39 acres at Deep Bottom saved

I remember reading about Deep Bottom in Noah Trudeau's "The Last Citadel..." and wondering what was still there. I have not been to that part of Richmond.

"While there are no concrete plans for walking trails, interpretative signs or ecological projects yet, Agelasto said the there’s new significance for the battles at Deep Bottom given a recent proposal by Richmond 2nd District Councilwoman Kim Gray to memorialize black Union soldiers whose units also fought there."

Maybe something will happen with that in my lifetime.

Sirs / Ma'ams, my apologies for the thread necromancy...

HENRICO COUNTY NEWS
Historic Civil War battlefield to be protected in Henrico County
Katelyn Harlow
Aug 15, 2023 / 12:13 PM EDT

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — An easement has been issued by the Department of Historic Resources to protect land in an eastern part of the county where a Civil War battle took place. The easement encompasses more than 2.7 acres of property — referred to as the Perrault Tract — on which the Second Battle of Deep Bottom occurred. The battle was a part of an attempt by Union General Ulysses S. Grant to capture the City of Petersburg, said the Department of Historic Resources. The Second Battle of Deep Bottom is an especially significant part of the nation's history because of its association with the contributions of the United States Colored Troops during the Civil War.

Full article here - https://www.wric.com/news/local-new...attlefield-to-be-protected-in-henrico-county/

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

When I went to the link provided, the newspaper wanted me to subscribe before I could read or see the article. I visited Deep Bottom and New Market Heights area in June. There is a CW Trails sign on Kingsland Road at a small gravel driveway. About 50 yards from the entrance is a historical marker. Continuing up the driveway for about 500 yards through the trees, there is a house which appeared to be vacant. The backyard of the house is a rail fence along Fourmile Creek. There are two historical markers along the fence. Could this be part of the battlefield being saved?

The first sign you see as you turn in.
CWT 100_Birney's Div Attacks New Market Heights.JPG

The two signs at Fourmile Creek. The foliage was so thick you can barely see down into the creek. The banks are high and steep at this point.
CWT 102_Birney's Div Attacks New Market Heights Across Four Mile Creek.JPG

CWT 103_Birney's Div Attacks New Market Heights Across Four Mile Creek.JPG

CWT 103_Birney's Div Attacks New Market Heights.JPG

When I visited Deep Bottom about 35 years ago there was nothing more than a dirt and gravel boat landing at the end of the road. I don't recall any markers at the site though there was a state marker on New Market Road nearby. Glad to see things are changing.

When I visited Deep Bottom about 35 years ago there was nothing more than a dirt and gravel boat landing at the end of the road. I don't recall any markers at the site though there was a state marker on New Market Road nearby. Glad to see things are changing.
The Deep Bottom boat landing area was the site of intense Native American occupation for at least 7.000 or 8,000 years, if not longer. I went there a handful of times over 10 or 15 years and picked up things that had washed out of the bank and onto the sandy area between the base of the bank and the water. There were a number of projectile points and a bunch of pottery frangments. I found one cartridge case for a Henry rifle and maybe something else Civil War related but that was it. Eventually I turned it over to the Archaeological Research Center for the state of Virginia. By that time the bank was growing grass and shrubs that cut down on erosion.

As I remember it, the area was nice and peaceful. There was a dock area you could fish from. Across the river was a wildlife refuge so the area probably had not changed much since the war.

Back