50 Year Old History Student Update

Met a fiddler the other day who was 91 years old. He told me he picked up the fiddle on his 50th birthday and has been playing for 41 years since. Between that fiddler and you, I am really encouraged to try something similar as I hit the big 50 in September and am beginning to realize that the fat lady ain't no where ready to sing yet!

Met a fiddler the other day who was 91 years old. He told me he picked up the fiddle on his 50th birthday and has been playing for 41 years since. Between that fiddler and you, I am really encouraged to try something similar as I hit the big 50 in September and am beginning to realize that the fat lady ain't no where ready to sing yet!
I've been shopping for a keyboard. I know I'll get flak for that from she who must be obeyed, but in another life, I did play the piano, and I'd like to do it again. Still have the sheet music. Just have to retrain the fingers.

My son has my piano, only because I don't have a place to put it. One of these days, I will get it back. Meanwhile, he can worry about the annual tuning. Gonna have to ask him if he's maintaing it properly.

Just as a note of encouragement - I went back to school at the age of 40 (a high school dropout who receieved a diploma in the military) - and I was as nervous and unsure of myself as I'd ever been - I took day classes (as I worked nights), which meant I sat in classes with a majority of 20 year olds, who were supportive, I might add to the old guy (me). Quarter of the way through I was going to give it up - lost confidence in myself - and told the professor (this guy was a terror to all) of my most difficult class, of my intentions - said I'll see you after class :eek: - asked me how I thought I was doing and replied "not so well". Found out that I was pulling the 3rd highest mark in the class - and explained to me that mature (read older) students, on the whole, usually have this anxiety. "Mature students are not thrown off track by what club they're going to this weekend, not worried about their group social status, and all the other concerns that young folks experience. They have both feet on the ground from life's experiences". Morale and confidence up - I hung in there because of what he said. Long story short - received my bachelor's degree 6 years later. Just take the plunge - the water will be fine :wink:

Just as a note of encouragement - I went back to school at the age of 40 (a high school dropout who receieved a diploma in the military) - and I was as nervous and unsure of myself as I'd ever been - I took day classes (as I worked nights), which meant I sat in classes with a majority of 20 year olds, who were supportive, I might add to the old guy (me). Quarter of the way through I was going to give it up - lost confidence in myself - and told the professor (this guy was a terror to all) of my most difficult class, of my intentions - said I'll see you after class :eek: - asked me how I thought I was doing and replied "not so well". Found out that I was pulling the 3rd highest mark in the class - and explained to me that mature (read older) students, on the whole, usually have this anxiety. "Mature students are not thrown off track by what club they're going to this weekend, not worried about their group social status, and all the other concerns that young folks experience. They have both feet on the ground from life's experiences". Morale and confidence up - I hung in there because of what he said. Long story short - received my bachelor's degree 6 years later. Just take the plunge - the water will be fine :wink:

I was the same way when I went back to get my teaching certificate--thought I would never be able to keep up with the "kids." Well, I did more than that...made some good young friends, had a great time, and kicked their b*^^s in every history class while they helped ME through computer class! It was a great experience, and I'm glad to hear some other folks have had the same!

I am already registered for Fall. I am taking four more units this semester than last, we'll see how that goes one of them is math.I was placed in the lowest math class I believe it is called Pre-Pre-Algebra For Livestock.

Keep kicking the kids butts, it really makes them mad. And the young kids in my classes tried harder to keep the old guy from making them look bad. I'm a Virginia Intermont Class of 2011 grad, 3. 8 GPA. And I worked 35 to 40 hours a week during school to keep the bills paid. And I was born in 61 so I guess we are close to the same age.

Back