Trivia 4-4-19 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3817_126195488080.jpg

Your name is Francis Davis Millet, and according to your tombstone, you “drowned in the loss of the ship ‘Titanic’ on the 15th of April, 1912.” Your friend Major Butt also perished in the disaster, but while your body was recovered and buried in East Bridgewater, Mass., his was not.
3817_124448429591.jpg

Mr Francis Davis Millet at Encyclopedia Titanica
Major Archibald Willingham Butt at Encyclopedia Titanica

Cuddo's to anyone else who gets this one - as the clues were pretty sketchy. I gave up twice on this but before surrendered I thought I would take a shot in the dark and check the roster of the greatest tragedy that comes to mind - the sinking of the Titanic and there was a post war Butt, who I had come across earlier but could not find where he was a colonel. So backtracking I learned that officer Archibald Butt, born in 1865, died on board the Titanic in the company of a friend, Francis David Millet, who was a medical aide and drummer during the Civil War. Wikipedia does not confirm the soldiers rank as Colonel, reverses the job as drummer first and medical aide next, and does not mention the friendship was controversial, but does mention the trip was politically controversial.

Source 1
Source 2

ANSWER: I am Francis Davis Millet. I was a drummer in Company C, 60th Mass. I died (along with Colonel Archibald Butt) in the sinking of the Titanic.

SOURCES: Wikipedia article on Francis Davis Millet
Wikipedia article on Archibald Butt
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org (entries on both Butt and Millet)
Mass Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the Civil War, Volume 5, Roster of the 60th Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back