil War. And it all happened in ten minutes..."

It goes on to say on page 373 of the book:

"It was small wonder then that when the regiment's survivors gathered on the field forty-five years later to dedicate their monument, one of them said of that day: "War has been described as Hell, and I can assure you that where the Regiment stood that day was the very vortex of Hell."

They were attacked that day by the 5th Texas Infantry, the Hampton Legion and 18th Georgia Infantry. "The Vortex of Hell" is the name of that chapter of the book.

While looking for an image of the 5th NY Infantry regimental flag for the OP, I found this article on the ABT website:

The 5th NY Infantry was known as the "Duryée’s Zouaves" and they distinguished themselves while suffering heavy losses too at the Battle Of Gaines' Mill two months earlier.

It goes on to say on page 373 of the book:

"It was small wonder then that when the regiment's survivors gathered on the field forty-five years later to dedicate their monument, one of them said of that day: "War has been described as Hell, and I can assure you that where the Regiment stood that day was the very vortex of Hell."

They were attacked that day by the 5th Texas Infantry, the Hampton Legion and 18th Georgia Infantry. "The Vortex of Hell" is the name of that chapter of the book.
The late Brian Pohanka posthumously published an excellent unit history in 2012 called Vortex of Hell.

DSC05280.JPG

While looking for an image of the 5th NY Infantry regimental flag for the OP, I found this article on the ABT website:

The 5th NY Infantry was known as the "Duryée’s Zouaves" and they distinguished themselves while suffering heavy losses too at the Battle Of Gaines' Mill two months earlier.
Above, 5th N.Y. mannikin in the NPS Visitor Center at Groveton; below, their monument on the battlefield of Second Manassas where they made their fatal stand:

DSC05326.JPG

A great example of the intensity of combat in the black powder era. And illustrates, in my opinion any ways, that often truth can be more dramatic than any fiction.

Our civil war hobby lost someone special with passing of Mr. Pohanka.

Thanks to all hands above, John

Back