Uniforms 4th Michigan unusual jacket.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Most of us have seen the "Zouave" uniforms of the 4th Michigan Infantry. However, while at the Ypsilanti Museum today I saw this image and wondered about the jacket. Hard to get a good photo through the glass
mich z 2.jpg
mich z 1.jpg

I an not sure I would call this a Zouave jacket or not. it looks like he wears standard issued trousers.

I don't think so, most pre war militias wore frocks of some sorts but I could be wrong. Was this man an officer? Officers sometimes got creative with their jackets but I don't see any rank insignia. It looks like a light color trim probably yellow I'm guessing so maybe a private purchase cavalry jacket or musician maybe? Just taking a few guesses really.

Said to be 4th Michigan Infantry, so why yellow? I am not aware of any pre war militia company form Sturgis Michigan.

The regimental attribution is correct but the name and town are wrong. He is Charles M. Skirvin, Co. C 4th Michigan Infantry, 18 years old and enlisted in January 1863 from Sherman, Michigan. In January 1865 he was appointed Hospital Steward. I think the jacket could be private purchase and not a zouave jacket. Gold lace and trim sometimes appear in mid-war photos of men who re-enlisted and had new fancy jackets made, or jackets made at the end of the war. Perhaps less common are jackets like this worn by mid to late war recruits.

Back