Trivia 5-29-19 Movie Cameo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
Ted Turner made a cameo appearance in his movies, Gettysburg and Gods and Generals. What soldier was he portraying in both movies and had they filmed the 3rd book (post Gettysburg), could Turner have played the same character?

credit: @SWMODave

Ted Turner portrayed Confederate Lieutenant Colonel Waller Tazewell Patton who - historically - was mortally wounded during Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg and died on July 21, 1863 in a makeshift hospital at Pennsylvania College. Therefore, had they filmed Last Full Measure, Turner would not have been able to play that character again.

Source: Wikipedia (Patton, Gettysburg movie, Gods and Generals movie)

1) The character Ted Turner was portraying was Colonel Waller Tazewell Patton.

2) Could turner have played the same character in "Last Full Measure". if it had ever been made? No. "Last Full Measure" covers the time after Gettysburg until the surrender at Appomattox. As Colonel Waller T. Patton was mortally wounded in the Battle of Gettysburg and died shortly thereafter, he would not be able to be present in the third part.

"Lt. Col. Waller Tazewell Patton (July 15, 1835 – July 21, 1863), was a professor, attorney, and an officer of the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War.
[...]
Media mogul Ted Turner made a cameo appearance in the 1993 film Gettysburg, playing Patton. He later reprised the role in the 2003 prequel Gods and Generals."
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Waller_T._Patton&oldid=861858709

Great question!!!

And now I finally know why the book that I liked best in the trilogy, the third part, titled "Last Full Measure" by Jeff Shaara, was never made into a movie! Because Ted Turner would not be able to play in it!! Mystery solved!! Interestingly the internet search back in 1993 to see if there is a chance that Last Full Measure would ever be filmed led me to find this site here and made me join!
A circle is closed, it seems!

Ted Turner portrayed Colonel Waller T. Patton in both movies (the great uncle to General George Patton) and unless any filming of post Gettysburg was done with scenes before July 21, 1863, the only scene he could do was a death scene, as he received the mortal wound during Picketts charge. His days of fighting ended at Gettysburg.
From Wikipedi

Ted Turner made a cameo appearance in his movies, Gettysburg and Gods and Generals. What soldier was he portraying in both movies and had they filmed the 3rd book (post Gettysburg), could Turner have played the same character?

credit: @SWMODave
Lieutenant Colonel Waller T. Patton (1835-1863). He was mortally wounded at Gettysburg on July 3, 1863.

Change of answer to the second part of the question.
Although Patton was in hospital in Philadelphia at the time, Last Full Measure starts on July 13th 1863, 8 days before he died so Yes, had Turner wished to have played a deathbed scene he could have played Patton in a film version of the book.

Edit - I do not have a copy of "The Last Full Measure," but I assume your statement that it starts on July 13 is accurate. That means your point is valid - the hypothetical movie could have included a deathbed scene with Ted Turner reprising his role of Patton. So you get credit for a correct response.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back