Trivia 4-12-17 Who Am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
My father, whose name was the same as mine, was a distinguished poet, physician, professor, and lecturer. One of his most famous poems helped preserve a historic ship. During my senior year at Harvard, I enlisted in the 20th Massachusetts. By the end of the war I was a brevet colonel. During the war, I am said to have called a high-ranking civilian a "fool." After the war, I had a distinguished legal career, culminating in a seat on the Supreme Court, serving until I was 90 years old and writing many landmark opinions. Who am I?

credit: @MaryDee

Edit - It had previously been announced that the trivia game would be on hiatus April 14-21 and would resume on April 24, with no questions to be posted or scored during the hiatus period.

I feel that there is a possibility that one or more players interpreted this announcement to mean that the thread posted on April 12 would be left open until April 24, and that they would have that much time to research and post their answer.

If any player was caught by surprise by the fact that this thread was closed on April 14, when they were expecting to post their answer at a later date, please send me a private conversation and let me know. If I receive such a private conversation related to this thread, I will have to throw out the question.

Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
He was Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Love his quote!
“Get Down you Damm Fool?”

Known as “The Harvard Regiment,” the 20th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry was formed in Roxbury, MA. All of the officers, and a portion of the enlisted men, were Harvard graduates, hence the nickname. The regiment was catapulted into battle in October, 1861, a mere month out of basic training; it was four years before they laid down their weapons at the end of the war. Among the Harvard men who served was Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., who would go on to be nominated to the Supreme Court by Teddy Roosevelt and be remembered as one of the most influential Justices in American history.

One “celebrity” of the Harvard Regiment was Colonel Paul J Revere, who was killed in the Battle of Gettysburg. He was the grandson of his namesake, the midnight rider and patriot of the American Revolution. An unusual monument—a puddingstone boulder—was erected in memory of Revere and the 43 other men of his company who died at the Battle of Gettysburg. The 30-ton colossus, dedicated in 1886, was imported by train from Roxbury, where many of the soldiers grew up. Now, it can be visited on Hancock Avenue, near the immortalized “copse of trees” and the Confederate High Water Mark.

O
My father, whose name was the same as mine, was a distinguished poet, physician, professor, and lecturer. One of his most famous poems helped preserve a historic ship. During my senior year at Harvard, I enlisted in the 20th Massachusetts. By the end of the war I was a brevet colonel. During the war, I am said to have called a high-ranking civilian a "fool." After the war, I had a distinguished legal career, culminating in a seat on the Supreme Court, serving until I was 90 years old and writing many landmark opinions. Who am I?

Edit - Sorry, Jimklag, it looks like only the first letter of your answer came through.

Welcome to the trivia game, anyway. Hope you'll come back and play again, and that you'll have better luck submitting a complete answer.

Hoosier

You are the handsome Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

upload_2017-4-12_14-58-18.png

upload_2017-4-12_15-29-9.png

upload_2017-4-12_14-59-21.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oliver_Wendell_Holmes_Jr.&oldid=769783081

Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Edit - I'll give you credit for a correct answer, B. Vail.

Welcome to the trivia game. Hope you'll come back and play again.

Hoosier

Oliver Wendell Holmes, jr, Brevet Colonel, 20th Massachusetts Infantry, later Justice and Acting Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court.

Edit - Correct, WJC. Welcome to the trivia game.

Hope you'll come back and play again.

Hoosier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back