Trivia 5-15-19 Don’t leave home without the general’s father

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
A major financial services company had its origin in 1850 as the result of the merger of express companies owned by three different men.

Which Union Civil War general was the son of one of these three men?

credit: @hoosier

That was Daniel Adams Butterfield (October 31, 1831 – July 17, 1901). Before enlisting in the Union army, he had worked in the company his father, John Warren Butterfield, had founded together with Henry Wells and William G. Fargo. The company in question is American Express.

Interesting to see such well-known company names connected to the Civil War. Hadn't thought they go back that far in history! Thanks for making me aware of that. :smile:

Oops, almost forgot the source: Wikipedia of course (American Express, Dan Butterfield)

Thank goodness for the headline of this question!!
I have tried to search several times until I thought "Don't leave home without ..." must be a slogan of a finance company. And yes, it was! It was the slogan of American Express:

Wikipedia says:
1557923871986.png

Hah, the name Butterfield rings a bell!!
I'm glad I found the answer before "Taps"! That should be Daniel Adams Butterfield.

1557924018115.png

https://tapsbugler.com/daniel-adams-butterfield/

A major financial services company had its origin in 1850 as the result of the merger of express companies owned by three different men.

Which Union Civil War general was the son of one of these three men?

credit: @hoosier
Daniel A. Butterfield (1831-1901), son of American Express founder John Butterfield (1801-1869).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back