4th Annual Alabama-Kentucky Rifle Show

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
I just heard about this "gun show". It isn't the usual militaria show or gun show. It is strictly for Muzzleloaders---both old and new, I guess.
NO Modern cartridge guns will be allowed.

4th Annual Alabama-Kentucky Rifle Show
The above links has this info.
Thursday, January 9, 202012:00 PM
Saturday, January 11, 20202:00 PM
Cavalry Longrifles LLC
3441 Self Creek RoadWarrior, AL, 35180

2nd Link has this info.
Rogersville, AL
Joe Wheeler State Park (800)544-5639
January 9th, 10th & 11th
Phone: 1-205-680-9219 cell 205-566-1387
E-mail: [email protected]

A local newspaper that gives this info. I would rely on this info.
Rogersville, AL
Friday & Saturday Jan 10-11
Friday 8am-10pm
Saturday 8am - 2pm
Admission: $10 for adults over 16. Free for under 16.
Email: [email protected]

Finally, here is a link to a Facebook Group.
Alabama - Kentucky Rifle Show is an antique gun show.
It is being held at the Joe Wheeler State Park Convention Center.
The show dates for the Public are Friday, Jan. 10th 8 AM to 10 PM and Saturday, Jan. 11th 8 AM to 2 PM.
Vendor set up day is Thursday, Jan. 9th 12 noon to 10 PM ( Please note that Vendor set up day is not open to the public).
Admission is $10 for adults 16 and over, under 16 are free.
Please get tickets at the door for this show.
This show is for cap lock and flint lock firearms only, no metallic cartridge guns are allowed at this show.

Last edited:
Cavalry Longrifles LLC
3441 Self Creek RoadWarrior, AL, 35180
I would like to go to this show. Trying to determine the address. This address is for the Cavalry Longrifles LLC in Pinson/or/Road Warrior---outside of Birmingham.
It seems by consensus, that the show is at Rogersville. Am trying to get a verbal confirmation of that.

This was a FIRST for me. I went to the show to see some old rifles and was expecting to see a lot of Civil War rifles and pistols---both antique and modern replicas. What I saw a lot of Long Rifles----whether you call them Pennsylvania rifles, Kentucky rifles, Tennessee rifles or Hawken rifles.
I thought I would give a review of the show.
First, there were several organizations represented. I don't want to get into the commercial side but the other organizations.
This was put on by the Alabama-Kentucky Rifle Show. One non-profit organizations present was the Contemporary LongRifle Association or CLA for short. I don't know the details of their stated goals but it might be worth checking it out.

Al-KY Show 11.JPG

Al-KY Show 12.JPG

Al-KY Show 13.JPG

A few replica Civil War pistols are seen in the above photo.

Al-KY Show 18.JPG

The rifle in the middle is made from Ash.

Al-KY Show 15.JPG

The Top rifle is an original Hawken Rifle.

I will post more photos after lunch.

Last edited:
One collector did have some early examples of US Navy pistols.
Al-KY Show 22 Naval pistols.JPG

Powder Horns and leather pouches were also in abundance.
I had never seen nor heard of "banded powder horns". Apparently these were popular in the South where the cabinet makers were used to made the details. The "bands" are a piece of turned cow horn that was swaged onto the horn and pinned.

Al-KY Show 16 banded PowderHorns.JPG

Standard horns typical for Northern and New England area.
Al-KY Show 21 Powder Horns.JPG

BUT the highlight of the event was the fine carving and inlays on the rifles.
Al-KY Show 20 stockcarving.JPG

Al-KY Show 19 stockcarving.JPG

I drove 2-1/2 hours to the show not because I wanted to buy or sale a gun. Instead I wanted to get some ideas on how to repair or modify my existing guns. I took 6 of my black powder guns with me as all of them need some type of repair or improvements---including the new one I got for Christmas. But I only took 3 of my guns into the show.
I got some great advice. Also I found a gunsmith dedicated to muzzleloaders who lives only 100 miles from me. That was worth the trip.

I took my Bedford County Pennsylvania rifle into the show and it was the only one like that.
I was totally surprised to locate the man who finished the work that I had begun. He was the owner of Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders of Corinth which is now named Tennessee Valley Manufacturing. He delivered my rifle to me in 1991.
I received a lot of comments and compliments and almost got 1 offer.
Al-KY Show 14 me.JPG

I also took my .31 caliber book pistol to see if anyone had seen one like it or had any reference books on it.
Everyone thought its tapered hexagonal and half round barrel was quite unique.
My pistol is the bottom one.
Al-KY Show 31 boot pistol.JPG

And here(top rifle) is a replica of a unique rifle that was actually made in the 1840's. It is a double-barrel rifle/shotgun combination. The barrels rotated so you could choose to fire a .45 caliber rifle at a deer or twist it around and fire a shotgun at a goose.
Note: it has 1 Hammer but each barrel has a frizzen & touch hole.
These were also made in percussion ignition.
The ramrod is held on the stock between the barrels: the brass thimble can be seen on the right side of this photo.

Al-KY Show 17.JPG

Last edited:
Great looking weapons.

Back