Trivia 4-1-19 Deathbed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
On his deathbed, Stonewall Jackson described being anesthetized for the removal of his left arm. How did he describe it?

credit: @Eleanor Rose

He said it was "the most delightful physical sensation I ever experienced."

1554118878630.png

Source:
The History Buff's Guide to the Civil War / by Thomas R. Flagel, page 124

Last edited by a moderator:
"No." Then Jackson said "I have always thought it wrong to administer chloroform in cases where there is a probability of immediate death," but, he continued "It was the most delightful physical sensation I ever experienced. I seem to remember the most delightful music that ever greeted my ears, but I should dislike above all things to enter eternity in such a condition.”
(I’m hoping this isn’t into some type of April Fool’s Question. His left arm was amputated at 2:00 AM Sunday, May 3rd. This quote was said while he was still at the Field Hospital a few hours after his amputation, before he was eventually moved to another home/bed and die a week later)
https://www.vmi.edu/media/content-assets/documents/archives/Jackson_death_article.pdf - page 1

On his deathbed, Stonewall Jackson described being anesthetized for the removal of his left arm. How did he describe it?

credit: @Eleanor Rose
Jackson was given chloroform. He described the effects as the “most delightful physical sensation I ever experienced.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back