53rd Georgia Company c

j311

Private
Hey everybody I have a lot of confederate history around where I live & a lot of relatives of past soldiers. I run a small store and had a gentleman bring this in today. The tintype pictured is wintham west company c fayette county planters. Also comes with a heart shape buckle? Wintham was only in service for a few months and was killed in 1862 winchester virginia. This picture was taken prior to the war since he didn't make it out. Does anyone recogonize anything military with his clothing? He appears to be in civilian dress. I guess if that's the case could have been taken during enlistment. Does anyone think it might be a post mortem photo? The neck seems elongated?

Attachments

• 53rd.jpg
    53rd.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 53rd1.jpg
    53rd1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 256
Yeah he definitely didn't look military, but on this one i definitely believe the source as it was one of his relatives. That's why I'm thinking it was done pre war since he didn't survive the war. Do you know what the buckle might be? The gentleman has 6

Gandy it's solid as solid can get. Not every soldier was dressed in military clothing when they had there picture taken. As a matter of fact another gentleman has a tintype of his relative in civilian clothes. & my wifes relative who was in the 50th of ga was taken in civilian clothes at the courthouse

Yeah he definitely didn't look military, but on this one i definitely believe the source as it was one of his relatives. That's why I'm thinking it was done pre war since he didn't survive the war. Do you know what the buckle might be? The gentleman has 6
I think , jmo that it's part of a horse's tack and was used well after the war too. Wait, some one will come along who knows.

found it gandy

"Civil War horse's heart-shaped harness buckle shield According to Howard R. Crouch's Horse Equipment of the Civil War Era, page 168, these items protected the hair of the horse's tail from being pulled out on the buckle tongues. The heart motif was very popular. This piece is just over 2-1/4 inches long and a unique piece of the past."

Gandy it's solid as solid can get. Not every soldier was dressed in military clothing when they had there picture taken. As a matter of fact another gentleman has a tintype of his relative in civilian clothes. & my wifes relative who was in the 50th of ga was taken in civilian clothes at the courthouse
I understand that all soldiers were not photographed in uniform. What I'm saying is in order to prove ID you have to have more than oral history. Another pic of the subject in uniform or something that shows Id. If you are not selling it, does it really matter ? As long as you believe it ? I have a pic of my G-grandfather in the 12th PA. Cavalry , it's not ID'ed but I have another pic that is ID'ed to back it up.

Yeah definitely not selling it just like to get as much info on the subject as i can. I also got a copy of an original letter where the officer found him dead in the street sucks it's not the original ;(

Back