50 Year Old History Student Update

I have not posted any updates in ages, so for any of you that remember me, here's the latest. First of all, I am no longer 50 years old. Second, technically speaking, I am now an actual historian now. That's right, I graduated in December and walked in my commencement about a week ago. I got a B.A. in History with dual minors; Museum Studies and Public History. I am the first student in South Dakota to receive those minors. I also was selected by the national history honors society, Phi Alpha Theta.
I applied to several graduate programs and was accepted by all but one. I chose New Mexico State, which was my number 1 choice. So, my fiancee and I are packing up and will be leaving for Las Cruces in a couple of weeks. I found us a very cool Southwest-style home to rent just outside of town in neighborhood called Las Alturas.
It is a whole new, exciting chapter for us and we can't wait to get going. I would like to thank the members of CWT who were so encouraging and supportive, back when it was just a thought in the back of my mind. I am thinking about creating a blog and will post a link when it's up and running.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I have not posted any updates in ages, so for any of you that remember me, here's the latest. First of all, I am no longer 50 years old. Second, technically speaking, I am now an actual historian now. That's right, I graduated in December and walked in my commencement about a week ago. I got a B.A. in History with dual minors; Museum Studies and Public History. I am the first student in South Dakota to receive those minors. I also was selected by the national history honors society, Phi Alpha Theta.
I applied to several graduate programs and was accepted by all but one. I chose New Mexico State, which was my number 1 choice. So, my fiancee and I are packing up and will be leaving for Las Cruces in a couple of weeks. I found us a very cool Southwest-style home to rent just outside of town in neighborhood called Las Alturas.
It is a whole new, exciting chapter for us and we can't wait to get going. I would like to thank the members of CWT who were so encouraging and supportive, back when it was just a thought in the back of my mind. I am thinking about creating a blog and will post a link when it's up and running.
That's awesome, my CONGRATS to you! I too, at age 54 and recently retired, have been giving thought to this same thing. May I ask, what is your goal, I mean, what are you wanting to do in this field or is this just for personal knowledge?

That's awesome, my CONGRATS to you! I too, at age 54 and recently retired, have been giving thought to this same thing. May I ask, what is your goal, I mean, what are you wanting to do in this field or is this just for personal knowledge?
I would like to work in a museum or maybe do historic preservation consulting. I am not crazy about the idea of teaching.You should at least explore your options. I am lucky in that there is a state university less than three miles from my house. It is quite an undertaking, but if history is something you love, it is worth it. If you'd like to PM me more about the experience, feel free.

2othncarolina:

Which South Dakota school did you graduate from? My son is finishing up at USD-Vermillion and my daughter is headed there to start grad school in the fall. She just finished in public history at NDSU with a BA and is headed to a speech comm master's.

2othncarolina:

Which South Dakota school did you graduate from? My son is finishing up at USD-Vermillion and my daughter is headed there to start grad school in the fall. She just finished in public history at NDSU with a BA and is headed to a speech comm master's.
South Dakota State. My fiancee went to USD and her mom taught there for awhile as well.

Congratulations and wishing you good luck in your new endeavors and environment. You were around before I got on board but I'm happy to see that "one of us" has succeeded.

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I love Las Cruces! Best of luck to you two in New Mexico. I think you'll love it. @BKey ...hey, you have a new resident (BKey wrote an awesome book on the ranches in the Roswell area). Let me know when you go exploring...there are some tidbits you might want to know!

As a 48 year old that was considering going back to school for history, I have to say I'm envious. Wishing you lots of luck.

20thncarolina: Ok, a Brookings grad-my wife works at NDSU, so she may hold that you, but I certainly can't! An interest in the Civil War overrides any school rivalries!

Congrats on your degree and as you head off to the Southwest, enjoy it and good luck to you in the future! And if you're still in the area, head on up to Fort Abercrombie, about 8 miles off of I-29 in North Dakota, the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. My unit, Company D, 5th Minnesota, will be there doing Spring Drill.

BKey

Private
Yes, welcome to N.M.! If I could live in a town, it would be Las Cruces. A good place.
When you plan to explore near east central N.M., send me a PM.
Billy

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)