Chancellorsville 3rd Alabama Infantry at Chancellorsville

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
As part of O'Neal's Alabama Brigade (Rodes' old brigade), Robert E. Rodes' Division, Second Corps, ANV, at Chancellorsville the 3rd Alabama Infantry would take part in Jackson's march around Hooker's flank and the attack on the XI Corps on May 2. The following day saw the ferocious battle over Hooker's line at Fairview Heights, in which Rodes' Division would play a premier role. At about 8:30 a.m. Rodes would attack the Federal line at Fairview in support of Heth and Colston's divisions, which were stalling before a strong Union defense. Rodes placed himself alongside the 3rd Alabama and gave the order to the charge, shouting, "Forward, men, press on over friend or foe alike." The troops then took off into a hailstorm of shot and shell, the amassed Federal artillery atop the Fairview plateau concentrating their fire on Rodes' advance.

In the following letter by Captain Nick Weekes to his former captain, Captain T. Casey Witherspoon of Company A "Mobile Cadets", he gives a harrowing account of the regiment's charge.

Galveston, Jan. 11, 1903.
Captain T. C. Witherspoon
Waco, Texas.

My Dear Captain: Your welcome letter was received today and it put me in a reminiscent mood. My mind has just been straying back to my boyhood days, and I am living again among friends and companions of those happy times, which will never return, and when I stop to think so many of those that formed a part of my life then have passed out, too, and the few of us left behind are scattered far apart.

I promised you some letters I wrote during the war and in this will send two about Chancellorsville fight, in which we were together. My memory is good; time has not dimmed it, and I hope age has not illumined my imagination—that I do protest.

I have an hour to spare, but don't know that you have, or the patience either to bear with me. If I impose, forgive me, but should you read this letter and find me in error pray tell me of it, and I will "fess up" that I am getting old and imaginary. Sometimes I have told things so often that I wasn't quite sure after a time whether they did actually happen or not, but I have never ventured to tell this before, so it must be true. This old letter pinned here will suffice for the battle Saturday. I had scarcely handed it to Oliver Keeler when the ball opened again, and the command rang out: "Fall in. Attention, Third Alabama. In four ranks, right face. Forward march!" And we moved away from out of the clearing we occupied, into the wilderness again. Our orders were to keep 200 yards in the rear and conform to the movements of the line in front of us. We were in the third line of battle now, having been in the fight from 5 until 10 o'clock, as you know, we wound up that dance by moonlight. Fresh troops were put in the lead. As we advanced, solid shot and shell greeted us, and when we got nearer, grape accompaniment was added. There must have been fifty guns at play in front and flank. The biggest tree afforded no protection. One might as well have been in front as behind it. Limbs and the tops were falling about us as if torn by a cyclone. Then from the rear shells came shrieking over our heads from Carter's battalion of artillery. We were enveloped, as it were, in dense fog, the flashing of guns could be seen only a few feet away. A fellow can't see very far in a fight, but he sees a plenty when he is scared. At every breath we were inhaling sulfurous vapor fresh and hot from cannon mouth and bursting shell. What a din. What a variety of hideous noises. The ping of the minnie ball, the splutter of canister, the whistling of grape, the "where are you,'' "where are you" of screaming shells and the cannon's roar from a hundred mouths went to make up the music for the great opera of death.

I saw the arm and shoulder fly from the man just in front exposing his throbbing heart. Another's foot flew up and kicked him in the face as a shell struck his leg. Another disemboweled crawled along on his fours, his entrails trailing behind, and still another held up his tongue with his hand, a piece of shell having carried away his lower jaw. Others sank to earth as if to rest, and some plunged forward, as though tripped by a snare, never to rise again. I had just about made up my mind that "this is hell sure enough" when one, two, three, and the fourth shell dropped almost in the same spot as fast as one could count, exploding as they struck the ground—and all was darkness around me. I should say blackness, so black and thick I could feel it, and my feet seemed to rest on a sheet of flame. It could have been only a few seconds when I recovered to find myself standing alone and fourteen lying in the space of about ten feet around me. Among this number I recall the two Chapman brothers and Capt. Neal Robinson of the Lowndes Beauregards. At this juncture General Rodes dashed up to Captain Bonham who commanded our regiment, and ordered him to charge regardless of those in our front. We were near the colors and Captain Bonham in the lead, other regimental commanders, not having received the command, thinking Bonham had gone wild endeavored to stop him. You joined him and reported that our left was uncovered and exposed to a crossfire. He replied only by shouting out the command "Forward, Third Alabama! The order is forward—follow me!" The other regiments quickly responded. I can see Bonham now. What a magnificent picture, what a grand man he was to lead a charge! ''Knight of the Black Plume" you fitly styled him. When we reached the lines in our front they had lain down on the brink of a ravine, on the opposite side of which was the enemy's artillery, and half way down the slope their infantry line behind breastworks. The very air seemed black with shot. Over and down we went and our line melted away as if swallowed up by the earth.

It was here that Cecil Carter fell, the noblest and bravest of all. I halted an instant, and with the help of Jim Harrison, the old wheelhorse of the Company, dragged him to a tree. He opened his eyes and asked, "What are you fellows doing?" "Nothing, Cecil, you are wounded; don't try to get up." ''No, I am not. Where?" "In the breast," we said. He stuck his finger in the wound. "The bullet must have bounced out," he said. "I can't feel it." The blood gushed forth, and he sank back. I thought, dead, and his dream verified. We reached the bottom of the ravine and started up the other side in the face of artillery on top of the hill and infantry just below—and both busy. Here we encountered their abatis, which destroyed everything like order in our ranks and every man went on his own hook, crawling over and under the felled trees, not stopping to fire a shot till we struck the infantry and drove it back to their guns. The whole earth seemed to be ablaze before us, and other than gunpowder smoke was stifling us now. The woods were afire, and the leaves a foot thick on the ground with the wind blowing direct in our faces. There was a rush for the clearings and road, and then we stood huddled together under the pitiless rain of canister and shell till the flames swept by. As soon as the fire had passed we rushed back through still hot and burning leaves to our places. If you remember we recovered none of our wounded alive on this part of the field. Their charred bodies dotted the ground and we could see by the ashes where they had scratched the leaves away in a vain attempt to save themselves from the more awful fate of burning alive.

We were back at work again and had reached the embrasures of the enemy's batteries when a withering fire of musketry opened upon us from the rear. We thought it was our own people coming up to our support for we had hardly men enough left to drive the gunners from their places. So we laid down to escape this fire. I was hugging the ground pretty close. Hauxthall, the matchless soldier, remained standing. We called to him to lie down, not to make a fool of himself, that he would be shot in the back by our own men. He laughed and said it mattered little to him, where or how he was shot. From my proximity to Mother Earth I spied under the smoke the blue line of the Federal troops, and believe I was the first to give the alarm that they were Yankees in our rear—notwithstanding others to the contrary. Tom Carter of the "Wetumpkies" and I lit out on a flank movement to the rear. To have to die is bad enough, but being captured was out of the question. I think if a rabbit had jumped in front of us we would have originated that saying "Get out of my way, Mr. Rabbit, and let some one run who knows how." Carter was not, strictly speaking, a Sunday school boy, but a brave one—only a child in years, but a veteran in experience. I had the pleasure some years afterwards of meeting the Commander of the Federal column that got in our rear. A wholesouled fellow. It was in New York and we celebrated. With a letter I wrote a few days after the battle from our old camp, I will, to your great relief, wind up these ramblings.

After reading these two old war letters, let me have them and I will send you others that will refresh your memory about camp and the boys. With all my blessings for your happiness and prosperity believe me, always as of yore,
Your friend,
Nick

- Third Alabama!: The Civil War Memoir of Brigadier General Cullen Andrews Battle, CSA by Cullen A. Battle, ed. by Brandon H. Beck, pp. 70-74.

Here are several maps from The Campaign of Chancellorsville: A Strategic and Tactical Study by John Bigelow depicting the advance of O'Neal's Alabama Brigade on May 3. Note that O'Neal was wounded so the brigade was commanded by Col. Josephus M. Hall. Click to expand.
Chancellorsville map 1.jpg Chancellorsville map 2.jpg Chancellorsville map 3.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the Cecil Carter who is mentioned in Weekes' account. From Portraits of Conflict: A Photographic History of Alabama in the Civil War.

Cecil Carter and Willis E. Hall.jpg

Cecil Carter and Willis E. Hall text.jpg

Report of Captain M. F. Bonham, Third Alabama Infantry.

CAMP NEAR GROVE CHURCH, VA.,

May 9, 1863.

COLONEL: The Third Alabama was formed on the 29th ultimo, at 9 a.m., and moved to brigade headquarters; thence moved to its position in the grove of pines below Hamilton's Crossing, occupying the right of the line, which position it reached at 12 m. Here Colonel [C. A.] Battle was seriously injured by his horse rearing and falling in a ditch so far disabling him that I took command.

At 3.30 a.m. on the 30th, moved 1 mile to the right, in an open field, behind the slight breastworks there prepared. There not being room for the brigade, the seven right companies of the regiment were thrown back under cover of the bluff of [Massaponax] Creek, where many shell from the enemy's batteries across the river passed over and near us, but did no harm.

May 1, at 3.30 a.m., roused and moved forward above Fredericksburg in the direction of the United States Ford, reaching a point on the Plank road diagonally opposite the enemy's lines at 1 p.m., where knapsacks were left and regiment prepared for action. Formed in line of battle, and advanced to the right of the road, where Colonel Battle, who had returned, was again injured by leaping a ditch, which wrenched his back so severely, that he was compelled to stop. After passing through a field and reaching another road, we marched by the left flank, inclined to the right, and gained our position in the second line, immediately behind ---- battery.

At 6 p.m. again put in motion, regained the Plank road, followed it 3 miles, and bivouacked for the night.

May 2, moved at sunrise up the plank road, and, after a circuitous march of nine hours, in which many men fainted and fell by the roadside, formed, in line of battle on the Plank road, in the enemy's rear. The dispositions for battle having been made, at 6 p.m. we advanced, the right of the Third [Alabama] resting on the road. We advanced with order and regularity through the woods half a mile; encountered the enemy's first line behind a breastwork of fallen timber, which was broken and routed with[out] our movement being a moment checked. The firing of my command was executed in excellent order, the front line firing and loading as they marched on, while the rear came to the front, fired and loaded as the march continued. Leaping over the breastworks we swept onward and over a line of intrenchments, routing the enemy, capturing one cannon and two caissons, and, through that fire of shell, grape, canister, and musketry, moved forward to a second and stronger line of intrenchments, which were speedily occupied, the enemy retiring in disorder after a few rounds. At this point we captured two cannon and one stand of colors. Here, after having driven the enemy 1 1/2 miles without a moment's check, darkens prevented farther pursuit.

The regiment was soon collected and casualties ascertained to be slight. Officers and men, veterans of two years and new recruits, behaved with the greatest gallantry throughout the charge. The color-bearer, Sergt. Hendrix Hardy, Company G, was particularly distinguished for his daring.

The regiment bivouacked for the night behind the intrenchments, the right of the Third resting, as before, on the Plank road.

May 3, at sunrise, many shell passed over and exploded near us, but resulted in no further casualties. At 7 a.m., being in the third line, we began the advance through the thick undergrowth to the left of the road, our right resting still on the road. At a distance of 600 yards, we came up with the second line (Trimble's division), which, under the deadly fire of solid shot, shell, grape, and canister, refused to advance. We marched boldly over them, and halted momentarily 100 yards in advance, to enable the left of the brigade to come up. Here the first line came running back in disorder, with fearful reports of the carnage farther to the front. Having now passed from the third and reserve line to the front, we pushed rapidly forward, broke the enemy's line behind a breastwork of fallen timber, over which we passed. Being now exposed to a most furious storm of solid shot, shell, and grape, directed up and bordering on the road, we pressed steadily forward toward the enemy's batteries. The crashing of trees and storm of shot were fearful, but did not check our advance. Nearing the batteries, a part of the First Battalion crossed the road and advanced directly in front of the batteries, while the main body gained a slight cover in the woods to the left, from which a continuous fire was kept on their infantry and artillery. This position was stubbornly maintained until a second line, coming up to our support, pierced our brigade near the center and then, retired, having rendered no material assistance, but deranging our line by the movement, and completely, exposing its left by their withdrawal. Having now penetrated deep into the enemy's lines; having a heavy force immediately in front, and flanked on the left, while the battle still raged to our rear on the right, to avoid capture I slowly withdrew to the line of breastworks carried early in the day. The men were exhausted from our rapid charge, were suffering from hunger, and had been somewhat separated by the rapid movements of the morning, but were soon collected, and pressed forward to the battle, in which they remained until the enemy had been driven in confusion from their stronghold.

In the engagements of the 2nd and 3rd instant, there were individual instances of bravery and heroic endurance after wounds had been received, but the brief space of a report leaves me no room to mention so many. The conduct of many officers in cheering on their commands was most praiseworthy, and contributed much to our success. Under these circumstances even new recruits fought as boldly as tried veterans.

The evening of the 3rd, the 4th and 5th, and morning of the 6th we remained behind the trenches fronting the Plank road, on the plateau occupied by the enemy's batteries during the engagement of the 3rd.

At 2 p.m., 6th instant, we formed, and began the rapid march to our old camp, which we reached at 10.30 p.m. having plunged in mud and miry ruts and waded swollen streams, thus accomplishing the most arduous march of the war. About half my command arrived at night; the others came in early in the morning of the 7th instant.

M. F. BONHAM,

Captain, Commanding Third Regiment Alabama Volunteers.

Colonel E. A. O'NEAL,

Commanding Brigade.

Last edited:
I'll give this a BUMP for the anniversary.

I don't think a flag belonging to the 3rd Alabama survives, at least not in the Alabama Department of Archives & History anyway, but here is the flag of the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment, same brigade. It is a Richmond Depot 3rd Bunting Issue, issued to the regiment in April 1863 and captured at Chancellorsville, May 3, by the 111th Pennsylvania in a Federal counterattack.

5th_Alabama_Infantry_flag.jpg

http://digital.archives.alabama.gov/cdm/singleitem/collection/photo/id/18585/rec/309

Back