40th GA Infantry, Co. E, Gordon Infantry -- Information Needed Please!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Ole Miss

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
A happy belated Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

Rota

Cadet
Hello! Crookedwren here (long story about the name! LOL) --

I'm very interested in the Civil War -- especially the stories of the men who fought there, their letters home, etc.

Right now, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I spent months reading about the Phillips Legion, Co. B, Dalton Guards, believing my 2X great grandfather Wm J Hooper was the Wm J Hooper who is listed in that unit.

Then, just a few days ago, I finally stumbled on my 2X GGF's Confederate Pension Application. It's definitely my ancestor (names, places, details confirm), but he says he was in Co. E, 40th GA Infantry, was captured at Baker's Creek, Mississippi and imprisoned at Ft. Delaware.

SO -- I found a Co E reg list -- and it's a doozy. More than one officer resigned BEFORE they were all captured. Some were captured and, as in the case of my 2XGGF, some were written off as deserters after their capture, when they took the Oath of Allegiance at Chattanooga.

ANYWAY, I can find very little on the 40th Georgia -- and I know almost nothing about the Western campaigns.

Hoping someone can help!

Blessings & Thanks!
Melanie B.
Phillips Legion, Co. B, "Dalton Guards" (infantry) were mostly from Whitfield County.

Phillips Legion, Co. B, "Johnson Guards" (Cavalry) were mostly from Cobb and Bartow County.

Co. E, 40th GA Infantry, "Gordon Infantry" were mostly from Gordon County