3rd Corps (Army of Northern Virginia) at Gettysburg

Elennsar

Colonel
Hill didn't behave inappropriately at Gettysburg. On the first day, he was the one who contributed most to the Confederate victory of the day and on day two, his spent troopers were engaged spectacularly, earning the admiration of friend and foe alike. Little Powell was a gifted corps commander, as well as an excellent division commander. With apologies to Cleburne, Hill was the best division commander for the CSA and perhaps for both sides.
Civil War Scholar.

On the first day, Hill sent in Heth's division without any regard for what was in its front, where it got chewed up by 1st Corps (Archer's and Davis's brigades especially). His use of Pender's division was not much better when it went in - yes it ultimately took Seminary Ridge, but at a higher than necessary cost in casualties.

And characterizing that as contributing more than Ewell rolling up 11th Corps is an uncertain assertion at best.

On day 2, his men were anything but engaged spectacularly. Heth's division wasn't in the fight, nor was Pender's division, leaving only three of Anderson's brigades - Posey being bogged down skirmishing and Mahone refusing to advance.

Yes, those who were involved fought well, but there was no manner of skillful deployment or even utilization of all 3rd corps (even considering the shape of Heth's command, Thomas and Lane from Pender and Mahone and Posey from Anderson could have and should have taken part in the fighting.).

And on day 3, Hill essentially did nothing to contribute even in regards to making sure Lee knew the condition of Heth's division.

This is not a successful depute. If your idea of "appropriately" is getting six of thirteen brigades cut up on day 1 and only having 3 brigades play a significant part in the fighting on day 2, then I can only say that such decisions as Hill made do not win battles.

Hill played almost no role at Gettysburg. His troops did but he was very much an empty suit because of his ill health.

The extent of his actions on July 1st was telling Heth on the 30th that he had no problem with Heth going to Gettysburg in the morning.

On July 2nd, where was he when Anderson's attack fell apart when Posey got stalled by the fight at the Bliss Farm? Where was he when Pender went down?

And Hill played no role on the 3rd.

His actions as a corps commander are very mixed, primarily because of his failing health.

R

At his headquarters at best on July 2 - I think he was too proud to admit to being too ill to command, but the evidence suggests it might have been better if he had done so.

At his headquarters at best on July 2 - I think he was too proud to admit to being too ill to command, but the evidence suggests it might have been better if he had done so.

He certainly didn't command much of anything at Gettysburg, that's for sure.

R

Longstreet said Hill should have led the attack on the third day, as two-thirds of the troops were of other commands. Hill perhaps should have been the one in charge of Pickett's Charge, but if you study the situation, he may have not been up to the task. All that is up for debate, but one thing for sure Longstreet didn't believe in the plan and that may have hurt the execution.

Leaving the issue of whether or not Longstreet's execution was all it was cracked up to be or if Hill was physically fit to command the assault, Hill did not ensure Lee was informed of the state of his brigades - he may not have been altogether certain himself, but as the corps commander it is his duty to have at least an approximate notion.

That goes under the failure column.

Relations between Longstreet and Hill were not good either. He had four brigades of Heath's division and and two from Pender's all of which were on loan from Hill's corps. Longstreet got no support from Hill in working with these men.

Relations between Longstreet and Hill were not good either. He had four brigades of Heath's division and and two from Pender's all of which were on loan from Hill's corps. Longstreet got no support from Hill in working with these men.

There was a lot of that at Gettysburg. Ewell requested assistance from Hill on July 1st in order to attack Cemetery Hill and got nothing from Hill.

R

There was a lot of that at Gettysburg. Ewell requested assistance from Hill on July 1st in order to attack Cemetery Hill and got nothing from Hill.

R
Hill had a reputation of problems with others. Case in point, Jackson during the invasion of Maryland, Jackson had Hill arrested and after the campaign charged him with eight counts of dereliction of duty.

Hill had a reputation of problems with others. Case in point, Jackson during the invasion of Maryland, Jackson had Hill arrested and after the campaign charged him with eight counts of dereliction of duty.

In this case, I think it had more to do with his health than anything else. He shouldn't have been in command of anything that July.

R

In this case, I think it had more to do with his health than anything else. He shouldn't have been in command of anything that July.

R
I know you have read the speculation that he was aflicted with a std from when he was at West point. I also remember this; Historian Larry Tagg described Hill as "always emotional ... so high strung before battle that he had an increasing tendency to become unwell when the fighting was about to commence." This tendency was to some extent balanced by the implied swagger and combative attitude that he displayed. He often donned a red calico hunting shirt when a battle was about to start and the men under his command would pass the word, "Little Powell's got on his battle shirt!" and begin to check their weapons.

I know you have read the speculation that he was aflicted with a std from when he was at West point. I also remember this; Historian Larry Tagg described Hill as "always emotional ... so high strung before battle that he had an increasing tendency to become unwell when the fighting was about to commence." This tendency was to some extent balanced by the implied swagger and combative attitude that he displayed. He often donned a red calico hunting shirt when a battle was about to start and the men under his command would pass the word, "Little Powell's got on his battle shirt!" and begin to check their weapons.

I was reading something on Hill and apparently he only wore the "battle shirt" once, during the Seven Days as I recall. But the legend became reality in the aftermath of the war (for example, he was not wearing the red shirt at Gettysburg as has been depicted in a few paintings of his meeting with Lee at Cashtown).

R

I was reading something on Hill and apparently he only wore the "battle shirt" once, during the Seven Days as I recall. But the legend became reality in the aftermath of the war (for example, he was not wearing the red shirt at Gettysburg as has been depicted in a few paintings of his meeting with Lee at Cashtown).

R
Always interesting how things get blown up over time. Ha, at Gettysburg he was probably not even wearing pants, much less the famed red shirt.:smile coffee:

Hill was too ill on July 1 to be in effective command of Heth's and Pender's attack. Fremantle noted how ill Hill looked that day. And of course Hill's health would loom over almost his entire tenure as Corps commander

Longsreet's issue was he thought Hill was picked only because he was a Virginian correct? I always felt like Longstreet thought Hood, Anderson or McLaws should've been moved up.

Longstreet on Hill's promotion in From Manassas to Appomattox:

As the senior major-general of the army, and by reason of distinguished services and ability, General Ewell was entitled to the command of the Second Corps, but there were other major-generals of rank next below Ewell whose services were such as to give them claims next after Ewell's, so that when they found themselves neglected there was no little discontent, and the fact that both the new lieutenant-generals were Virginians made the trouble more grievous.4

4 General D. H. Hill was next in rank to General Ewell. He was the hero of Bethel, Seven Pines, South Mountain, and the hardest fighter at Sharpsburg. His record was as good as that of “StonewallJackson, but, not being a Virginian, he was not so well advertised.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:2001.05.0027:chapter=24

However, by the time Longstreet wrote that, he was, to put it mildly, embittered. I cannot recall any expression at the time of Longstreet's feelings.

Anyone who can track what A. P. Hill was doing during the Battle of Gettysburg can write a book and sell tens of thousands of copies and make a mint.

Longstreet on Hill's promotion in From Manassas to Appomattox:

As the senior major-general of the army, and by reason of distinguished services and ability, General Ewell was entitled to the command of the Second Corps, but there were other major-generals of rank next below Ewell whose services were such as to give them claims next after Ewell's, so that when they found themselves neglected there was no little discontent, and the fact that both the new lieutenant-generals were Virginians made the trouble more grievous.4

4 General D. H. Hill was next in rank to General Ewell. He was the hero of Bethel, Seven Pines, South Mountain, and the hardest fighter at Sharpsburg. His record was as good as that of “StonewallJackson, but, not being a Virginian, he was not so well advertised.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:2001.05.0027:chapter=24

However, by the time Longstreet wrote that, he was, to put it mildly, embittered. I cannot recall any expression at the time of Longstreet's feelings.
Longstreet's opinion of D H Hill may have been different than that of A P Hill , all due respects.

Back