3rd Texas Infantry

Nice flag. Reminded me of this Texas Cavalry flag just put out for display at a Northern Illinois Museum. It is supposed this flag was captured by the 127th Illinois at Ft. Hindemann in Arkansas, (although donator claimed Lookout Mountain at Chattanooga). Something inside me is saying this flag should be returned to Texas, not that I know what to do about it.

cw flag MVMC A.jpg

Last edited:
I would tend to think the Flag shown for the Third Texas would at least sport the name 'Jenkin's Ferry' upon it, if it is the latter of the two, presented @AUG?
Lubliner.
"Battle flag" doesn't necessarily mean that it was the one to be carried into battle. Of the two mentioned in the newspaper articles, "regimental flag" probably refers to a flag that is of a unique design, while it's believed that the surviving flag is the "battle flag" because it's of the same design as the official Confederate Battle Flag, albeit with colors reversed.

It's not known for certain if either of the two flags the Third was presented were carried into battle at Jenkins' Ferry, but even if they were then battle honors were not always applied. I've seen other flags that were carried through many battles, yet with no battle honors.

Nice flag. Reminded me of this Texas Cavalry flag just put out for display at a Northern Illinois Museum. It is supposed this flag was captured by the 127th Illinois at Ft. Hindemann in Arkansas, (although donator claimed Lookout Mountain at Chattanooga). Something inside me is saying this flag should be returned to Texas, not that I know what to do about it.

View attachment 303057

Hello,

I was the historian that saw this flag years ago in Rockford, IL and told them that it strongly resembled several existing Texas unit colors and that it was probably taken at Arkansas Post/Fort Hindman in January 1863. I know of not unit in the Confederate Army of Tennessee that carried a flag like this at Lookout Mountain. Sometimes donor information is incorrect. Very nice and rare flag indeed.

Flag Guy

Back