Restricted $500,000 Jefferson Davis chair stolen in Selma will be a toilet unless Confederate group hangs banner, email claims

privateflemming

Corporal
"A Confederate monument valued at $500,000 was stolen in March from a Selma cemetery, officials confirmed today.

This morning, a group that claims to have taken the monument, the Jefferson Davis Memorial Chair, sent emails to AL.com saying they will give the chair to the United Daughters of the Confederacy if that organization agrees to hang a banner outside its Richmond, Va. headquarters...

The banner bears a quote from Assata Shakur, a Black Liberation Army activist wanted by the FBI for the 1973 murder of a New Jersey state trooper: 'The rulers of this country have always considered their property more important than our lives.'"

https://www.al.com/news/2021/04/500...ederate-group-meets-demands-email-claims.html

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant

"Jefferson Davis chair stolen in Selma will be a toilet unless Confederate group hangs banner"

Looks like they have already made it into a toilet. Hope they cut their a-- on it.

1617752086246.png

PapaReb

First Sergeant
So the obvious question is, why isn't law enforcement going after this group..?!?! :mad:
Short answer... because law enforcement and elected officials are scared of the “woke/cancel” culture. Most don’t view these actions as worth risking their life or career over. Those who are expecting local, state or federal authorities to put a stop to this madness are going to be sorely disappointed.

GwilymT

First Sergeant
Short answer... because law enforcement and elected officials are scared of the “woke/cancel” culture. Most don’t view these actions as worth risking their life or career over. Those who are expecting local, state or federal authorities to put a stop to this madness are going to be sorely disappointed.
I’m certain law enforcement is looking into this and will get those responsible.

I agree with PapaReb , law enforcement could care less. It is so sad people today have so little respect for property. I believe it is morally wrong to destroy property. They should be caught and punished.
I wouldn't blame the police. They take their marching orders from the local mayor/supervisor and council/twp. board.

I wouldn't blame the police. They take their marching orders from the local mayor/supervisor and council/twp. board.
The police should always do the job they are sworn to do regardless of politically motivated marching orders.

But I won't hold my breath for any serious prosecution, as far too often it seems when they do their job and apprehend culprits.....politically motivated prosecuters and judges will drop the ball.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
What a terrible act of vandalism!
All one has to do is look at the twitter feed and the comments and replies to see the ongoing example of the ill will toward the UDC.
This has nothing to do with the Civil War or history. The people making fun of these situations and the good woman in the organization is not beneficial or helpful. This lack of integrity tells more about the people who did this and the online posters who mock the UDC and support these actions than it does the women who have risked bullying, doxing and the threats to their well being.

I highly doubt there will be a statement from the UDC. The restoration and care of the Memorial building is ongoing and keeping everyone quite busy, while online bloggers and twitter people have fun at the organization's expense. Remember, this is attacking women - mothers and daughters, sisters and grandmothers. Shame on them.

Last edited:
The police should always do the job they are sworn to do regardless of politically motivated marching orders.

But I won't hold my breath for any serious prosecution, as far too often it seems when they do their job and apprehend culprits.....politically motivated prosecuters and judges will drop the ball.
Wasn't there a Police Chief in a Southern town about a year or so ago who was fired after being ordered by the mayor to not investigate the vandalizing of a Confederate statue but went ahead anyways and did so, bringing charges against a number of suspects?