Trivia 5-28-19 Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Private Henry Stanley of the 6th Arkansas, was captured at Shiloh and sent to Camp Douglas in Chicago. He then swore allegiance to the Union and served as a clerk on the frigate USS Minnesota. After the war he earned world wide fame for what?

credit: @frontrank2
For travelling to Darkest Africa, poking around, and finally locating and "discovering" the long-incommunicado "Dr. Livingston, I presume."

After the war he became a journalist and explorer who was famous for his exploration of central Africa and his search for missionary and explorer David Livingstone. Upon finding Livingstone, Stanley reportedly asked, "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" Stanley is also known for mapping the central African Lakes, navigating the Congo River and his search for the source of the Nile. His pioneering work enabled the plundering of the Congo Basin region by King Leopold II of Belgium. He led the Emin Pasha Relief Expedition and was knighted in 1899. He is known for several written works.

Source:

Henry Stanley was "famous for his exploration of central Africa and his search for missionary and explorer David Livingstone. Upon finding Livingstone, Stanley reportedly asked, "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" Stanley is also known for his search for the source of the Nile, his pioneering work that enabled the plundering of the Congo Basin region by King Leopold II of Belgium, and his command of the Emin Pasha Relief Expedition. He was knighted in 1899."
Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back