40th GA Infantry, Co. E, Gordon Infantry -- Information Needed Please!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

crookedwren

Cadet
Hello! Crookedwren here (long story about the name! LOL) --

I'm very interested in the Civil War -- especially the stories of the men who fought there, their letters home, etc.

Right now, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I spent months reading about the Phillips Legion, Co. B, Dalton Guards, believing my 2X great grandfather Wm J Hooper was the Wm J Hooper who is listed in that unit.

Then, just a few days ago, I finally stumbled on my 2X GGF's Confederate Pension Application. It's definitely my ancestor (names, places, details confirm), but he says he was in Co. E, 40th GA Infantry, was captured at Baker's Creek, Mississippi and imprisoned at Ft. Delaware.

SO -- I found a Co E reg list -- and it's a doozy. More than one officer resigned BEFORE they were all captured. Some were captured and, as in the case of my 2XGGF, some were written off as deserters after their capture, when they took the Oath of Allegiance at Chattanooga.

ANYWAY, I can find very little on the 40th Georgia -- and I know almost nothing about the Western campaigns.

Hoping someone can help!

Blessings & Thanks!
Melanie B.

luinrina

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Greetings from Germany and welcome aboard from The Traveler's Companion and Other Notable Biographies forum, Melanie! :smile:

I'm sorry I can't help but I'm sure our experts will be along shortly. :smile:

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Welcome from the Ancestry forum--please be sure to check us out. We're a great resource for genealogists. :smile:

Sometimes Confederate records can be a little crazy. I've found the same thing with some of my ancestors in which they were captured but listed as deserters. (And to be fair, I've also found some genuine deserters, too. LOL)

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Welcome! Looking forward to your perspective in our discussions! Enjoy!