2014 Photo Contest 5th New York (Duryees Zouaves) 135th Antietam

Zouaves Antietam 002.jpg
My company "A" 5th New York (Duryee Zouaves) at the 135th Antietam reenactment, Sept. 1997. The photo is a Albumen image taken by noted period photographer John Coffer. Our Company commander, the late historian Brian Pohanka seated in front. I am in the front row farthest left kneeling in front of the Company standard bearer. It was a great event!!!!

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
View attachment 29096 My company "A" 5th New York (Duryee Zouaves) at the 135th Antietam reenactment, Sept. 1997. The photo is a Albumen image taken by noted period photographer John Coffer. Our Company commander, the late historian Brian Pohanka seated in front. I am in the front row farthest left kneeling in front of the Company standard bearer. It was a great event!!!!
I joined company A last year and looking at the 135th pic. the current company rolls are way smaller now. such a shame the unit lost members and captain pohanka cause i feel it such a great unit and partray one of the most historical great units of the eastern union army. hopefult that can change, i am doing some active new member find in my area.

I joined company A last year and looking at the 135th pic. the current company rolls are way smaller now. such a shame the unit lost members and captain pohanka cause i feel it such a great unit and partray one of the most historical great units of the eastern union army. hopefult that can change, i am doing some active new member find in my area.
A lot of the original members are older now, and I'm assuming dropped out for several reasons. When Brian passed away, it was not the same going to a event. Always looked forward to the campfire history chats with Brian. One reason I left the unit. Great comraderie with the pards. Hang with it. Please do the "Old 5th" the respect with your presence in Red. I hope it will stay as it was when I was in the ranks. Thanks for your input. "Pro Bono Publico" "Vive La Compaignie".
Respectfully,
Michael

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!