.58 cal bayonet question

Tex1911

Cadet
hello, I am new to the forum and need some bayonet information.

I have just made a deal on a Bridesburg .58 cal musket - marked 1864 on the side plate. I would like to get a bayonet for the gun however I am not sure what bayonets would fit as I scroll thru various listings which many do not list rifle calibers. Is there a way to tell what bayonets would or would not fit without actually purchasing one ?

I do apologize if this is a crazy question, just wanted to get some info from folks who are familiar with the subject.

Thanks for any information............. attaching a picture of the side plate

Musket.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Larry, really looking forward to this forum. I know there are some really fine members with great Civil War knowledge .

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't think bayonets were made in 58cal, or any caliber for that matter:D

You're going to be looking for a bayonet to fit a Bridesburg musket, whether it will actually fit is unknown depending on condition of both parts.

Thanks Package4.
I would guess the conversion to .58 ca. center fire worked well for the rifle in the Indian Wars, however I don't think the gun will be fired much these days with the price of that particular cartridge.

Tex1911 - Actually the Needham conversion saw most of its use in the Fenian Raids into Canada in 1866 and 1870. There is a lot of history there, too!

As for shooting it, I think you can fabricate cartridges for it from currently available 24 gauge brass shotgun shells, as is done for the Snider and Martini rifles.
J.

Jobe , thank you for this information, I really need to do some studying up on the Fenian Raids. This is really going to be interesting.

There are several Sulters who sail the Bayonets with scabbards. The Enfield has the socket type. You may want see if it would fit your rifle.

Texas 1911 - I would strongly urge you to NOT put a British Enfield bayonet on your Bridesburg-Needham musket, it is just plain inappropriate. If you do, all you will ever hear is "That's not the right bayonet!"
J.

Gentlemen, thank for all of the information you have been providing.
I really appreciate the fine folks on this forum and their wealth of information.
The history contained in this forum is priceless.

Back