3rd Ga at Sharpsburg - My ancestor's sword shot in two at Bloody Lane

John C Hall Jr

Private
Sharpsburg Map.jpg

From my book, Above the High Water Mark, the 3rd Georgia advance and retreat at Bloody Lane. A park service ranger provided me with this map and a great write up of the 3rd at the bloodiest day of the war.

Captain Corker letters are the basis of my book. (Available on Amazon or directly from the author for a signed copy) The letters start from 1859 going to till 1872. Corker would go onto leading the 3rd Ga at Gettysburg and then after the war get elected to the 41st US Congress in 1870.

Captain Corker wrote his wife after this battle with the following letter.

The Bloodiest Day of the War

Camp near Winchester, VA

Oct. 5 - 1862

My Dear Wife –

I have been writing you at Chester for two weeks & learned yesterday thro a letter from you Ind. McCullough’s wife that you had reached home about the ulto. John says she had not been to see you but was going over next day – I was somewhat sorry at your going home for I think we will be in Richmond in another month. You have never written me or if you have I never received any letter from you – I went thru the Maryland Campaign & never got hurt tho My sword was shot in two at the battle of Sharpsburg – The same ball killed Ray Wormack & struck Sam Palmer & severely wounded one of Company G – I had but 7 men in the fight. The men were marching so hard the night before all fell out but 7. I can out march any man we got but it has broke me down – I am very thin but my gen’l health is good – Bob Clark was killed over there. Bill took two shots was wounded but not serious – Toward the close of the battle I was the only Burke Guard in the fight all but me having been killed or wounded – I remained over an hour with nothing to fight with my sword being shot away. I done this because some mean persons are disposed to talk about me – God forgive them – Another reason Capt. Nisbit was already killed in the morning & if Capt. Jones has been disabled I would have been in command of the Regmt. a position I do not desire but would not shrink from under such circumstances – I was near Nisbit when he fell & reported the fact to Jones – Wright was wounded in leg & side slightly - I forgot to say Bill Wormack was shot in the face & mouth which stopped his gab & I was glad of it – Write me at Richmond & I will get it – Give all my love. Kiss Son & Sis Julie – Ed & Johnny are well. Yours affectionately Fes

P.S. I wrote to Ma to lend me Tom to cook for me & to take Sam in his place if she needed him – I thot may be as meat was scarce she would not want anyone – Tell her not to send Tom unless he wants to come – There is no danger in his being here – give Ma & all my love – Did you order yr. letters forwarded from Chastn [Charleston] – Remember me to Elbert & other svts [servants]– I hope to come home this winter on furlough. Good by with love Fes

Attachments

• Corker Cover Final.jpg
    Corker Cover Final.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 103
Will be ordering your book,my GG Grandfather John T. McCullough was with the 3rd Ga. Co. A (died at Gettysburg) I see a McCullough is mentioned in your post.
It is your ancestor....further in the book your description of being wounded at Gettysburg and dying matches what Captain Corker wrote home about. I won't post it here less I spoil your chance to actually read the letters that mention McCullough!......If you want a signed copy send $22 to John C. Hall, Jr, 307 West Gaines St. Dublin, Ga 31021

Back