4th North Carolina Infantry

Here are the photo compilations contained in Col. E. A. Osborne's history of the regiment.

Officers.jpg

Captains.jpg

Enlisted Men.jpg

The 4th North Carolina Infantry in the battle of Seven Pines/Fair Oaks.

Then Captain Edwin A. Osborne's account of the regiment's actions in the battle:

The day before this bloody engagement was hot and sultry. The regiment was kept under arms all day, and frequently changed its position as if expecting an engagement. About sunset we went into bivouac and were ordered to prepare rations for the next day. The men were stirring until late at night, and then, tired and jaded, they sought repose. But soon a most terrible thunder-storm came down upon us. It seemed as if heaven and earth were being torn to pieces, while the rain came down in torrents upon the men, who were poorly sheltered, some with little fly tents and many with only a single blanket on a pole instead of a tent. But towards morning the storm passed away, leaving the air cool and bracing; and the men slept. The 31st was a lovely May morning, and the sun rose bright and clear. The men were full of life and the woods resounded with their voices and movements. Breakfast was soon dispatched and the order 16 "fall in" was given.
The regiment was in fine condition. Twenty-five commissioned officers and five hundred and twenty men and non-commissioned officers reported for duty on the morning of the 31st of May, 1862; and as they filed out and moved off toward the battlefield of Seven Pines they presented a splendid picture of manhood, energy and courage. The brigade was still under command of Colonel Anderson, the regiment under Major Grimes, Lieutenant-Colonel J. A. Young having been sent home on special duty. Early in the afternoon we were drawn up in front of the enemy's works near the Williamsburg road, under cover of a heavy forest, within one-fourth of a mile of the enemy's batteries and redoubts. A formidable abatis, formed by felling a dense grove of old field pines and cutting the limbs partly off so as to form obstructions to our approach, lay between us and the enemy's works. The ground was also covered with water in many places — from six inches to waist-deep. The Fourth Regiment was to the left of the stage road, the right being near the road, which ran diagonally across our front, crossing the enemy's line a little to the left of the front of the Fourth Regiment. A very heavy redoubt was in front of us, bristling with artillery supported by a mass of infantry and flanked on either side by extensive earth-works filled with men supported by artillery.
We had not been in this position but a few minutes when the enemy opened on us with his artillery. A fearful storm of shot, shell, grape and canister tore through the trees, plowing up the ground on every side and cutting down the branches and saplings around us. Soon the order was passed along the line to move forward. The men sprang to their feet without a word and advanced to the assault. For many rods we made our way through the obstructions above mentioned, under a terrible fire of musketry and artillery, which we could not return with any effect on account of the confusion into which we were thrown by the obstructions and the great difficulty of getting over them. Heavy musketry on the right indicated that the battle was raging there with terrible fury.
Onward moved our devoted men, until at last the open field was reached within one hundred yards of the enemy's works. The men quickly resumed their places in line of battle and opened fire upon the enemy with such deadly effect as to cause a momentary lull in the storm of deadly missiles that were assailing us. But again the enemy renewed his fire with redoubled fury. Our line moved on to within fifty or sixty yards of the enemy's works. The men were falling rapidly. We halted near a zigzag fence to await support on the right, which had failed to come up. The enemy's fire continued with unabated fury, and it was evident that the regiment could not remain there without being utterly destroyed.
The writer of this narrative looked around for a field officer. Major Grimes was near, sitting calmly on his iron-gray horse, with one leg thrown over the saddle bow, as afterwards so often seen on the battlefield. I seized his leg to attract his attention. He leaned toward me with his ear near my face to hear what I had to say. " Major," I shouted, " we can't stand this. Let us charge the works." "All right," said the Major, "Charge them! 'Charge them!" I rushed back to the front of my company, leaped over the fence, and waved them forward with hat and sword. My company, H, rushed forward, and the whole regiment instinctively moved with them, yelling and firing as they advanced. In front of our left was a field battery which was instantly silenced, also the heavy battery in front of our centre and right. On we rushed with such impetuosity and determination that the enemy abandoned everything and retired. We captured the works and six pieces of artillery. But again we had to halt to await necessary support on the right and left. The writer of this sketch was wounded at this point within a few rods of the breastworks. After the works were captured in the first assault the line retired to the fence from which we had made the charge, to await re-inforcements, which arrived in a few minutes, when the whole line advanced and drove the enemy entirely away.

518218471_o1.jpg

The storming of Casey's Redoubt, by Sidney E. King.

Battle_of_Seven_Pines.jpg

The capture of Casey's Redoubt. Sorry, don't recall who the artist is on this one.

upload_2017-2-28_16-37-34.png

Map of the Seven Pines battlefield showing the ground over which the 4th North Carolina fought. Casey's Redoubt is at center.

When the second charge was ordered the regiment passed over the same ground over which they had charged but a little while before. It was appalling to see how much the line had been reduced in numbers. The heavy, compact, orderly line of half an hour previous was now scarcely more than a line of skirmishers, but they moved with the same boldness and determination as before. The ground was literally covered with the bodies of their dead and wounded comrades, yet they moved steadily forward, directing their fire with telling effect until within a few paces of the fortifications, when the enemy again retired from his works.
Of the twenty-five commissioned officers and six hundred, and fifty-three men and non-commissioned officers every officer except Major Grimes was killed, wounded or disabled, while of the men seventy-four were killed and two hundred and sixty-five were wounded. Major Grimes had a horse killed under him in the charge. His foot was caught under the horse, and it was with much difficulty that he was extricated from his helpless condition. While on the ground and unable to rise, he waved his sword and shouted : "Go on, boys ! Go on !" Upon regaining his feet he saw that his color-bearer, James Bonner, of Company K, was killed, when he seized the flag himself and rushed forward, waving his men on to the charge. After the works were captured John A. Stikeleather, of Company A, asked to be allowed to carry the flag; and from that day to the close of the war, except when necessarily absent for a short time, he bravely bore the regimental colors.
A few minutes after the -enemy was driven from his works he began to rally in rear of his tents. Major Grimes ordered his regiment into a piece of woodland near by, and opened fire upon him. In moving at double-quick across the open field, to seek the cover of the woods, he discovered that the enemy was throwing up breastworks on his right. He charged, driving him away and taking a number of prisoners. The night was spent upon the field. The men being worn out, were glad to stretch themselves upon the ground and rest, surrounded, as they were, by dead and wounded men and animals, while the air was filled with cries and groans of the wounded and dying.
The conduct of the officers and men in this notable conflict was splendid beyond description. Their coolness and deliberation in making their way through the abatis, under the most galling fire at short range; the firmness and calmness with which they reformed their weakened and disordered line and awaited orders in the open field within seventy-five yards of the enemy's works, under the same awful and destructive fire; the coolness and precision with which they delivered their fire under all these trying conditions; the irresistible firmness and determination with which they made that wonderful and heroic charge in the very jaws of death; the calmness and sullenness with which they retired when the danger of being flanked was apparent, and the grim and unwavering determination with which they returned to the second charge and continued to fight, all displayed a spirit of courage and manliness worthy of any men the world has ever produced. It would be a privilege to record the list of the gallant men who fell in this fight, but time and space forbids. Their names may not be known to history or to fame, but their comrades knew them and loved them. We believe the world is better and humanity is honored and ennobled by the lives of such men, and that both are the poorer by their untimely loss.
The figures in regard to the number of the men engaged and of those killed and disabled are taken from Colonel G. B. Anderson's official report of the battle. In all this carnage these heroic men never for an instant wavered or showed the slightest trepidation. It was as if some superhuman spirit had been infused into them, and nothing but death itself could stop them. The writer shall never forget his feelings as he lay upon that bloody field wounded and helpless, and saw those brave men pressing on in the face of that death-dealing fire. On they went, their ranks growing thinner and thinner, until within a few paces of the enemy's works, behind which masses of bayonets were gleaming. Surely they will all be made prisoners. But no. The forest of gleaming steel begins to waver, and then to move away in confusion; and the works are ours! Three color-bearers were among the killed, and Major Grimes then took the flag and carried it through the remainder of the fight. . . .
After the battle of Seven Pines, until the 26th of June, we were mainly occupied in resting, drilling and recruiting the
regiment.

(E. A. Osborne, "Fourth Regiment" in Walter Clark, ed., Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions..., pp. 237-42.)

Report of Maj. Bryan Grimes, Fourth North Carolina Infantry:

HDQRS. FOURTH NORTH CAROLINA STATE TROOPS.
June 5, 1862
COLONEL: In accordance with General Orders, No. -, I have the honor most respectfully to submit the following report as embracing the action of the regiment under my command during the battle of May 31.
After marching to the field agreeably to orders, when near the Williamsburg road the enemy commenced an enfilading fire from a battery stationed in the road, concealed by the woods. I then filed my regiment to the left and brought it into line of battle and ordered it to lie down until the other regiments of the brigade moved up. Just as the next regiment reached us a courier arrived from the front calling for re-enforcements, and you ordered me forward. The woods were very thick and water deep in ponds from recent rains, in places waist-deep. The enemy, during our advance through the woods, playing upon us with canister and shell, it was impossible to keep an accurate alignment; halted at the edge of the woods, rectified the alignment as near as possible before uncovering my men, and then ordered them to advance, which was through a thick and entangled abatis, formed by felling the trees in opposite directions, which was difficult and tedious to march through. At this time I first saw the redoubt of the enemy about half a mile in front, and somewhat to the right, of my center, which caused me to right-oblique my command. The enemy also had a section of a battery (two pieces) which was dealing destruction to my left wing, while my center and right wing were being mowed down by grape and canister from the redoubt; but the men steadily advanced in admirable order. The enemy fled from the field pieces on my left, and we then concentrated our whole attention to the redoubt. Between this entangled brush-wood and the redoubt was a plowed field, rendered very miry by the late rains, in which the men would mire ankle deep at every step; through this we continued our way. Other regiments at this time were emerging from the thicket both on my right and left, when I gave the order to charge the redoubt, which was done by my men in gallant style. When within about 100 yards of the redoubt my horse was killed, catching me under him in his fall. Assistance came and I was extricated uninjured, when we rushed on. When within 30 or 40 yards of the redoubt I saw that we were 200 yards in advance of any other regiment and thought best to fall back to a ditch midway between the redoubt and entangled woods, which I ordered, and the regiment retired in good order; but the color-hearer misunderstanding the order, fell back beyond the ditch to this entangled brush. Those who had taken cover in the ditch then followed the colors, which were then halted, and all ordered to lie down, being still within 250 yards of the redoubt.
About this time our battery arrived and commenced playing upon the enemy. As an evidence of the severity of time fire of the enemy while in front of the battery 46 of my men were found killed within an area of one acre. After allowing my men time to recover from their fatigue, just then I saw my third color-bearer shot down. Captain Simonton and myself rushed up to raise time colors. Captain Simonton, reaching them first, placed them in my hands, raising them aloft, calling upon my men to rally around their standard. It was done with alacrity, and, together with several other regiments, we reached the redoubt, the enemy fleeing.
About 300 yards distant to the left I saw two regiments of the enemy drawn up in line of battle, protected and partially concealed by woods. I faced my men to the left and double-quicked them through an open field to reach a cover of the same woods, but before reaching it I saw breastworks to my right thrown up, which the enemy were leaving, and ordered my men to move by the right flank and got behind their breastworks, firing upon them during the while, which was continued until I saw a regiment of ours marching to the left to attack them. I ordered them to cease firing for fear of shooting our friends. In a short time we were ordered forward to support a regiment in front and to our right, which was done. While at this spot, of my four officers who had followed the flag through the day two were shot - Captain Simonton killed instantly and Captain Wood very seriously wounded. From here we were ordered to fall back from the breastworks, and in a short time it became dark, orders arrived for me to retire to the road. Just before doing so I ordered them to count the number then present, which was 54, whose names should be most honorably mentioned.
Particularly conspicuous among them for coolness and deeds of daring were Lee A. Steel, of Company B; Robert Peel, of Company D, and Robert Gibbons, of Company E. It is impossible for me to obtain the names of those who acted with more than common gallantry in the first and hottest part of the engagement, as the company officers, who had better opportunity of noticing them, are absent wounded, consequently many deserving of honorable mention would be left out. My attention during the action was particularly called to the daring and gallant conduct of the adjutant (Thomas L. Perry), whose services were invaluable to me; since died of his wounds.
No braver men died that day than Captain Barnes, of Company F, and Lieutenant White, of Company C, who were killed while leading their men up to the breastworks; but where all acted so well, with perhaps one or two exceptions, who failed to keep up, it is almost impossible to say who behaved with most gallantry, as reference to the list of casualties will show, leaving the encampment with 29 officers, 23 of them being killed and wounded.*
All else occurred under your own eye, which it is unnecessary for me to mention.
I am, colonel, most respectfully, your obedient servant,
BRYAN GRIMES,
Major, Commanding Fourth Regiment N. C. State Troops.

Sgt Ashbel Fraley's description of the battle in his diary:

Aroused before daylight and all are prepared to march. Move back and to the left one or two miles. Stack arms in the woods. But soon receive orders to prepare to go into battle. Made password “our homes” response “our firesides”
Leave our knapsacks in the woods March toward the picket lines Firing commences See the Stars and Stripes. Run through the advance attacking battalion. Charge the enemy’s battery. Terrific struggle. And hit with a ball but not much hurt Keep with the Company. Dreadful slaughter. Reg falls back. Rally again. Advance with 5th Ala. Battery taken. Continue to advance. Yankee’s shoot close. Captain Simonton killed. Fall back. Night closes on. Only 54 men present with coulors. Night comes in. Go to carry up the wounded. Are engaged till near midnight. Try to find my way back to camp but fail. Made a fire and sleep by the roadside. A victory, but dearly bought.
(Ashbel Fraley, Incidents of the War. Southern Historical Society Collection. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Private S.A. Hoover, Company C, recalls of the battle in his postwar reminiscences:

The next day was the battle of Seven Pines - there we met the Yankee’s behind their breastworks - we had to charge their batteries through a piece of cut down forest, which was cut and thrown in every direction. The limbs cut off from two to four feet from body of trees in order to keep us from advancing rapidly, so they would have a better chance to cut us down, but we got through that thicket and got their battery but lost lots of good men…lay on battlefield all that night. My brother John was mortally wounded the same day and died the next day. He and I were taken to the field hospital the next morning and then to the railroad station where they loaded us on the cars and took us up to Richmond hospital…My clothing was so thoroughly saturated with blood they asked me if I was a Yankee or a Southerner. I was taken to hospital at Richmond, lay there two months.
(S.A. Hoover, Reminiscences 1861-1865. Southern Historical Society Collection. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Corporal B.B. Ross, Company I:

When we were marching to Seven Pines we passed through a huckleberry pond. The woods was thick, and water was half a leg deep. While in the midst of this pond a shell exploded over us and cut the calf of one leg off, and tore the other ankle into pieces of Raleigh Rowe in our company. The piece went through the hat of Tom Crawford and tore the skin on top of his head. Another piece knocked the bugle off Lient. Creekmur’s hat. The Captain told me to pull Raleigh Rowe out of the water, and make him as comfortable as possible. By the time I had ministered to Rowe, the Company had left me and I had to go through the pond alone. In going through, the cannon balls were striking in water all around me, spattering mud in my face. I rushed forward, trying to catch up with the Company, but did not catch them until they had got in front of the breastworks.
. . . In Seven Pines battle I was within twenty yards of the breastworks when I was struck in my left breast. I had on my overcoat with twentyrounds of cartridges in my left breast-pocket. The ball went through all of these, into my uniform coat - pocket, and made holes through about 20 letters in my coat, several holes in my handkerchief in that pocket and lodged in there. When I regained consciousness, I felt that death would claim me in a few minutes, for I was sure the ball had gone through me. Our company was ordered to fall back, but I remained where I was to die. But after seeing the havock played in our regiment when they did fall back - as many killed as when going forward, for the Yankees kept “pouring it into them,” and out of fifty-two men and officers and Company I, 30 were killed or wounded - I concluded to move if possible. I slipped over the fence out of the field, and got behind a stump. There was wounded Yankee behind the stump, so I got at his feet. While I was lying there, a cannon ball struck the stump in front of us, split it open, blew it up, and stuck the top end in the ground, one piece about six inches from me on one side, and about one foot off on the other side. The Yankee whose ankle was broken, crawled to another stump, but I, seeing the uselessness of the stump, remained where I was. While lying there, I summed up courage to examine my wound, and found that the ball, which I thought had gone through my side, had lodged in my pocket. My side was badly bruised but I felt relief to find the bullet, and although I was suffering dreadfully, I went into camp.”
(B.B. Ross, Experiences of B.B. Ross during the war of 1861-1865. Southern Historical Society Collection. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Last three accounts courtesy of this excellent article on the 4th North Carolina at Seven Pines: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com...th-Carolina-at-Seven-Pines-by-Philip-Hatfield

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on the 4th NC Infantry. It is highly probable I am
kin to the Barnes brothers from Wilson County who are pictured in this thread.
The middle name Barnes is common among my 19th Century kindred and there
are a lot of marriages between my family ancestors and the Barnes family.

The 4th in my opinion was one of the best regiments from the Old North State.
If casualty lists are evidence of that, it would have few equals among regiments
that came from North Carolina.

-Letters of Bryan Grimes: http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/grimes/grimes.html

-Surgeon John Francis Shaffner. His house is a historic landmark in Winston-Salem, NC. Two letters by Shaffner, dated July 8 and 17, 1863 can be found in the Robert Brake Collection at the U.S. Army Heritage Center in Carlisle, PA.

-Letters of John Alexander Stikeleather, Company A, can be found in North Carolina Digital Collections, State Library of North Carolina.

-Sketches of the Civil War, Especially of Companies A, C and H from Iredell County, N.C. and the 4th Regimental Band, by John Columbus Steele of the Band, can be found in North Carolina Digital Collections, State Library of North Carolina. Steele is mentioned in Dictionary of North Carolina Biography, vol. 5 (1994), by William S. Powell, p. 432.

-A History of Rowan County, North Carolina, by J. Rumple, contains a roster of Company B.

-Forget-Me-Nots of the Civil War, by Laura Elizabeth Lee (St. Louis, MO: Press of A. R. Fleming, 1909), pp.86-89, contains letters from "George and Walter" of the 4th. Walter mentions that "Buck" Nolly was killed in his company at Gettysburg - William B. Nolly was a member of Company F.

-Letters of Private Arthur Evans, Company F, were on file at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond (now the American Civil War Museum).

-Reminiscences of Samuel Daniel Marshbourn, Company F, can be found in North Carolina Digital Collections, State Library of North Carolina.

-Edwin Augustus Young Osborne, Company H, assembled a roster of his company in, Confederate Reminiscences and Letters, 1861-1865, vol. XI (2000), Georgia Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy.

-Experiences of B. B. Ross, Company I, can be found in the Robert Brake Collection at the U.S. Army Heritage Center in Carlisle, PA.

-Articles about the 4th North Carolina appear in the Salisbury Watchman, Salisbury, N.C., including July 27, August 3, August 24, 1863.

Attached is a map I prepared showing the 4th North Carolina at Gettysburg on July 1, 1863 as it closed in with the rest of Ramseur's brigade upon the 16th Maine on Oak Ridge, northwest of the town.

Attachments

• OakRidge1545 001.jpg
    OakRidge1545 001.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 143
11149346_420662228104793_6923261091504380663_n.jpg

Second Lieutenant Franklin Harrison Weaver, Company H (the "Iredell Independent Grays"), 4th Regiment N.C. State Troops.

When the men of the 4th Regiment N.C. State Troops filed into Bloody Lane on the morning of September 17, 1862, taking position between the 14th North Carolina on their left and 30th North Carolina on their right, they numbered no more than 150 men, commanded by a handful of officers. Nearly five hundred of their comrades had fallen in the summer battles from Seven Pines to South Mountain, and hundreds more were absent because of sickness and exhaustion.

The appearance of the enemy to their front offered a glimpse of war’s glory: “mounted officers in full uniform, swords gleaming, banners, plumes and sashes waving, and bayonets glistening in the sun.” Advancing with “stead tramp and confident mien,” the Federals marched straight at the waiting Tar Heels, who rose and volleyed with “terrible effect.” Nevertheless, the enemy returned again and again, and the ranks of the 4th North Carolina rapidly dwindled. Captain William Marsh of Company I, temporarily commanding the regiment, fell mortally wounded. Command passed briefly to Captain Edwin A. Osborne of Company H before he too was shot down. One by one the other officers were killed or wounded, until only Second Lieutenant Franklin Harrison Weaver remained. Bravely grasping the regimental colors, Weaver tried to rally the remaining handful, but he was killed. Casualties in the 4th North Carolina at Sharpsburg amounted to fifteen men killed or mortally wounded, more than twenty wounded, and thirty-two captured: no extraordinary number for that day’s butchery but nearly half the little regiment’s strength.

Weaver (born ca. 1840) resided in the Olin community of Iredell County, and was probably a harness maker by trade. He enlisted at Statesville on June 13, 1861, as a sergeant in a company known as the “Iredell Independent Grays,” possibly an already existing volunteer militia company. The “Grays” volunteered for a term of three years or the duration of the war and were subsequently designated Company H, 4th Regiment N.C. State Troops. Weaver was promoted to third lieutenant in July-August 1861 and to second lieutenant in November-December. He was granted a thirty-day furlough in January 1862 and was otherwise present or accounted for until his death at Sharpsburg.

Weaver was survived by a widow and child. On October 13, 1862, his father, Amos Weaver, filed a claim for his son’s back pay. The claim was settled on May 20, 1863 for $125.33.

Another image of Franklin H. Weaver photographed with two comrades (a private and a sergeant) appears in Volume One of State Troops and Volunteers, p. 343.

https://www.facebook.com/3216892013...1689201335430/420662228104793/?type=3&theater

The 4th North Carolina Infantry at Chancellorsville.

The Fourth and Ramsuer's Brigade were heavily involved in the action on May 1, 2, and 3. On May 1 they took part in the repulse of Slocum's XII Corps, the 4th North Carolina deployed as skirmishers. On May 2 they participated in Jackson's march around Hooker's flank and attack on the XI Corps. In the fight for Fairview Heights and the Chancellorsville Crossroads on May 3, after other troops, including the Stonewall Brigade, had been repulsed attacking a portion of the Federal line, Ramseur convinced JEB Stuart (commanding Jackson's corps after his wounding) that he could take the position. Literally jumping over the backs of other troops who refused make the attack, Ramseur's Brigade suffered heavy losses in their charge but successfully broke through the Federal position, contributing to the overall collapse of Hooker's line at Fairview. Throughout the battle the Fourth suffered the loss of 47 killed, 155 wounded and 58 missing out of the 327 engaged, for a casualty rate of 79%. Ramseur's Brigade lost 788 men out of 1,509 engaged. Most of their losses were no doubt inflicted in the charge on May 3.

For their performance at Chancellorsville, Ramsuer's Tar Heels earned the praises of many, including mention by Lee, Jackson, Stuart, A. P. Hill, Anderson, and Rodes. In a letter to Governor Zebulon Vance a month after the battle, Gen. Lee wrote of the brigade: "I consider its brigade and regimental commanders among the best of their respective grades in the army, and in the battle of Chancellorsville, where the brigade was much distinguished and suffered severely, General Ramseur was among those who's conduct was especially commended to my notice by Lieutenant General Jackson in a message sent to me after he was wounded."

Here are then Colonel Bryan Grimes reminiscences of the battle:

On Friday the 1st of May; before the break of day, we were on the march down the old Fredericksburg road towards Chancellorsville to meet Hooker's army, which had just crossed the Rapidan and striking out for Gen. Lee's rear. On this march, for the first time, Gen. Jackson appeared in full military costume, and conveyed by his personal appearance an idea of the great military hero he was. My regiment and a Mississippi command were detailed for the purpose of feeling the enemy, and were deployed to drive them in when found, my left resting on the road and acting as an extended skirmish line. Gen. Jackson rode down the turnpike with the artillery, and whenever necessary would have it to unlimber and feel the woods in our front, and would then ride along my line and upon much resistance being shown by the enemy, would say in suppressed tones, "Press them, Colonel."

In this manner, without halting, we marched down near their main body, driving them from every position, and several of their regiments leaving their knapsacks piled up where they had been thrown off when called out to oppose our onward march. Upon crossing a creek and mill-pond, driving the enemy before us, all wet, tattered and torn, and marching over the brow of the opposite hill, the whole line of the main army opened fire upon us, and if they had, reserved their fire until we had gained the summit, my command would have been annihilated. As it was, they were so astounded by the suddenness of this alarming fire, that they began to fall back in confusion, when I rallied them, ordered them to "lie down" as we were protected by the eminence upon the hill above, and went forward to reconnoitre in person, when I saw that we had come upon a large force entrenched. Made a report of these facts to Gen. Jackson, and was ordered to hold my position until relieved, which was done about 12 o'clock that night, and we then went down near the turnpike to bivouac for the night.

When about 8 o'clock, after noticing Generals Lee and Jackson in close conference for some time, we took up that long march for the flank movement which resulted so seriously to the Confederate cause by the loss of Gen. Jackson, though successful in an unprecedented degree in the result of the movement. After a long, tedious and circuitous route to get in the rear of Hooker's army, about 3 o'clock on Saturday evening, the 2nd of May, we were in position with Rodes, Division in front, and unexpectedly to them, fell upon Seigel's Corps that was in reserve, and drove them back for miles upon their lines behind the entrenchments, attacked them, and carried the line of earthworks, took the enemy's camp baggage, the meals, and hot coffe then boiling hot on the fire, which we found very refreshing, and just at dark when we supposed the fighting over, and was in the act of eating my supper, by an enemy's camp-fire and from his larder, then unexpectedly a brisk fire commenced, and in a few minutes cannonading, the enemy raking the woods and plank-road with grape and canister. Fearing the enemy were about to charge, I called upon my troops to occupy the breastwork which we had captured an hour previous, and be prepared for the attack.

After getting in position, and near the plank- road, I went up the road to see if I could hear anything to account for the sudden firing, when I met a party bearing a litter off the field, and enquired who it was. Someone said "Lieutenant Sumter," and upon going a step or two further I encountered Gen. Rodes, who informed me that the wounded officer was none other than Gen. Jackson, but he thought it advisable that it should be concealed from the troops for fear of disheartening them in view of the serious work ahead of us in the morning. We lay down behind the breastworks, and rested for the night.

Sunday; May 3rd, Chancellorsville. Before daybreak this morning we were called upon to hold ourselves in readiness to support other troops when called upon, as in consideration of our having borne the brunt of the fights for the two previous days, others were to take the advance. We rested just in rear of the ---- Brigade [John R. Jones' Brigade], a brigade of previous good reputation, which occupied the breastworks captured by us the day previous. A staff officer rode up and directed by command of Gen. J. E. B. Stuart (who had assumed command after Gen. Jackson was wounded) the officer in command of this brigade [Jones' Brigade] to advance and charge the enemy, Gen. Ramseur and myself being on the plank-road and hearing the order given. This brigade commander declined to move forward his command - except by order of his division commander. Gen. Ramseur then said to this staff officer, "Give me the order and I will charge." I remonstrated with him, saying as we had done the fighting of the two previous days, let this brigade move forward and we would support them. Gen. Ramseur said no, repeated his offer to advance, when this officer said, "Then you make the charge, Gen. Ramseur."Gen. Ramseur then turned to me, saying, "Let us hurry back. Call your men to attention!" which I did upon reaching the command, when he ordered the three regiments of his brigade to advance, the other regiment being detached to pretect our right.

The command "Forward!" was given, and we moved up to the earthwork occupied by this brigade, and had to climb over these men now lying down behind it for protection, and over the breastworks, and again form in line of battle. Our men were entirely disgusted at their cowardly conduct, and I, myself, put my foot on the back and head of an officer of high rank in mounting the work, and through very spite, ground his face in the earth. I heard one exclaim, "You may double quick, but you will come back faster than you go." Mine, the 4th Regiment, was on the left of the command, and our left rested on the plank-road. The command was given and we advanced in a "double quick." The 4th Regiment and three companies of the 2nd Regiment never halted or fired until we had taken the enemy's works in our front and bayonetting Federal soldiers on the opposite side of the earthwork. The hill across the ravine was covered by many batteries of artillery, from forty to fifty guns, which had been scouring the woods through which we had just passed with grape and canister. Seeing their infantry driven from their works, they abandoned this artillery. The enemy made three distinct attempts to retake this work, forming their men in column by taking advantage of a ravine just beyond the turnpike, but each time were driven back with severe loss, our men acting with great courage, enthusiasm and determination.

The artillerists seeing only a small portion of the line held, now rallied again to their guns and opened upon us. About the same time my attention was called to my right and rear where I saw large numbers of the enemy fast closing up our line for retreat (the right of Ramseur's Brigade having halted to deliver their fire upon encountering the enemy where they were engaged, while we had taken the breast- work). Seeing these Federal troops in my rear, I gave the order to abandon the captured works and fall back to the protection of the earthwork still occupied by this (--) Brigade [Jones' Brigade], through whose cowardice we had suffered so severely. We crossed to the right of the plank road, and got back to our line in the best manner possible.

In this charge my sword was severed by a ball, my clothes perforated in many places, and a ball embedded in my sword belt and the scabbard, and I received a very severe contusion on the foot; and upon reaching the earthwork from which we had first started, I had only sufficient strength to get over, and lost consciousness from exhaustion and pain. One of my own ambulance corps seeing my condition, came to my relief, and from a canteen was pouring water over my head when I was recalled to my senses by the voice of Gen. R. E. Rodes, our Division Commander, inquiring, "What troops are these?" The commanding officer who had refused to advance when ordered by Gen. Stuart's staff officer, said the (--) Brigade [Jones' Brigade]. Gen. Rodes said, "Why have you not joined in the charge?" The reply was, "We have had no orders to advance."

Under the stimulus of this falsehood, I fully aroused, pronounced it a base lie; that I had heard the order given myself, and repeated his reply. Whereupon, Gen. Rodes took out his pistol, rode up to this officer, presented the muzzle to his head, and, with an epithet of odium, told him to forward his men, or he would blow his brains out. He then gave the command, and this (--) Brigade then moved forward, and, without firing a gun, reached the breastworks that we had taken, and found the Federal forces had evacuated the hill, and safely carried off all their artillery posted there. If these troops had moved forward in obedience to orders, and encountered the enemy, we would have advanced quickly to their support, and captured the principal part of Hooker's artillery. As it was, we met with terrific slaughter in my command, and failed to take the artillery. This closed the fighting at Chancellorsville, for the infantry.

I was taken upon a litter to the hospital, where my contused foot was attended to. The next day rode over the woods we had charged through, and examined the works we had taken, and found scores upon scores of the enemy killed, around and in front of the work, doubtless killed by my command and the three companies of the 2nd Regiment. Forty- six officers and men out of less than 300 (4th Regiment) were buried near this breastwork the next day.

This charge was as gallant, noble, and self- sacrificing as the world-renowned charge at Balaklava of the immortal "six hundred." Here Polk, my faithful servant, was tempted by the offer of $500 to sell the forage that had been procured by him for my horse, but could not be bought off.

From here we returned to near "Hamilton's Crossing," and turned in the woods to recover from our severe trials of the several previous days, and re-organized, examined, and recommended for appointment and accustom our new officers to command.​

John R. Jones' Brigade of Virginians who's name Grimes omits were the troops that refused to advance. Note that 2nd, 4th, and 14th North Carolina held the captured works until nearly out of ammunition and did not retire from them until the Stonewall Brigade and 30th North Carolina (the latter was guarding artillery at Hazel Grove) were brought up in support on Ramseur's right and filled the gap.

Here are several maps from The Campaign of Chancellorsville: A Strategic and Tactical Study by John Bigelow showing Ramseur's charge on May 3. Click to expand.
Chancellorsville map 1.jpg Chancellorsville map 2.jpg Chancellorsville map 3.jpg

Last edited:
Posted by @Jeff Baucom: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/me...-north-carolina-infantry.135106/#post-1554559

The following Tribute came from the magazine "Confederate Veteran. Vol. 14 JANUARY, 1906 Edition" under the section called "THE LAST ROLL"

Capt. Henry May Warren.
Jesse S. Barnes Camp, U. C. V., of Wilson, N. C., lost a valued member in the death of Capt. Henry May Warren, late Commander of the Camp. He was born March 4, 1836; and enlisted in the war April 17, 1861, as a private in Company F, 4th North Carolina Infantry. His death occurred February 27, 1906, having nearly completed his seventieth year. As a soldier, he exhibited that unflinching courage and sublime heroism which gave the name of Confederate that glory of immortality which will never fade from the pages of history. In time of peace he lived a life equally to be commended for its high-mindedness, and he left behind the record of an honest man, courteous and kind.
4th-regiment-north-carolina-infantry-company-f-grandpa-henry-may-warren-jpg.140225.jpg

Coming back here to add a couple neat photos I ran across while searching through old issues of Military Images Magazine....

Captain William F. Kelly.jpg

(Military Images Magazine, vol. 16, no. 2, September - October 1994)

Osborne, Grimes, Shaffner.jpg

L-R: Edwin A. Osborne, Bryan Grimes, and Surgeon J.F. Shaffner. Sixth-plate ambrotype, circa early 1862.
(Military Images Magazine, vol. 13, no. 3, November - December 1991)

I'm needing some help I had some awesome research done for these names on Ancestory on my fathers side they all fought for the North Carolina units. 20th North Carolina Infantry Company I, 30th North Carolina Company E, and also 3rd North Carolina artillery. I plan on getting some books about them. I have photos of their ancestors and history about my great aunts civil war house in Tarboro NC which is the Morris house which is a bed and breakfast house now.

Here is the story about my great great grandfather another one in the 4th North Carolina Infantry he was a sharpshooter in Company P.

0730200801.jpg

Back