5 injured, 1 severely when ice/snow fell from roof of Cowboy Stadium

Bonny Blue Flag

1st Lieutenant
When it came to security and safety for the big game, this was the one thing not taken into consideration:

Expired Image Removed

Huge sheets of ice and snow could be seen falling 200 ft from the edge of the roof of the domed stadium. It started falling throughout the day, causing minor injuries.

5 workers were injured by the falling ice and snow and were taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Ft. Worth. One person was injured critically. All entrances to the stadium have been closed, except for the truck tunnel, which is away from the stadium.

There are no plans to mechanically melt or remove the ice. Warming temps will do the job.

The velocity of the falling ice must have been huge to cause the injuries.

The architects of HKS, Inc and structual engineers Walter P. Moore Engineers and Consultants had not prepared for this kind of eventuality.

In looking at other websites I have seen comments like, "No more Superbowls in Dallas".

My thought is Jerry Jones was given a lesson from above that there is at least one thing he cannot control. And that is Texas weather.

--BBF

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Bonny Blue Flag

1st Lieutenant
Jerry built the largest stadium in the world, with the most expensive tickets in the world.

I think Jerry Jones suffers more than most from the afflliction known as = the male preoccupation with size.

--BBF

K Hale

Colonel
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
I think all my co-workers (except one) used to work for HKS. They're down the street from us. I did not know they did Jerryworld, but it doesn't surprise me. It's crazy to blame them or the structural engineers for this, though. And what kind of idiot thinks some rare weather pattern is a reason not to have an event in a city? I guess if New York City were hit by a hurricane, people would be saying, "No more World Series in Yankee Stadium!"

I believe the roof panels themselves, or at least the material they are made from, were made in NH. For the unprepared Ice and Snow can be deadly. God help those that were injured

Bonny Blue Flag

1st Lieutenant
Amen, Dan.

It is proving to be almost a chore to get excited about the Superbowl here. Everyone is concerned with getting more bad weather, road conditions, flight delays at DFW, now ice falling off the Cowboy Stadium.....

I hope 2016 will prove to be a year we as a host city can relax and just enjoy the Superbowl.

--BBF

K Hale

Colonel
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
No, we have salt spreaders. Actually here it is 90% sand and 10% salt, as sand is cheaper to get than salt (and remember, we don't need it much!). There is a slush/salt/sand mixture all over the main roads right now. Wish they would do my side street, though!

we live with this for five months a year so it is hard for new englanders to understand being so utterly unprepared. Of course with exception of the injured we find it kind of funny. I'd love to see you guys driving in this

K Hale

Colonel
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
we live with this for five months a year so it is hard for new englanders to understand being so utterly unprepared. Of course with exception of the injured we find it kind of funny. I'd love to see you guys driving in this
Whereas we live with a level of heat and humidity for five months a year that would probably kill you. :smile: When I was in Gettysburg last year during the big east coast heat wave, I wanted to walk around saying, "Jeez, will it EVER warm up around here??"

Amen, Dan.

It is proving to be almost a chore to get excited about the Superbowl here. Everyone is concerned with getting more bad weather, road conditions, flight delays at DFW, now ice falling off the Cowboy Stadium.....

I hope 2016 will prove to be a year we as a host city can relax and just enjoy the Superbowl.

--BBF
I live in Dallas and love football but can't understand why anyone but Jones would want it here. He's the guy who really benefits, see Dallas Morning News front page yesterday, and anything that man wants, I'm against.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!