3rd Arkansas Infantry


1st Lieutenant
Dec 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Expired Image Removed I was doing some research on my ancestors at Pleasant Hill Cemetery and came across the tombstone of
Elijah D. Goza (no kin). He was a private in Company I of the 3rd Arkansas Infantry. He was paroled at
Appomattox, Virginia on April 12, 1865.


Sep 30, 2013


Sep 30, 2013
Goza, Elijah D
Private—Enlisted in Co. I, 3rd Arkansas Infantry, at Tulip, Arkansas, June 25, 1861; paroled at Appomattox, Virginia, April 12, 1865; born in Chester county, South Carolina, c1831; buried in Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Hot Spring county, Arkansas; married Sarah Angeline Matthews in Hot Spring county, February 11, 1875; filed Arkansas pension application #18623 from Hot Spring county, August 4, 1904.

Dec 31, 2010
Kingsport, Tennessee
Goza, Elijah D
Private—Enlisted in Co. I, 3rd Arkansas Infantry, at Tulip, Arkansas, June 25, 1861; paroled at Appomattox, Virginia, April 12, 1865; born in Chester county, South Carolina, c1831; buried in Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Hot Spring county, Arkansas; married Sarah Angeline Matthews in Hot Spring county, February 11, 1875; filed Arkansas pension application #18623 from Hot Spring county, August 4, 1904.

Third Arkansas regiment of infantry

The Third Arkansas regiment of infantry was organized
at Lynchburg, Va., in June, 1861. When Dr. W. H. Tebbs
and Van H. Manning, a lawyer at Hamburg, Ashley
county, early in 1861 organized two companies and
marched them to Vicksburg, and from there tendered
their services to the Confederate States at Montgomery,
Ala., the secretary of war refused to accept them. Their
officers then went to Montgomery, and by persistent en-
treaty succeeded at length in securing their admission
into the army "for the war. " Captain Manning was an
impetuous Southerner, as was Dr. Tebbs, and they had no
idea of being refused, but insisted until they obtained
marching orders for their little battalion. Manning
knew Hon. Albert Rust, then a member of Congress from
his district, obtained the assistance of his influence, and
as Rust decided to enter the service, Manning urged him
to return to his home at Champagnolle, raise eight more
companies and follow on to some rendezvous, where they
together could organize a regiment for the service "dur-
ing the war. " Rust did so and joined Manning at Lynch-
burg, where the regiment was organized, really the
"First" regiment from Arkansas, as regular troops of the
Confederacy, enlisted for the war. Upon the organization
the officers chosen were, Col. Albert Rust, Lieut.-
Col. Seth M. Barton, Maj. Van H. Manning, Adjt.
Henry A. Butler, Surgeon Joseph Brown, of Union
county. Company A, Capt. W. H. Tebbs, of Ashley
county; Company B, Captain Capers, of Ashley county;
Company C, Capt. T. M. Whittington, of Drew county;
Company D, Captain Douglas, of Desha county; Com-
pany E, Capt. R. S. Taylor, of Desha county; Company
F, Captain Thrasher, of Hot Spring county ; Company G,
Captain Ruddy, of Union county; Company H, Captain
Reed, of Desha county; Company I, Capt. J. H. Alex-
ander, of Dallas county; Company K, Capt. Wilson
Wilkins, of Ashley county. Colonels Rust and Barton
being promoted to brigadier-generals, Major Manning
became colonel, Capt. R. S. Taylor became lieutenant-col-
onel, and Capt. W. Wilkins major, subsequently succeeded
by Major Smith. The regiment was ordered to the
mountains of West Virginia, where it performed arduous
and discouraging service in the campaign on the Gauley
and Cheat rivers. It was followed by hard marching under
Stonewall Jackson, whom Colonel Rust described as an
impracticable old schoolmaster, who said grace before he
ate and prayed before going to bed. The regiment was
engaged in the battles of Greenbrier and Allegheny.
Under Stonewall Jackson at Winchester, in January,
1862, it marched to Bath and Romney, returned to Win-
chester, and was ordered thence to Fredericksburg, and
assigned to the brigade of Gen. T. H. Holmes. It was
engaged in the battle of White Oak Swamp, June 3, 1862;
in J. G. Walker's brigade, July 1, 1862, participated
in the battle of Malvern Hill, and was at Sharpsburg
September 17, 1862, where Colonel Manning was seriously
wounded. At Fredericksburg it was assigned to Hood's
Texas brigade, commanded by General Robertson, and
was recruited by consolidating with it Bronaugh's battal-
ion of five Arkansas companies. It was not engaged at
the battle of Chancellorsville, as it was with Longstreet at
that time at Suffolk. It participated in the battle of Gettys-
burg, in Longstreet's corps, and fought at Chickamauga,
September 19 and zo, 1863, where the gallant Major
Reedy was mortally wounded. From there it went with
Longstreet to Knoxville, and under General Gregg, of
Texas, was in the battle of the Wilderness, May 6, 1864;
marching at double-quick several miles that morning to
save the Confederate line. In the engagement that day, its
colonel, Manning, was shot through the thigh, and being
captured was detained a prisoner of war until three months
after the surrender of Lee. Judge Joe Alexander, as a
private, lost an arm in that battle. The regiment, which
was one of the largest in the army by the accession of
Bronaugh's battalion, having on its roster about 1,500
men, was in the bloody battle of Cold Harbor, June r,
1864, where Texas and Arkansas soldiers exemplified a
valor which was never surpassed. It was at Deep Run,
August 6, 1864; at Petersburg during the siege by Grant;
at High Bridge and Farmville in 1865 ; was in the retreat
with Lee, and surrendered at Appomattox, where it
stacked only 300 guns out of the 1,500 it carried ten
months before. One of its noted achievements was the
repulse of a Maine regiment at Spottsylvania, after the
latter had repulsed the Fourth and Fifth Texas, which
were smaller regiments. Colonel Manning, after being
discharged from prison, settled in Mississippi, married,
and upon the overthrow of the carpet-bag government in
that State was elected representative in Congress.

Source: Confederate Military History, vol. XIV, p. 296
Gettysburg after battle report:

Report of Col. Van H. Manning, Third Arkansas Infantry.
Near Hagerstown, Md.,
July 8, 1863.
Lieut.: I have the honor to report the part taken by this
command in the recent battle near Gettysburg, Pa.

About 4 o'clock on the evening of July 2, I was ordered to move
against the enemy, keeping my right well connected with the left of
the First Texas Regt., and hold my left on the Emmitsburg road,
then some 200 yards in my front and out of view.

Upon reaching this road, I discovered, from the direction the directing
regiment was taking, that I could not with the length of my line
carry out the latter order; hence I decided to keep my command on
a prolongation of the line formed by the troops on my right. After
marching in line of battle at a brisk gait (part of the way at a
double-quick) for about 1,000 yards, all the time exposed to a destructive
fire from artillery, we engaged the enemy at short range, strongly posted
behind a rock fence at the edge of woods. We drove him back with
but little loss for a distance of 150 yards, when I ascertained that I
was suffering from a fire to my left and rear. Thereupon I ordered
a change of front to the rear on first company, but the noise consequent
upon the heavy firing then going on swallowed up my command,
and I contented myself with the irregular drawing back of the
left wing, giving it an excellent fire, which pressed the enemy back
in a very short while, whereupon the whole line advanced, the enemy
fighting stubbornly, but retiring.

Soon I was again admonished that my left was seriously threatened,
when I ordered the command back 50 or 75 yards to meet this contingency.
He was again driven back, and I stretched out my front
twice its legitimate length, guarding well my left, and advanced to
the ledge of rocks from which we had previously been dislodged by
the enemy's movement upon my flank. I experienced some annoyance
from the exposure of this flank up to this moment, when Col.
[F. H.] Little, of the Eleventh Georgia Regt., joined to my left.
The Fifty-ninth Georgia Regt., coming also at this time, occupied
the line with my command. Some little time after this, I was
disabled by concussion and wound on my nose and forehead. The
command then devolved upon Lieut.-Col. Taylor, who will
report its operations subsequent to this time.

It would be invidious to make special mention of gallantry with
either officers or men when all did so well, fighting greatly superior
numbers and at great disadvantage. I might safely assume that the
bearing of the entire command was of the highest creditable character.

No guns or colors were captured, and but few (some 25) prisoners,
a number of whom were sent to the rear with wounded men.

Below I submit a list of killed, wounded, and missing.* The
wounded include only those disabled indefinitely. Quite a number
were temporarily disabled by slight wounds, but resumed their
duties in a few days; hence I make no mention of them in this report.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,

Col., Comdg. Third Arkansas Regt.

Lieut. [John W.] Kerr,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Robertson's Brigade.

Source: Official Records: Series I. Vol. 27. Part II. Reports. Serial No. 44
Chickamagua after battle report:

Report of Col. Van H. Manning, Third Arkansas Infantry.

September 26, 1863.
SIR: At 3. 30 in the evening of the 19th instant, I was ordered
to move my regiment (then formed in line of battle on the left of
the brigade) to the front. I advanced about 300 yards, when the
enemy made his appearance so far to my left as to necessitate a
change of my front so suit the direction from which he was
observed to be advancing.

From this point we opened fire and continued our
advance, pressing him back for about 600 yards. When we had
gone this distance, Brig.-Gen. Benning's command came to our
support and I withdrew to reform my regiment, and thus ended
our part in the first day's battle. We were fighting only about one
hour, but had a number, remarkably large, killed and wounded
during this time.

On the following day, about 12 m., with the same position in line
with the brigade as the preceding day, we were advanced
immediately in rear of another line of troops. The distance and
speed with which we were required to move before engaging the
enemy, together with the annoyance and confusion consequent
upon our moving so close in rear of other troops, threw us into
battle under serious disadvantages. The fatigue of the men and
the deranged condition of the line are some of the prominent
evils invariably and unavoidably experienced under the above
circumstances. We engaged the enemy but a few minutes before
the entire line gave way under the apprehension that our position
was being turned by a flanking party of the enemy. Before the
work of reforming was over another line of our troops advanced
over the ground thus given up and the necessity of our returning
to the fight was obviated.

The general bearing of the command was highly creditable.

I have before this furnished a list of my killed and wounded.

Respectfully, &c.,

Col., Comdg. Third Arkansas Regt.

Lieut. KERR,
Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Robertson's Brigade.

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 30. Part II, Reports. Serial No. 51.]


First Sergeant
Sep 28, 2010
Ever read the novel "the Barefoot Brigade" pretty entertaining read & follows two brothers with the 3rd Arkansas through the war. Good work of fiction. :thumbsup:


Sep 23, 2013
I had an ancestor in the 3rd Ark. William Harrison Yates - PVT Company D, 3rd Arkansas Infantry, CSA GGGG Grand-Uncle. Wounded at Gettysburg July 2nd, 1863 and was released back to duty from the Petersburg, Va CSA Hospital on September 18th, but the regiment had already made its way to Chickamauga. So he missed out on that one. He was admitted again to a hospital August 14, 1864 and released back to duty October 1, 1864.


Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Mar 22, 2009
Collierville, TN
My Paternal Grandfather’s brother was in the 3rd Arkansas.
Barton P. Pritchard - Killed 2 July 1863 at Gettysburg.

I traveled to Little Rock to see the flag of the 3rd Arkansas in the State Dept musuem. But they only take them out of storage every 10 or 20 years for display. I missed it by a few months.