40th New York Inf. re-enactors?

Bob Velke

Corporal
Official Vendor
Does anyone know how I might contact a 40th NY re-enactor? I've seen reference to them online but they don't seem to have a web site, FaceBook page, etc.

I'm researching a Lt. from the Mozart Regiment and I've found that his gravesite in Baltimore is unmarked. I've applied for a military tombstone and we're going to have a little ceremony when it is installed. Some direct descendants will be present and I thought that it would be nice to have someone there representing his regiment.

Thanks for any help.

-Bob

Last edited:
Good luck with your search!! I hope you're able to find a way to contact them. That would be great if some of the members of the regiment could attend.

I'm not in with the reenactor community but I've had some luck via regimental websites which can at least set you in the right direction. Unfortunately, that's the best that I can do.

Ryan

Perhaps try to get in touch with the administration from one of the umbrella organizations in that area. For example, the First Federal Division has member units from OH, PA, the Cumberland Guard has MI and IN units. I’m not familiar with NY or that area but perhaps by networking you may eventually find someone with ties to your unit. You might even be able to contact someone from the organizations I listed to get some names to start with in that area of the country.

Another route you might go is sutlers. Some of the larger firms may have contacts or know someone who does.

Unfortunately civil war reenactors as a whole, in my experience, at least, are slow to adopt modern technology to improve networking. Go figure.

I wish you the best of luck.

You might be doing well to locate a local Union reenactment group in the Baltimore area to attend. Unless the 40th NY infantry group has some members in Maryland (doubtful). The most likely outcome if the unit doesn't have an active presence such as a website or Facebook page there probably aren't many members. It is unlikely that they are still active.

Back