Trivia 4-3-19 Parody

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bounce: Now I have a catchy tune! Awesome parody, Donna - I chuckled heartily at that. :thumbsup:

But man is that second blank difficult to fill! Nothing rhymes on "women" that would make sense with Butler's departure from New Orleans. I found several sources (among them Scarred by War: Civil War in Southeast Louisiana (p. 199) and Butler's memoirs (p. 532-533)) that say Butler handed command over to Banks on December 16 but left the city only on Christmas Eve, December 24. This site says he left on December 16, at 10 o'clock. Ignoring the obviously mistaken date of change of command with physically leaving the city and since I can't find anything else that would fit the "right at" in front of the blank, I'm going with 10 o'clock though it doesn't rhyme with "women" and no other source had any indication as to a time of departure.

The folks of New Orleans gladly said adieu
in the year of the Lord - Eighteen Sixty-Two.
there were smiles on the faces of the many women
when he left that morning right at 10 o’clock.

Butler the Beast - from the northeast.
Our hate is deep, your leaving is sweet,
We’d like to forget - but we’ll always remember,
when we said goodbye on the 24th of December.

I'm probably going to slap myself senseless for having been stupid once the answer is revealed but right now, after having trawled the internet for a good three hours, I'm at a loss what else it could be. :frown:

Oops! I need a do over. This is my answer. Sorry Hoosier!

The folks of New Orleans gladly said adieu
in the year of the Lord - Eighteen 62.
there were smiles on the faces of the many women
when he left that morning right at ten.

Butler the Beast - from the northeast.
Our hate is deep, your leaving is sweet,
We’d like to forget - but we’ll always remember,
when we said goodbye on the 16th of December.

Source
He left New Orleans on December 16, 1862. The Daily Picayune on that date covered the event in one sentence: “We learn that General Butler and staff will leave the city at 10 o’clock this morning for the North.”

Sixty-two
Ten
Sixteenth
December

Note: Never at a loss for words, Butler would not depart without offering a strong defense of his actions. On December 24, he delivered a lengthy and spirited farewell address to the people of New Orleans.

“The enemies of my country, unrepentant and implacable, I have treated with merited severity,” he said. “I hold that rebellion is treason, and treason persisted in is death, and any punishment short of that due a traitor gives so much clear gain to him from clemency from the Government.” Butler named slavery as the evil the people of New Orleans must remove. “Look around you and say whether this saddening, deadening influence has not all but destroyed the very framework of your society?”

Answer
in the year of the Lord - Eighteen 62.
when he left that morning right at 10.
when we said goodbye on the 16th of December.

He left New Orleans on December 16, 1862. The Daily Picayune on that date covered the event in one sentence: “We learn that General Butler and staff will leave the city at 10 o’clock this morning for the North.”

Edit - Numerous players submitted a link to 64parishes.org which apparently supports this answer. Every time I click on that link, I get an error message saying "This page can't be displayed." It asks me to make sure that several advanced settings are turned on - I checked, and they are, but I still can't access the page. I have no idea what the problem is.

Other players found a link to a HistoryNet article which says that Butler delivered a lengthy farewell address to the people of New Orleans on December 24. If that's the case, it would seem that the article in the December 16 edition of the Daily Picayune reporting that Butler would be leaving at 10 o'clock that morning jumped the gun by about eight days. However, the HistoryNet article does not specify an exact time for Butler's departure.

I am going to give credit for both December 16 and December 24, 1862, as the correct date. I can find no support for any other dates. As for the time, I will give credit for either 10 or 11 o'clock, since those rhyme (sort of) with "women." I'm going to rule out "dawn" and "seven," since it seems unlikely that enough people would have been around at such an early hour for Butler to bother giving a lengthy farewall address.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back