Restricted $500,000 Jefferson Davis chair stolen in Selma will be a toilet unless Confederate group hangs banner, email claims

AshleyMel

2nd Lieutenant
You know what else is stated on the UDC's public webpage? Their official "catechism" outlining all their beliefs about the war. This catechism to this day states that "The slaves were treated, in most cases, with kindness and care. Many claims of cruelty and abuse were found to be the behavior of planation overseers rather than the slaves' owners," and that "Slaves were, for the most part, faithful and devoted. Most slaves were usually ready and wiling to serve their masters." That's clearly very blatant slavery apologism and an attempt to justify the institution of chattel slavery. They even built monuments dedicated to these supposed "loyal and contented slaves," and in 1926 they constructed a monument praising the KKK in North Carolina.

You say my post pointing this out is why there is so much discord but how can you dismiss all these things I've pointed out about what the UDC does as not to blame? How can you take no responsibility for what the official publications of the UDC state to this day as a member? Can't you see how that seems disingenuous and hypocritical?

I'm really trying to be fair here. Maybe you think I'm painting the UDC with too broad a brush, but can you not at least see where those who have problems with the UDC (because they oppose the Lost Cause, slavery, and the KKK) are coming from given the UDC's past and current statements and actions in support of those things?
To clarify, you are saying the current catechism "to this day states this", referencing to a 2018 catechism?
The picture on the web site is from a decades old booklet and to be honest, I really don't know why General has not changed the page. Me thinks (my opinion) is they are a bit busy now a days, trying to keep out of harms way these last few years as the arson of the building proves just that. I can only think of one person in my Chapter that believes slavery was not the cause of the Civil War and I think she is about 105 years old so her belief would fit in line with what many of that generation believed as real daughters and granddaughters of the Civil War veterans.
Again, this post examples the efforts to blur the lines between the dead women of the past and the current members in order to hold us today accountable for the current modern issues at hand.
There is no current statement or action from the UDC that is in support of slavery or the KKK. In fact, if you know Daughters that support the KKK, please send me a private message. This is a serious accusation. They will not be allowed to continue in the organization.
I do not bear any responsibility for actions other than my own (and neither should anyone else!). That argument is ridiculous.
I will tell you what I am responsible for. I have donated more hours than I can count delivering food and care items to veterans and the homeless. I sew quilts for our local veterans. I just delivered dozens of backpacks full of clothes, shoes and school supplies to our local foster care agency. I've been on my hands and knees cleaning and caring for graves at our local cemetery. As chaplain of our Chapter, I have sent dozens and dozens of sympathy cards to the families who have lost their grandmothers and mothers and I have prayed for them in their grief at having lost a loved one. We have donated thousands of dollars to help our local charities make positive changes through good and honorable actions in our community. I also bare the responsibility that my words and postings on this site could possibly put me and my family in harm's way but I have been marginalized and bullied all my life because of the amount of melanin in my skin and as such, I will always speak up for others that face any type of discrimination.
Leave the UDC and the Daughters be. Let us handle our affairs, take care of our veterans, and stand up against any and all who would try to harm us.

Paul Yancey

Sergeant
https://hqudc.org/

From everything that I know about the UDC, it is indeed a worthy and admirable organization. I have attached the link to the UDC website, and I suggest that folks read both the "Statement from the President General" and the "Reaffirmation of the Objectives of the United Daughters of the Confederacy".

Included in the Statement from the President General is the following:
"We are grieved that certain hate groups have taken the Confederate flag and other symbols as their own. We are the descendants of Confederate soldiers, sailors, and patriots. Our members are the ones who have spent 126 years honoring their memory by various activities in the fields of education, history and charity, promoting patriotism and good citizenship. Our members are the ones who, like our statues, have stayed quietly in the background, never engaging in public controversy."

"The UDC totally denounces any individual or group that promotes racial divisiveness or white supremacy. And we call on these people to cease using Confederate symbols for their abhorrent and reprehensible purposes."

"We are saddened that some people find anything connected with the Confederacy to be offensive. Our Confederate ancestors were and are Americans. We as an organization do not sit in judgment of them nor do we impose the Standards of the 19th century on Americans of the 21st century."

IMHO, people may or may not agree with the many causes for which the Confederate soldier chose to fight. In the final analysis, the justness of a cause is strictly a matter of opinion.

privateflemming

Corporal
To clarify, you are saying the current catechism "to this day states this", referencing to a 2018 catechism?
The picture on the web site is from a decades old booklet and to be honest, I really don't know why General has not changed the page. Me thinks (my opinion) is they are a bit busy now a days, trying to keep out of harms way these last few years as the arson of the building proves just that. I can only think of one person in my Chapter that believes slavery was not the cause of the Civil War and I think she is about 105 years old so her belief would fit in line with what many of that generation believed as real daughters and granddaughters of the Civil War veterans.
Again, this post examples the efforts to blur the lines between the dead women of the past and the current members in order to hold us today accountable for the current modern issues at hand.
There is no current statement or action from the UDC that is in support of slavery or the KKK. In fact, if you know Daughters that support the KKK, please send me a private message. This is a serious accusation. They will not be allowed to continue in the organization.
I do not bear any responsibility for actions other than my own (and neither should anyone else!). That argument is ridiculous.
I will tell you what I am responsible for. I have donated more hours than I can count delivering food and care items to veterans and the homeless. I sew quilts for our local veterans. I just delivered dozens of backpacks full of clothes, shoes and school supplies to our local foster care agency. I've been on my hands and knees cleaning and caring for graves at our local cemetery. As chaplain of our Chapter, I have sent dozens and dozens of sympathy cards to the families who have lost their grandmothers and mothers and I have prayed for them in their grief at having lost a loved one. We have donated thousands of dollars to help our local charities make positive changes through good and honorable actions in our community. I also bare the responsibility that my words and postings on this site could possibly put me and my family in harm's way but I have been marginalized and bullied all my life because of the amount of melanin in my skin and as such, I will always speak up for others that face any type of discrimination.
Leave the UDC and the Daughters be. Let us handle our affairs, take care of our veterans, and stand up against any and all who would try to harm us.

Edited. I'm saying the current edition of the UDC catechism stated this as recently as 2018 because that's the most recent source I could find. There is no reason to think they have since changed this catechism in any way (though 2018 is hardly ancient history), so that is actually what the current edition states, and in fact the last time the UDC changed the wording of their official catechism was in 1954. That's probably why the advertised version on their website looks old. I think 67 years is plenty of time for them to have changed it by now if they wanted to so clearly they do not. If you care about the truth and understanding why people have a problem with the UDC then you're going to have to face those facts about them and their current published statements of belief.

Last edited by a moderator:

AshleyMel

2nd Lieutenant
Edited. I'm saying the current edition of the UDC catechism stated this as recently as 2018 because that's the most recent source I could find. There is no reason to think they have since changed this catechism in any way (though 2018 is hardly ancient history), so that is actually what the current edition states, and in fact the last time the UDC changed the wording of their official catechism was in 1954. That's probably why the advertised version on their website looks old. I think 67 years is plenty of time for them to have changed it by now if they wanted to so clearly they do not. If you care about the truth and understanding why people have a problem with the UDC then you're going to have to face those facts about them and their current published statements of belief.
Last post on this. I've spent too much time as it is on this issue today. You seem to think I am not understanding something and are accusing me of not facing these facts that you are posting. That simply is not true. Funny, how my statement for the safety and well being of UDC members has turned into this debate. I'm not surprised.
I do have the current catechism - just had to dig it out from my things. I was incorrect - the current cover of the book, is displayed on the web site but is from the older versions. The original booklet was first printed in 1954 and has been reprinted and updated many times over the years. In fact, it say so right there on the first page. I also have another book that covers the history and printing of the catechisms pretty well. Also says that as our knowledge has expanded and as scholars have provided more documented research, the material has been updated. Seems also pretty clear on the cause of the war. Probably not what you are thinking though. You might even be surprised which historians are noted in the bibliography.
I'll say it again and for the last time on this thread, the narrative that is being harped upon and put forth is being driven by modern political agendas. The UDC does not support slavery, the KKK or any other type of hate group.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
The monument seems to have disappeared in 2015 and I can't find a picture but this is what it said:

"IN COMMEMORATION OF THE "KU KLUX KLAN" DURING THE RECONSTRUCTION PERIOD FOLLOWING THE "WAR BETWEEN THE STATES" THIS MARKER IS PLACED ON THEIR ASSEMBLY GROUND. THE ORIGINAL BANNER (AS ABOVE) WAS MADE IN CABARRUS COUNTY.

ERECTED BY THE DODSON-RAMSEUR CHAPTER OF THE UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY. 1926"
At first you said "in 1926 they constructed a monument praising the KKK in North Carolina." [Note- Wickerpedia is not a reliable source]

I thought you meant the entire UDC, but it's only one chapter (out of 100s) and I don't think that chapter exists anymore. In the 1920s the Klan was a popular group all over the country. During those times there were probably a lot of people and groups (some that you wouldn't expect) that approved of the Klan.

Last edited: