Trivia 5-12-16 Who am I and What did I do?

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I was born in England in 1822 and moved to the United States in the 1830's. A machinist by trade, I found my true talents were in law enforcement. My superiors recognized my abilities and recommended me to a man who ran a new form of agency. In early 1861, myself and a small group of operatives successfully prolonged the life of one of America's most important men. At the outbreak of the war I became an undercover currier for the CSA, alas I took Ill and through an attempt to render me aid I was detected which lead to my being hanged twice.

Who am I and for whom did I work?

credit: @War Horse

You are Timothy Webster and you worked for the Pinkerton Detective Agency. And you even were a double agent!
http://www.americancivilwarstory.com/timothy-webster.html

What a life! What a death! Excellent question!! I had never heard of Webster before.

upload_2016-5-12_15-3-32.png

http://civilwarwomenblog.com/charlotte-sprowles-webster/

You are Timothy Webster and initially he was hired by General George McClellan as a Union spy.........but on the Confederate side he was" hired" by Secretary of War Judah Benjamin but was in fact a double agent who was hung in Richmond.

Edit - I found a source saying that McClellan hired Pinkerton "and his men" to gather intelligence for him. I can't find anything indicating that Webster reported directly to McClellan, but it is apparent that he did work for him, so I will accept this answer.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
British-born Timothy Webster, a former police officer in New York City, became the Civil War’s first double agent. Sent by Pinkerton to Richmond, Webster pretended to be a courier on the Secret Line, and managed to gain the trust of Judah P. Benjamin, the Confederate secretary of war (later secretary of state). Benjamin sent Webster to deliver documents to secessionists in Baltimore, which Webster promptly passed on to Pinkerton and his staff. Webster was eventually arrested, tried as a spy, and sentenced to death.

Undercover currier, eh? I guess he slipped out at night and secretly combed horses? :bounce:

On April 29, 1862, Timothy Webster was led to the gallows at Camp Lee in Richmond, Virginia. Before he was executed, he wanted to leave his executioners with a message:

"He asked the clergy man to read the Psalm of David, invoking vengeance on his enemies. He refused, and WEBSTER grew indignant, causing the clergyman to take an early departure. When brought to the gallows, the prisoner was visibly affected by the sight of the preparations observable, and shuddered when he looked at his coffin. After the rope was adjusted around his neck, prayer was offered up by Rev. M.D. HOGE."

When the trapdoor was released, there was a problem with the rope, "...the [knot] slipped, and Webster fall on his back to the ground. The half-hung and partially stunned man was speedily raised and assisted up, and a new rope being ready, he was soon swinging, in accordance with his sentence."

It was later reported that before the trapdoor released the second time, Webster exclaimed, "I suffer a double death! "

http://www.americancivilwarstory.com/timothy-webster.html

Edit - It was Timothy Webster, but the question also asked for whom he worked. The text of your response does not contain that information.

Hoosier

I was born in England in 1822 and moved to the United States in the 1830's. A machinist by trade, I found my true talents were in law enforcement. My superiors recognized my abilities and recommended me to a man who ran a new form of agency. In early 1861, myself and a small group of operatives successfully prolonged the life of one of America's most important men. At the outbreak of the war I became an undercover currier for the CSA, alas I took Ill and through an attempt to render me aid I was detected which lead to my being hanged twice.

Timothy Webster...Pinkerton Detective Agency.

Timothy Webster
Birth: Mar. 12, 1822
Newhaven
East Sussex, England
Death: Apr. 29, 1862
Richmond
Richmond City
Virginia, USA
Expired Image Removed
Historical Figure. Timothy Webster was one of Allan Pinkerton's most famous detectives. He provided information to Alan Pinkerton that prevented an assassination attempt on president-elect Abraham Lincoln as he traveled to Washington DC for his inauguration. After the Civil War began Timothy Webster became a Union spy. In 1862, while working in Richmond, Virginia, he became ill. The two men sent to check on him were recognized as Union spies, captured and provided information that exposed Webster. On April 29, 1862, in Richmond, Virginia, Timothy Webster was hanged as a spy. The first attempt to hang him was botched when the knot slipped. Before the second successful attempt to hang Webster he is reported to have said "I suffer a double death!" He was originally buried in Richmond. In 1871 Webster's body was transported to his final resting place here in Onarga, Illinois. (bio by: Dana Larkin)

Family links:
Spouse:
Charlotte Sprowles Webster (1818 - 1907)*

Children:
Sarah A Robinson*
Timothy Webster (1843 - 1865)*

* Reverse Relationships:] body=[This relationship was not directly added to this memorial. Rather, it is calculated based on information added to the related person's memorial. For example: if Joe Public is linked to Jane Public as a spouse, a reciprocal link will automatically be added to Jane Public's memorial. ] fade=[on] fadespeed=[.09]">Calculated relationship

Burial:
Onarga Cemetery
Onarga
Iroquois County
Illinois, USA

Maintained by: Find A Grave
Originally Created by: Dana Larkin
Record added: Sep 22, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 21709923
Expired Image Removed
Added by: In Memory of my son Ronald and mother Piney
Expired Image Removed
Added by: SMB-1010
Expired Image Removed
Added by: Dana Larkin

He was Timothy Webster and he worked for Allan Pinkerton spying on the confederates. He was twice hanged because the first attempt failed to kill him.

Edit - Correct, missourian. Welcome to the trivia game and to CivilWarTalk.

Hope you'll come back and play again.

Hoosier

Back