44 Children in 19 Births in 33 years!!!

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
I don't mean to accuse the January 7, 1949, Fort Worth Star Tribune of fibbing ... BUT, this I find a tad hard to swallow:
1627777819214.png
Civil War nurses were tough!!!

ETA: That little blurb appears in dozens of newspapers across the country in 1948-50. A few identify the nurse in question as "Mary Austin," without further comment.

Last edited:
I can check the Guinness Book of World Records because I have the Giant 1988 Revised Edition. I currently do not have any 'Ripley's: Believe it or Not', and invite any member that does have these in stock to look.

In 1988, verified reports without any doubt, proving Guinness is the #1 fact recorder on the market, states;
"The greatest officially recorded number of children produced by a mother is 69 by the first of the two wives of Feodor Vassilyev (b. 1707-fl. 1782), a peasant from Shuya, 150 miles east of Moscow. In 27 confinements she gave birth to 16 pairs of twins, 7 sets of triplets and 4 sets of quadruplets. The children of whom almost all survived to their majority, were born in the period c. 1725-1765. At least 67 survived infancy.
Currently the world's most prolific mother is reported to be Leontina Albina (nee Espinoza) (b. 1925) of San Antonio, Chile, who in 1981 produced her 55th and last child. Her husband Gerardo Secundo Albina (variously Alvina) (b. 1921) states that they were married in Argentina in 1943 and they had 5 sets of triplets (all boys) before coming to Chile. Only 40 (24 boys and 16 girls) survive. Eleven were lost in an earthquake, thus indicating she had more than those born in Chile."

Guinness Book of World Records 1988; A Bantam Book | Published by arrangement with Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., 2 Park Ave., New York, NY 10016. Found on page 18 under 4. 'Reproductivity', Chapter 1, 'The Human Being'.

As hard as it might be to swallow, you better get it down!
Lubliner.

Back