58 caliber minie ball ballistics

E

edward

I would like to know the ballistics of the 58 caliber rifle minie ball. Bullet weight in grains, typical muzzle velocity and muzzle energy. I have a display with two of them and want to add the onfo on a label. Thanks to anyone that can help. I recently joined your organization. ED LACKEY

.58 MINI ballistics.
BOOM. up up higher higher... fall fall fall fall THUMP! all this in 100 yards....

ok..975 fps with 60 grains 1, 1/2 Elephant BP (service charge) 510 grain mini traditional shape, pure lead.
out of an Original Springfield in near 'very very nice' condition, it shoots 2 inch groups, 3 inches above center aim point at 50 yards . at 100 yards I think I'm hitting the ground, but that's as close as I can come. I'm still working on getting used to sighting it. Clean every 5 shots or so to keep things even. Bullet is .585 , yeah, big, but it fits the bore and is accurate.
nice steady recoil, good crack of the shot...and if I listen reallllyyyyy hard, I can hear a Rebel Yell.....Ken

.58 MINI ballistics.
BOOM. up up higher higher... fall fall fall fall THUMP! all this in 100 yards....

ok..975 fps with 60 grains 1, 1/2 Elephant BP (service charge) 510 grain mini traditional shape, pure lead.
out of an Original Springfield in near 'very very nice' condition, it shoots 2 inch groups, 3 inches above center aim point at 50 yards . at 100 yards I think I'm hitting the ground, but that's as close as I can come. I'm still working on getting used to sighting it. Clean every 5 shots or so to keep things even. Bullet is .585 , yeah, big, but it fits the bore and is accurate.
nice steady recoil, good crack of the shot...and if I listen reallllyyyyy hard, I can hear a Rebel Yell.....Ken

Thanks for the information. Still having a bit of trouble trying to figure out what the muzzle energy is in ft-lbs. ED

Then the Foster slug would be dominate? Correct? Why can't foster slugs engage rifling like a Minnie ball without the use of a Sabot?

Springfield.png

Back