Trivia 5-31-17 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Question: A midwesterner, I enlisted at the start of the Mexican War and was commissioned a Lieutenant. After the war, I graduated from the University of Louisville and practiced law. I entered politics with some success, then fought in the Civil War. After the war I returned to politics, again with some success. I may be best remembered as head of the organization that established May 30 as Memorial Day. Who Am I?

credit: @WJC

John A. Logan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Alexander Logan (February 9, 1826 – December 26, 1886) was an American soldier and political leader. He served in the Mexican-American War and was a general in the Union Army in the American Civil War. He served the state of Illinois as a State Senator, a Congressman, and a U.S. Senator and was an unsuccessful candidate for Vice President of the United States with James G. Blaine in the election of 1884. As the 3rd Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, he is regarded as the most important figure in the movement to recognize Memorial Day (originally known as Decoration Day) as an official holiday.

Question: A midwesterner, I enlisted at the start of the Mexican War and was commissioned a Lieutenant. After the war, I graduated from the University of Louisville and practiced law. I entered politics with some success, then fought in the Civil War. After the war I returned to politics, again with some success. I may be best remembered as head of the organization that established May 30 as Memorial Day. Who Am I?

credit: @WJC
That would be my man, Black Jack Logan.

John Alexander Logan (February 9, 1826 – December 26, 1886) was an American soldier and political leader. He served in the Mexican-American War and was a general in the Union Army in the American Civil War. He served the state of Illinois as a State Senator, a Congressman, and a U.S. Senator and was an unsuccessful candidate for Vice President of the United States with James G. Blaine in the election of 1884. As the 3rd Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, he is regarded as the most important figure in the movement to recognize Memorial Day (originally known as Decoration Day) as an official holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back