Trivia 4-25-19 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
I came to America in 1864, after being recruited in Europe. I 'jumped ship' on arrival in Boston and went to New York, where I and enlisted in the First New York Volunteer Cavalry, receiving a $200 bonus. I served with Sheridan for the remainder of the war. Afterward, I tried whaling, then broke I rode a freight car west. In Missouri, I tried a number of jobs with no success, spending much of my time in the library. There, in the chess room, I met two newspaper editors who helped me get into the newspaper business. It was a business I loved and through long hours of hard work, I had great success and eventually even some fame.
Who am I?

credit: @WJC

I came to America in 1864, after being recruited in Europe. I 'jumped ship' on arrival in Boston and went to New York, where I and enlisted in the First New York Volunteer Cavalry, receiving a $200 bonus. I served with Sheridan for the remainder of the war. Afterward, I tried whaling, then broke I rode a freight car west. In Missouri, I tried a number of jobs with no success, spending much of my time in the library. There, in the chess room, I met two newspaper editors who helped me get into the newspaper business. It was a business I loved and through long hours of hard work, I had great success and eventually even some fame.
Who am I?

credit: @WJC
Nice to see an immigrant like Pulitzer feature in a trivia quizz.

"Some fame" - hah! Understatement of the year considering the Pulitzer Price is named after him and exists only because he willed his money for it.

You are Joseph John Pulitzer (April 10, 1847 – October 29, 1911).

Source: Wikipedia

Thanks for the question, @WJC ! Didn't know about the man behind the prize and that he's tied into the ACW. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back